Author Topic: Layout theory: hexagonal grid vs square grid  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Sciurid89

Layout theory: hexagonal grid vs square grid
« on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:27:47 »
Traditional touch-typing suggests that each finger should handle a column of keys, but of course, the standard keyboard doesn't align columns, and so that's spawned a number of models that arrange keys in a square grid. Fine - it's a nice idea, and it seems to enhance the implementation of traditional typing technique.

After analyzing my own technique, I found out that it
a) is not traditional
b) doesn't work as well on a square grid layout

The attached picture shows what I think is actually happening - the keys are acting as a hexagonal grid. What's the important difference? In square grids, the vertically nearby keys are either n or sqrt(2)*n distance away. In hexagonal grids, the vertically nearby keys are both (approximately) sqrt(3)/2 distance away. In practical typing, many users seem to dynamically adjust which fingers hit which keys based on desired digraphs to strike, etc. Example: for the digraph "ER", I obviously am going to use my middle and index fingers. But for "TR", I might also be inclined to use those two fingers, rather than strike both with the index! Normally I press O with the ring finger, but for "PO" I use ring+middle.

The need for such techniques is reduced with optimized layouts like Colemak, etc., but I wonder if a dynamic layout scheme that threw the one-to-one finger-to-key mapping concept out the window might come up with something even better.29494-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 16:37:11 by Sciurid89 »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: Layout theory: hexagonal grid vs square grid
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:48:12 »
Traditional touch-typing suggests that each finger should handle a column of keys, but of course, the standard keyboard doesn't align columns, and so that's spawned a number of models that arrange keys in a square grid. Fine - it's a nice idea, and it seems to enhance the implementation of traditional typing technique.

After analyzing my own technique, I found out that it
a) is not traditional
b) doesn't work as well on a square grid layout

The attached picture shows what I think is actually happening - the keys are acting as a hexagonal grid. What's the important difference? In square grids, the vertically nearby keys are either n or sqrt(2)*n distance away. In hexagonal grids, the vertically nearby keys are both (approximately) sqrt(3) distance away. In practical typing, many users seem to dynamically adjust which fingers hit which keys based on desired digraphs to strike, etc. Example: for the digraph "ER", I obviously am going to use my middle and index fingers. But for "TR", I might also be inclined to use those two fingers, rather than strike both with the index! Normally I press O with the ring finger, but for "PO" I use ring+middle.

The need for such techniques is reduced with optimized layouts like Colemak, etc., but I wonder if a dynamic layout scheme that threw the one-to-one finger-to-key mapping concept out the window might come up with something even better. (Attachment Link)

I already do that. Use the most comfortable finger instead of the proper one.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:58:27 »
What you've illustrated there is a variety of symmetric staggering rather than the more common offset staggering.  See deskthority wiki for more details and 7bits hyper-micro keyboard concept for a mini board very similar to what you've drawn.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:32:50 »
What you've illustrated there is a variety of symmetric staggering rather than the more common offset staggering.  See deskthority wiki for more details and 7bits hyper-micro keyboard concept for a mini board very similar to what you've drawn.
I believe these are the designs which are referred to.

Offline Torious

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:06:23 »
I think moving fingers up and down their own columns is simply more ergonomic. No expert, but afaik staggered layouts lead to all kinds of weird stretching and bending, no matter how subtle...