Author Topic: Hi from Edmonton, Canada!  (Read 1557 times)

Offline U47

Hi from Edmonton, Canada!
« on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:21:51 »
Hi!

I've recently fallen down the keyboard rabbit hole. Was really upset this morning when I slept in too late and missed out on an Ebay listing I'd been watching for days, which ultimately sold for $28. Sad panda.

Cheers,
U47.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hi from Edmonton, Canada!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:27:07 »
Hello fellow Canadian, and welcome to Geekhack! There is lots of useful knowledge hidden in this website! Let me know if you have any questions I can try to answer!  :)

Offline U47

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:37:03 »
I figured I might as well put in the story of how I fell down the rabbit hole.

I'd been content to type away on my Apple keyboards, and for non-mechanical keyboards, they're pretty well made. But I started reading and came across the HHKB (which I had previously dismissed out of hand due to the cost—little did I know). The Topre switches sounded intriguing, so I figured I'd dip my toe in the water.

I took the plunge and bought a Realforce 87U a few months ago when NCIX had them on sale only to find a Realforce 87U (with silenced switches, no less) for sale locally in Kijiji of all places. Picked it up for half what I paid a new one. Kid I bought it from got it when he bid on a storage locker that hadn't been paid up. He made more from the keyboard sale to me than he did bidding on the storage locker, so win-win.

So I have great Realforces both at home and at work now. But, of course, now I want to try everything. So I have a few restoration projects on the go (Apple M0110, a couple of SGI boards) and a couple of new projects as well (Infinity, Ortholinear Atomic and Planck). Wallethack, indeed. 😒

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:39:54 »
Hi!

I've recently fallen down the keyboard rabbit hole. Was really upset this morning when I slept in too late and missed out on an Ebay listing I'd been watching for days, which ultimately sold for $28. Sad panda.

Cheers,
U47.

What was that listing for?  I'm wondering.

Offline U47

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:41:48 »
What was that listing for?  I'm wondering.

It was just for an Apple M0110 being sold for parts, but could likely have been functional. The case was beat up, but I'm short a few good switches for the M0110 I'm trying to restore. It would have been a great get for the parts.

The thing that really grinded my gears was that it was being sold from Ontario, so it would have been a cinch to get it shipped, and would avoid expensive shipping and duty costs. C'est la vie.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:39:46 »

It was just for an Apple M0110 being sold for parts, but could likely have been functional. The case was beat up, but I'm short a few good switches for the M0110 I'm trying to restore. It would have been a great get for the parts.

The thing that really grinded my gears was that it was being sold from Ontario, so it would have been a cinch to get it shipped, and would avoid expensive shipping and duty costs. C'est la vie.

I hope you come across them again in your area.  I know how you feel.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 05:14:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It sounds like you are not afraid to step into the water and restore older keyboards :)

Just as long as you do not take your keyboards into the water with you :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline U47

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 23:04:34 »
Well, with the M0110 I have right now I've cleaned the functional switches, and I've finished the first row of my lowpoly ripoff. 94985-0

Progress!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 04:55:50 »
Whoa!  Neat job!  Well done :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ