Author Topic: Long time keyboard user, first time posting to geekhack  (Read 1156 times)

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
Long time keyboard user, first time posting to geekhack
« on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:06:18 »
Hello! I'm a software developer working for a large social network (yes, you've heard of them, no, not that one.) My day job mostly involves writing python and the occasional bit of html/css/js. My wife and my infant daughter are the light of my life.

I'm actually here because ideus encouraged me to post about the keyset I designed over on PMK. Finding that I don't meet the requirements for posting about my set, I figured the best thing to do was post an introduction and start working towards those requirements. :)

My normal setup is an fc660m with blues, a logitech trackman marble to the right of that, and a tp210 to round everything out. I thought I had found perfection with an fc660c modded with realforce stems, but the blues are so much more satisfying to type on. In a few days I'll actually be swapping the fc660c for a matias tactile pro with one of my coworkers, as that's the last major (modern) switch I haven't tried yet. I'm excited for the chance to try a new switch, but I hope I don't feel compelled to buy a matias board after we swap back.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
Re: Long time keyboard user, first time posting to geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:39:10 »
Welcome! I like Alps switches it's a shame they are not on more new boards.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.  :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:51:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I'm jealous that you live in the Bay Area. Not only is it just plain nice to live out there, there's a lot of Geekhackers in the area. Haata and others host a monthly meetup in the area so maybe you can get the word out about your set both in your posts and in real life.

Regardless, hope you enjoy your time here and that Matias board! ;)

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 21:50:09 »
Thanks for the welcome, both of you.

I'd love to attend a meet up sometime, but it'll depend on when it is. If it's not near the south bay (or santa cruz) it'll be pretty hard for me to get out to it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 05:16:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You are lucky that (a) you have found a switch that you really like already, and (b) you have coworkers who are open to the idea of swapping boards so you can try even more switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:07:02 »
I'm definitely lucky in that regard. My coworkers actually got me into MK's in the first place, after driving me up the wall with their keyboards I gave in and got my own.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:08:33 »
As a fellow Pythonista I welcome you! Shame you don't like your Topre Leopold, my Realforce is great for duck typing  :thumb:

I think you'll find the Matias interesting. A coworker of mine has a Quiet Pro and while he enjoys it, though he claimed it was less tactile than he was hoping.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 22:59:56 »
Don't take it as me not liking it. It's the board I reach for second, or when I need to be quiet. I just like the blues more. :)

I'm definitely intrigued by the matias switches. I hear they have a new switch that mimics what was in the AEKII. I wonder if that means salmon, cream or white.