Author Topic: [IC] Smol TKL - QMK compatible mini-TKL!  (Read 6302 times)

Offline iKirin

[IC] Smol TKL - QMK compatible mini-TKL!
« on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 15:12:11 »
Smol TKL INTEREST CHECK

Hi there!

You might not know me and that is totally fine. I've been interested in keyboards and how to design them since quite a while, and now it's time to reveal something that has been teased on a bunch of discords already - a budget-diy keyboard that adheres (mostly) to the TKL standard. It should provide a starting point to this hobby for people that have not soldered much or just want a board with a smoler price-point that they can use as a second board or gift to other people.

So without further ado - here it is! (and if you don't want to scroll further down - here is a link to the IC )!)

Smol TKL

Layout/Design choices

When going into the Smol TKL there were a bunch of goals that I wanted to achieve. First it should be in a 'larger' form-factor since that is barely existing for custom mechanical keyboards. Second it should not require insane SMD soldering skills and just use a regular proMicro. And as a final goal it should not break the bank.
And all those things factored in gave birth to the Smol TKL!

Features

• TKL keyboard without the fn-row
  • MX and ALPS support for all switches
  • ISO support
  • QMK compatible (due to the proMicro)
  • No LED/RGB support
  • Wallet-Friendly

Current Status

So, here's the thing: The PCB for the Smol TKL is already ready to be run with only the firmware needing some minor tweaks here & there. And I honestly don't know if there's demand for it to be run as a GB or if some vendors want to pick it up. But no matter which route it'll end up taking one thing that I've wanted from the start when working on this PCB: I'll not make a single cent on it and I want pretty much all that I'd make from it to go to a charity (like rainforesttrust.org).

Once I got figured out what I'll go for the contents of the kit will be decided. Personally I'm leaning towards 2 PCBs with a bunch of standoffs so the kit stays affordable. If you are interested in a case I'm currently working on a 3d printable sandwich mounted case that should work on *most* 3d printers.
I'll keep everyone that is interested updated! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for reading through all of this & hopefully checking out the IC!

Here's a link to the IC-form if you're interested!

Offline jaminb

Re: [IC] Smol TKL - QMK compatible mini-TKL!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 15:35:27 »
Interested , would this fit the CYGNUS?

Offline iKirin

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 15:43:01 »
To be honest, I don't know but I know that I'll be contacting the creator of the CYGNUS to check! :)

I've been working on the PCB since a few months but have not heard about that case until now!

EDIT: After a quick check (just the renders) I don't think it'd be compatible - the Cygnus has the USB-port in the middle while the Smol TKL has the integrated USB-port of the proMicro or other microcontroller you choose in the middle of the nav-cluster on the right.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2019, 15:46:07 by iKirin »

Offline vosechu

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 16:21:26 »
Have you considered donating to qmk?

Offline iKirin

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 16:48:47 »
Donating to QMK has been my second thought after I thought that I want to support a charity - however I did not find anyplace to donate to them so I chose a well rated & known charity instead :)

Offline yrneh

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 20:47:54 »
Would you be willing to run this pcb with a case as well? I know you plan to have a 3D printed one, but unfortunately I don't have an available 3D printer to use. I would rather purchase with the pcb.

Offline iKirin

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 02:50:40 »
Sorry for the late reply!

I'm in contact with some wonderful & talented people that are taking a shot at making an acrylic case for it - so there should be at least one case-vendor where you can get a case from :)

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 09:25:28 »
Sorry for the late reply!

I'm in contact with some wonderful & talented people that are taking a shot at making an acrylic case for it - so there should be at least one case-vendor where you can get a case from :)

I'm interested if there are files for an acrylic case available =D

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 13:12:03 »

Different USB position, different layout (nav cluster is closer to alphas), and also pro micro needs more space in the case.