Author Topic: Just ordered my first Mechanical . . .  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
Just ordered my first Mechanical . . .
« on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 20:56:02 »
Let's get it out of the way: I do not have the budget you guys have. I can't do group buys, or justify spending hundreds on Any portion of a keyboard. If this sounds overly defensive i am sorry but I've recently been burned by several 'open and friendly' communities where I will outright go 'Hey. this is my budget. This is the board I'm picking as a starting point. Which of THESE things would make the most impact so I can make the best use of avalible funds.'

'LOL that is ewaste'

When said board is, as far as I'm aware, seen as a popular entry point and, worse off, the subject of one youtber's 'Here is a good cheap hundred dollar budget build.'

What I have bought is branded as a GK61, but this one is fully prebuilt so I do not know if it's a knockoff. Only that the deal looked good enough for me to jump on based on reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYHPCHD

I'm probably going to pick up heavier springs. Whether that's for a total replacement, or just for select keys is yet to be determined:

Roadmap:
Figure out what key caps I want, as that is a definite 'I want something that is... Me.' It'll probably be a bash of several sets pieced together as opposed to going all in on a bespoke thing. Bright red esc key is a definite. the rest is somewhat malliable, though I do want a stepped capslock, white/off white quirty segment. Number row, shift, windows keys grey. Ctrl Alt Fn keys black. Prefer a rounded 'terminal keyboard' style key shape. No idea what profile would be best given the base is, at least at stock, a plank.

I want varying switches throughout. Specifics depend on what research tells me on long/stepp/graidant springs, and switch details. However I want caps lock to be a VERY heavy key. Talking hundred and fifty gram heavy. Shift/Ctrol/Alt/Fn having a tactility to them, QWERTY being the lightest on the board, space being heavie, or at least having a more authoritative solidity. Definitely will play about with foam and fill for the space bar.

My stepdad has a fairly well kitted shop of tools. I am half tempted to see if he can help me build a custom case including a lid that attache via magnates when traveling. That is a VERY long term plan though.

Hell. all of this is long term. By nessecity any changes are slow and piecemiel. Springs here. Lube and strips there, etc etc.

Am I being overly ambitious?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Just ordered my first Mechanical . . .
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 02:54:38 »
I think a bit overly ambitious to be modifying a 23 dollar keyboard that far. Its like ricing out a honda civic.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 18:31:35 »
I think a bit overly ambitious to be modifying a 23 dollar keyboard that far. Its like ricing out a honda civic.

Fair opinion.

On the other hand. Depending o ncolor variant even for the same board it is fifty bucks (I'm only refrencing the other opticals. not the mechanicals.)

Plus 'it's a low cost keyboard. I have to learn somewhere. Start somewhere.

The case transplant is a bit over the top but that's... a very long term plan that might not even happen.

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 18:43:30 »
Am I being overly ambitious?
Yes. I agree with Sup. Since you've already ordered it, see if you like it before committing to any future plans for it. My suggestion would've been buying used; Razer Blackwidow, Rosewill RK9000, older Corsair boards, and other older boards like Filco Majestouch to name a few examples.

Offline garynguyen

• Tap hoa Phim
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 September 2023, 00:19:09 »
Hey, I really like your approach to this hobby, and your roadmap. To be honest, I also dont think GK61 is a good keyboard for 50 bucks, but you can try the stock first, then replace the components (keycap, stab, switch, case) until you find your "best receipt". Then trying another custom keyboard later.
AMD 5600X - RX 6600XT

Ducky One 2, Leopold 900RBT
Keychron Q2, Enter67, Tofu65, Sunset80, Wind Z75