Author Topic: from theory to practice  (Read 2613 times)

Offline nesiax

• key64 libre keyboard
from theory to practice
« on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:54:17 »
Hello People.

We had setup a new youtube channel to post videos related to the key64 keyboard.

You can see our first video at the following url ( html5 video, no flash required, no h.264 )

The above video have been recorded using the following tools under Debian GNU/Linux :

We used a 21:9 template of 1120x480 pixels available for download.

Ktouch lecture used in this video is available for download.

The template is used to delimit the area in the screen to record using recordmydesktop application.

camorama is used to display output from the usb camera.

ktouch is used as a typing tutor.

oggz-tools is used to chop the video.

arista-gtk is the tool used to convert from '.ogv' which is the record file format used in record my desktop and encode in webM format (a.k.a. vp8 royalty free codec) so you can see with a html5 standard browser using a resolution of 1280x720 pixels.

More info ...

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 23:01:06 by nesiax »
now: key64.org with cherry blue keys and dsa keys |  before: noppoo choc mini with cherry brown keys
Check out the key64.org project , A Libre * Design, Minimalist, Ergonomic, Splittable, Symmetric, Compact 64 Keys, Eco-Friendly, Durable, Native Colemak Keyboard, Embedded Mouse and Firmware Programmable USB Keyboard.  * Free as in Freedom.
The key64 need a case, if you want to design it please contact us

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: from theory to practice
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 17:06:16 »
Fantastic!! This project has really come together nicely. I'm following up on your website.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 02:36:46 »
Love your work, thank you for the video and documentation of the production process.
Installing Ktouch as we speak :)

Really miss having some cherry blues as my Kinesis is cherry brown.
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline nesiax

• key64 libre keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:36:06 »
Fantastic!! This project has really come together nicely. I'm following up on your website.

Hi Gunnar ! thanks for your comment you have always been a fan of the key64 !

Love your work, thank you for the video and documentation of the production process.
Installing Ktouch as we speak :)

Really miss having some cherry blues as my Kinesis is cherry brown.

Hi Regicide ! nice to meet 'open source' hackers here but 'free software' hackers sounds better as freedom matters.

Regarting blues i prefer browns by a huge margin, i only used blues because those were the only ones i could buy online.

When it comes to keycaps DSA PBT feels amazing, i initially used row based keycaps but i found they to be a nightmare when it comes to ergonomic layouts, they only make sense on row based keyboard.

For the next key64 revision i will dissasembly a cherry g80-3800 i bought a few days ago, as i will like to test cherry reds, i think they will adapt more to my typing style, the next revision will be focused on making the key64 a cheaper DIY process.

I hope to make a list of lecture to test keyboards, something like the acid3 test for browsers but this one is for keyboards, so people can judge keyboards according to their needs.

This way we can test many fields, for example:
* typing documents
* typing programming languages C, C++, Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, XML, HTML, LaTeX, etc..
* typing regular expressions. ( i consider this the mother of all tests )

now: key64.org with cherry blue keys and dsa keys |  before: noppoo choc mini with cherry brown keys
Check out the key64.org project , A Libre * Design, Minimalist, Ergonomic, Splittable, Symmetric, Compact 64 Keys, Eco-Friendly, Durable, Native Colemak Keyboard, Embedded Mouse and Firmware Programmable USB Keyboard.  * Free as in Freedom.
The key64 need a case, if you want to design it please contact us