Author Topic: Matias Quiet Pro for PC  (Read 17422 times)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
Matias Quiet Pro for PC
« on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:39:21 »
This is not really a review, it's just my impressions of the Matias Quiet Pro.
It is full of my opinion and observations,  your opinions and observations may very well vary.

I got a Matias Quiet Pro yesterday from mechanicalkeyboards.com.
It arrived new in box, factory sealed and well packaged for shipping.
Inside the shipping box was also the full size ducky wrist wrest I ordered and a hand written 'thank-you' from the shipper. :)

Documentation was minimal and really offered nothing of interest.  Basically it said "Plug it in and use it", in several languages.

Installation went smoothly. I just plugged it in and used it.  At work, On Windows XP Pro (SP3) it installed and in minute it was ready to type.
Taking it home and plugging it into Windows 8 was similarly without incident, plugged it in and it worked.
I guess reading the manual was worth it. ;)

The keyboard completely fulfills my expectations and then some.

The essential multimedia controls (volume up/down/mute) are conveniently available over the number pad and can be pressed directly without needing shift etc.

Three other media controls ('play/pause', 'rew', 'fwd') are accessed using the 'fn' key between the right 'alt' and 'ctrl' keys.
On this PC version of the keyboard the 'fn' key has no other documented use but some combinations of 'fn' and other keys do produce key messages.
The 'fn' key replaces the rightmost 'menu' key found on other keyboards. 
I honestly don't miss the menu key, and thus the 'fn' key does not impact my typing at all. 
There is no 'windows' key on the right side of the space bar. 
The right alt/ctrl/shift perform as expected with the necessary report for US and multilingual layouts.
I checked out the keyboard scan codes and found all the expected results.

There are three extra USB connections that are smartly placed.
There is one on the back that is convenient for mouse.
The other two, placed one on each side are handy for plugging in thumb drives etc.

The keyboard itself is free of badges and logos thus presenting a clean sophisticated appearance.
I can use this keyboard in any environment without characterizing myself, but I took it home as it is just too nice to leave at the office... maybe I'll get another one :)

Typing on the keyboard is exactly what I had hoped it would be.  I had originally tried a different keyboard with cherry brown switches but felt that the key-switches were a little
light for my usage and as I tend to rest my fingers on the key caps the cherry brown would activate unintentionally.
The Matias Quiet pro provides a more tactile click and less noise.
It feels clickier than the browns and requires more pressure to press the keys.
While it is not silent it makes less noise than my wifes microsoft natural 4000, although that may be a result of our own typing styles.

Totally subjectively the feel of the keyboard is wonderful, It doesn't slow me down and makes we wish I were a better typist so I could type a lot faster.

The keys press and release cleanly, a few of them felt a bit clickier than others but that has gone away now that they have been used a few times.

Some of the keys light up when pressed; caps-lock,  scroll-lock, and num-lock all have an LED under them.
They are independent and turn off when pressed again.
The num-lock and scroll-lock keys also show light under the key skirt as well as through the window on the front of the key.

The underside of the key board hosts two sturdy height adjustment / angle feet and a pair of rubber pads that are not very effective.
If I was to point out a design flaw in this keyboard it would be that the bottom rubber pads are inadequate to the task of holding this fairly hefty solid feeling keyboard from moving around.
Additionally since there are only two rubber feet, the rest of the weight of the keyboard is resting on the keyboard underbody itself, which transmits typing noise to the work surface.  Putting the keyboard on a piece of bubblewrap to keep it off of the desk made the keyboard even quieter. 
I'm thinking larger rubber feet and at least two more sound dampening rubber pads would be a benefit to making this keyboard stable and quieter.

The caps lock key is like a regular key but with a transparent window for the caps-lock status.
It doesn't have the traditional half-key width gap between it and its rightmost neighbor.
Apparently this is a tradition for Mac keyboards.  Somehow I'll manage to get past this and hope maybe the manufacturer will provide an option for this in the future.

I didn't find a specification for the number of key actuation lifetime but other ALPS switches are rated for 20M actuations.  The http://matias.ca website did mention they used better materials than the original ALPS switches and had in-lab testing that was passing 40 million keystrokes.
That compares well to cherry switches' 20M keystrokes for tactile and 50M for linear switches.

In summary, there are many keyboards that claim territory for; gaming, low profile, stylish, fast response time, construction materials etc. 
It is nice to find a keyboard that is intended for typing.
This keyboard is a work to be proud of and I'm happy I bought it.

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: Matias Quiet Pro for PC
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 00:05:43 »
@deepthawt

How do I generate the keycode of the "menu" key on this keyboard?

How do I generate the keycode of the right OS key on this keyboard?
(You referred to it as the right "windows" key.)

Reading your review makes me think that it is impossible to generate those keycodes on a Matias keyboard.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 12:21:28 »
@TotalChaos

Yeah I thought the same thing before I bought the keyboard, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal for me if the keyboard had them or not.  Fortunately for me that is the case.  I almost never used the menu key, and the single 'Left OS' key is the one I've always used.

@deepthawt
How do I generate the keycode of the "menu" key on this keyboard?

Turns out there is an alternative.
Shift+F10, seems to have the same effect in most apps, although it is not the same as the single key.
Also the right mouse key does context menu thing, if you can distance your fingers from the keytops.

How do I generate the keycode of the right OS key on this keyboard?
(You referred to it as the right "windows" key.)

As near as I can tell, I can't.
There is definitely a distinction between the left and right windows keys as
windows API calls them VK_LWIN and VK_RWIN with values of 0x5B and 0x5C respectively, and I have no idea how to produce the VK_RWIN value.

I notice that that right windows key is omitted on many keyboards, eg. microsoft natural 4000, some hp laptops and samsung laptops that I can see from here.

I doubt that this is a problem for mac users, I don't know if it is something that would be missed by a linux user.

Reading your review makes me think that it is impossible to generate those keycodes on a Matias keyboard.

I can only say that I don't see those labeled keys,  what i do have is a wide space bar and a Fn key that doesn't get in my way.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 08:39:38 »
Thanks for doing the review.  Glad you like the keyboard.

With regard to triggering the contextual menu key, a simple workaround would be to run an AutoHotkey script that remaps the Right Windows key to Menu.  If you need help with that, I can set one up for you.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:23:24 »
Thanks

The existing layout is fine for my needs, but I did download and try out AutoHotkey.
That sure makes it easy.
More

Offline Matias

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 23:39:03 »
Yes, AutoHotkey is pretty cool.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 22:34:38 »
With regard to triggering the contextual menu key, a simple workaround would be to run an AutoHotkey script that remaps the Right Windows key to Menu.  If you need help with that, I can set one up for you.
But there isn't a right windows key? How can you remap something which isn't there?

I've been looking for a good keyboard to use at work, and was keeping the Matias quiet pro near the top of my list... but having just looked at the picture I realize now that it is almost completely useless to me in a work capacity. I use the menu key very frequently whilst using the arrow keys. It sits perfectly aligned under my thumb while I navigate around.

I cannot understand why you design a full sized keyboard with only one key between right alt and right ctrl. The extra wide spacebar is of no use to me. The Fn key is of no use to me (at work). The loss of the right-win key is annoying but serves no real impact. The loss of the menu key makes this keyboard unfit for purpose. Very disappointing.

Offline Matias

Doh!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 02:28:01 »
But there isn't a right windows key? How can you remap something which isn't there?

Sorry, my mistake.  I was thinking of the Mini version.

You're right, the Quiet Pro has an Fn key in place of the Right Win key.  It's not possible for AutoHotkey to remap it.

I've been looking for a good keyboard to use at work, and was keeping the Matias quiet pro near the top of my list... but having just looked at the picture I realize now that it is almost completely useless to me in a work capacity. I use the menu key very frequently whilst using the arrow keys. It sits perfectly aligned under my thumb while I navigate around.

I cannot understand why you design a full sized keyboard with only one key between right alt and right ctrl. The extra wide spacebar is of no use to me. The Fn key is of no use to me (at work). The loss of the right-win key is annoying but serves no real impact. The loss of the menu key makes this keyboard unfit for purpose. Very disappointing.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that there will always be some people who are not satisfied with (at least) one of our design decisions.

Sadly, in this case, you are among them.  Sorry.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 18:46:52 »

I think you are probably one of the few exceptions that will use a keyboard in this manner..in which case this is not the keyboard for you...I think a vast majority of users don't use the right windows key and certainly not in the way you are...

But I do agree, it is odd that this was done...especially since the mini actually has it on both sides...

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:17:37 »
I use my left OS key all day long.
I use my right OS key all day long.
They are 2 different keys and they each do different things.

I use my "menu" key sometimes.

It would hurt nothing to leave all the prexisting ANSI standard keys in place like they have been for 28 years and just add 1 extra key for the Fn key.   Adding 1 extra Fn key onto the keyboard somewhere hurts nobody.  Adding 1 extra Fn key avoids endless complaints.  Some companies put the Fn key after the F12 key which is a perfect spot.

Many ppl only use their puter to play games.  These types of ppl probably don't care that you have chopped off a key here or there or remapped a key.  But for those of us who primarily do work, coding, science, data processing, running a business, we need all of our keys.  We actually use them.  Keyboards are used for lots of other things besides playing games.

I could buy a keyboard that had a bunch of extra keys, for example that had the full F-keys F13-F24, and an Fn key and a Matias key and whatever extra keys you want to put on.  As long as they don't interfere with the normal business use of the keyboard.

Or I could buy a keyboard that had just exactly the same old keys that I have been using since 1985.

But I can't buy a keyboard that has important keys chopped off, sorry.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:06:48 »
Keyboards didn't have windows keys in 1985...

And most people don't need both OS keys...the ones that do are the exception...

I'm not saying I agree with the decision but please don't act like a majority of people fall into your categories because you'd be wrong.  It is really quite simple, if it doesn't fit what you need, the keyboard isn't for you...It sounds like they actually looked into it and made a design decision..although the fact that the mini has both is a bit odd then..

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:56:19 »
This is why my keyboard has a full complement of 122-keys (and is programmable). That way, I can have all the normal keys everyone needs, all the extra super/fn/etc keys that people like to use, and any other key I might need in the future. It is all at my disposal.

I only need the one super key, as it only gets used for some shortcuts. I don't use the menu key mainly because it's been dropped from my keyboards that have space for it, and my main keyboard only has ctrl alt and spacebar on that row. It's from 1-31-84, so this is understandable.

I get to see a lot of students (who code) and small business owners in my line of work, most of them don't have (or seem to need) multiple windows keys, or a menu key. I don't know how the rising generation gets by, but they seem to manage.

point is: I think many people don't need those keys, and matias is okay to not include them. clearly, people that need them won't buy this keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:57:50 by dorkvader »

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:04:46 »
Yes they did have those keys in 1985.  They were on my keyboard and I sold a bunch of them.

They are not correctly called "windows keys".
Some people call them "Super Keys".  I call them "OS Keys".

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:08:23 »
Yes they did have those keys in 1985.  They were on my keyboard and I sold a bunch of them.

No, no! They are called either "Command keys" or "Meta keys".

:D
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:23:57 »

Maybe on your Amiga or a Mac they  had a similar key...but on PC they didn't have a windows key until much later...

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 19:22:41 »
I got the mini quiet pro for myself as my first keyboard with a reduced form factor. I LOVE IT! I may never go back to full-sized keyboards again! I like it so far, although I am not used to a mechanical keyboard that has such a high actuation point. I think this will be wonderful when the springs in the switches get a little worn in. Do you know of any good wrist wrests that accommodate the width of this keyboard?
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline Burz

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 03:02:19 »
I got the mini quiet pro for myself as my first keyboard with a reduced form factor. I LOVE IT! I may never go back to full-sized keyboards again! I like it so far, although I am not used to a mechanical keyboard that has such a high actuation point. I think this will be wonderful when the springs in the switches get a little worn in. Do you know of any good wrist wrests that accommodate the width of this keyboard?

The wrist rest I'm using with my mini Quiet Pro is full size, and I find it convenient to use with my mouse.

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 03:12:14 »
what difference matias alps tactile with brown/clear mx?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Burz

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 03:51:35 »
what difference matias alps tactile with brown/clear mx?

The quiet tactile switches are heavier than brown, 60gf actuation near the top instead of the middle; then the resistance drops to 35gf after actuation. They feel more tactile than browns. They are sound-dampened at the top and bottom of the keystroke, so there is no clacking and the sounds are more muted. The quiet tactile are also manufactured to (claimed) tighter tolerances so the variation in force between switches is stated at +/- 5gf... they feel very consistent. The Cherry MX tolerance is stated at +/- 20cN.

Even though the stated force is about the same as MX clears, I would guess the quiet tactile switches feel in-between browns and clears in heaviness. They actually feel a bit light to me (wearing off as I get used to them), but I generally don't use light keyboards.

Of course, they won't accept MX keycaps either.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 04:07:22 »
interest alps :p
I see your lovers alps,true? ;D
and where to buy alps keycap custom? :)

thanks
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"