Author Topic: Thoughts on Polyester ?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Thoughts on Polyester ?
« on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 21:27:56 »
It's plastic.

You put it in the dryer, it's toasted plastic.  Then you wear it 24/7..

potentially Toxic ??

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Thoughts on Polyester ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 21:40:28 »
Anything is. You know that.

But polyester is pretty inert.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 22:02:39 »
basically the best fabric for silkscreening clothes

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 22:12:19 »
basically the best fabric for silkscreening clothes

Without a doubt. I doubt that actual silk has been used for screens in decades.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 22:36:01 »
potentially Toxic ??

wear toxic clothes become hulk

stronk

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 04:24:17 »
I never wear polyester. It doesn’t breath correctly and most of the time is looks cheap. Only wool/cotton/leather.

And silk ties of cause.

Also Synthetic fibers are highly flammable so I don’t wear them to work for that reason alone. My white coat is cotton, so are my shirts. Pants are cotton or wool. 

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 12:18:01 »
I never wear polyester. It doesn’t breath correctly and most of the time is looks cheap. Only wool/cotton/leather.

And silk ties of cause.

Also Synthetic fibers are highly flammable so I don’t wear them to work for that reason alone. My white coat is cotton, so are my shirts. Pants are cotton or wool. 

Yesterday I went to the prom, and I didn't wear a tie. Ties look stupid on me and I much prefer just a shirt and a jacket.
My father has a wool suit and it is quite expensive
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Olumin

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 14:28:23 »
Yesterday I went to the prom, and I didn't wear a tie. Ties look stupid on me and I much prefer just a shirt and a jacket.
My father has a wool suit and it is quite expensive

Most suits are traditionally made of pure wool, modern ones often of a poly-wool blend (would avoid). The tie-less look is unfortunately very common these days. I personally couldn't possibly wear a jacket without a tie. If it is too hot to wear a tie, I would drop the jacket altogether.

People who think ties don’t look good on them often wear ill-fitting suits or shirts. The choice of the right collar for your face shape is also important. I for example avoid shark collars. But my preferred style of suit is from the 1950s, so what I wear is mostly very traditional, but not too formal. I tend to combine rough-wool or tweed wool jackets with slacks, and only rarely wear matching 2-piece suits. This style is less formal and more versatile.

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 21:50:31 »
Any suit worth wearing is quite expensive- the cheap ones look like garbage! And if you've got a non-standard body shape, you pretty much have to go custom. So bloody glad that I don't have reasons to own suits anymore... even if they fit well, they are really not that comfortable.

I wear polyester all the time- still doesn't seem to be anything better than it when it comes to sports clothing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 23:46:53 »

doesn't seem to be anything better

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_White_Suit

I am so going to watch that.

Reading the Wikipedia article, my first thought was "ultra durable white fabric that doesn't take dye? he's invented Spectra!" (well, before the radioactive part).

Edit: The class of fabrics that Spectra came from came out around the same time as the film, too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 June 2021, 23:50:08 by jamster »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 00:34:08 »

Offline Olumin

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 06:28:57 »
Any suit worth wearing is quite expensive- the cheap ones look like garbage! And if you've got a non-standard body shape, you pretty much have to go custom. So bloody glad that I don't have reasons to own suits anymore... even if they fit well, they are really not that comfortable.

I wear polyester all the time- still doesn't seem to be anything better than it when it comes to sports clothing.

Since the style of suit I prefer is not considered modern, I get my jackets and pants very affordably second hand. The quality of vintage suits is often very good. High quality cotton dress shirts are also a lot less expensive second-hand then one might think, and often times they were only worn once or twice by the seller anyway.

The style I wear is more loosely cut then contemporary fashion, and therefore quite conformable to wear over long periods. This might have been a consideration back in the day as well, when the suit was still a uniform and worn all-day.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 07:15:07 »
I hate polyester for its crappy texture and ba breathability. I wear only cotton.

Not toxic, however.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:06:48 »
I don't like to think how much polyester fuzz that gets washed into the ocean from washing machines.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:21:29 »
Bottleneck is cotton underwear,  it sticks to you in the summer.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 09:20:29 »
I like several fabrics for clothes in general, but would not consider anything but cotton for underwear.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 16:49:09 »
There's an alternative to that which would allow for that sticking issue not to be a problem and air to circulate properly.   
I tend to stick w/ Boxer Briefs for comfort and support.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 17:37:46 »
There's an alternative to that which would allow for that sticking issue not to be a problem and air to circulate properly.   

Cotton boxers will still stick when you get swamp butt during summer.  Polyester is the only kind that breaths gud' enuff.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 18:51:00 »
What do a tight pair of pants and a cheap hotel have in common?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 20:36:20 »
I had to Google it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 23:34:11 »

Cotton boxers will still stick when you get swamp butt during summer.  Polyester is the only kind that breaths gud' enuff.

You just need a sexy pair of panties to hug all your curves softly. Thongs are perfect for catching that errant butt sweat during Summer months!

Offline jamster

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 01:33:21 »

The answer is obvious- go commando.