Author Topic: Realforce 87U concerns  (Read 4019 times)

Offline bigman7

Realforce 87U concerns
« on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 19:23:51 »
Hello, first time posting on here. I recently bought myself a Topre keyboard. I actually bought two, an HHKB and a Realforce 87U with 55g domes, I returned the HHKB because I wasn't impressed with its quality for 200 bucks. I kept the Realforce, and while I do enjoy the Topre switches, they're not as great as I could've hoped, although perhaps this is because I came from glorious buckling springs.

My first concern is that the arrow keys on this Realforce are pretty mushy, like A LOT mushier than the rest of the keys. Not sure why this could be, but the arrow keys to me almost feel like the 45g domes on the HHKB which I didn't like. Caps lock, ctrl, and alt keys also feel kinda mushy and they aren't stabilized super well.

I like the keyboard but for the money I would've expected better. I think I'll demo it for a couple of months and then go back to my Unicomp and see whether I really prefer the Topre switches (maybe sell this thing and build myself a custom with Box Jades, which is something else I wanted to do).

Offline Wetherbee

Re: Realforce 87U concerns
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 19:33:35 »

Sounds like you prefer clicky switches.

45G Topre is barely tactile, bordering on linear.

Offline bigman7

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 19:42:39 »
I enjoy the tactility of the 55g domes, just not sure why the arrow keys and some of the other keys feel less tactile. And yeah the 45g domes on the HHKB were not to my liking. Just wish Unicomp made a TKL model m, the one I have just takes up too much space.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 15:48:52 »
For some reason topre is pretty inconsistent with the keys most of the time the alpha keys are the ones that sound and feel the best 

Offline Trev

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 16:22:10 »
That's because for those it's a connected sheet of domes, which seems to mean better tactility. Stuff like the arrows are individual domes or smaller sheets. Most mod keys are individual domes again.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 16:31:36 »
Just wish Unicomp made a TKL model m, the one I have just takes up too much space.

sounds like an ssk would be right up your alley

Offline bigman7

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 19:21:47 »
Would love one of those but they're a bit pricey unfortunately.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 00:29:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2019, 20:47:54 by alienman82 »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:42:51 »
I'm not too sure about the inconsistencies but I've only owned 45g Topre and the arrows keys feels about the same as rest of the keys.

May I ask if you bought it brand new or second hand?  If it's second hand I wonder if the previous owner might've messed around with it before.

But all in all, everyone have different preference and it sounds like you like more tactile harder switches and that's ok.  Topre are not well known for that so maybe look into other switches that fit that category.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 18:06:28 »
Maybe look into fitting bke domes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 10:04:24 »
45g are nowhere near linear...lol...

But as far as really soft arrow keys..shouldn't be....I would suspect dome swap out unless you bought it new....

Some of the mod keys are a bit different and they don't feel super stable (ctrl is a good example) but they should still feel similar in weight to the rest of the keys.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 06:52:58 »
I had almost the same issue as you, I wanted to change my rubber dome keyboard, so I started to search for the best keyboard that I could find. People mentioned Topore a lot, so I decided to buy it. When I got the keyboard it was nice to experience since I came from rubber domes, but after a while, I just couldn't enjoy the experience, so I dug more on the mechanical keyboard's world until I found switches that I like. Then I decided just to use mechanical keyboards, and it was just better than Torpe. Don't get me wrong Topre are excellent keyboards but I feel like they are mushy and the tactile at the top has a weird feeling that even after using it for a long time I just couldn't get used to it.

Offline method_

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 07:56:03 »
Would love one of those but they're a bit pricey unfortunately.

if you search ebay, I'm sure you can get one for under $200.  or you can just get the full size one for like $50.

I wish, but in the good state I've only seen them much more expensive unfortunately.
thock program.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 21:09:05 »
On my 87u, which I’m typing on now, I don’t notice the mushiness you mention.  The arrow keys (and the other keys you mention) are not mushier than other keys. They have clear tactility; they’re much like other 45g keys on the board and heavier than the 30g keys.  But I’m not a fan of BS switches.  I have a Model M that I don’t use because the switches feel like too much work to me.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 18:22:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2019, 20:48:16 by alienman82 »

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 15:53:17 »
Hello, first time posting on here. I recently bought myself a Topre keyboard. I actually bought two, an HHKB and a Realforce 87U with 55g domes, I returned the HHKB because I wasn't impressed with its quality for 200 bucks. I kept the Realforce, and while I do enjoy the Topre switches, they're not as great as I could've hoped, although perhaps this is because I came from glorious buckling springs.

My first concern is that the arrow keys on this Realforce are pretty mushy, like A LOT mushier than the rest of the keys. Not sure why this could be, but the arrow keys to me almost feel like the 45g domes on the HHKB which I didn't like. Caps lock, ctrl, and alt keys also feel kinda mushy and they aren't stabilized super well.

I like the keyboard but for the money I would've expected better. I think I'll demo it for a couple of months and then go back to my Unicomp and see whether I really prefer the Topre switches (maybe sell this thing and build myself a custom with Box Jades, which is something else I wanted to do).

I have a Leopold FC660C.  For some reason, my arrow keys are also slightly mushier.  I think it's just the general inconsistency of topre domes or perhaps because it's not part of the sheet as someone else suggested.  At first I was pretty miffed about it, but after owning the board for about a year it doesn't really bother me anymore.