Author Topic: Greetings from sunny southern California from another IBM M13 fan  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Sonyaa

Hello everyone,

I found this site while looking for an IBM M13 black clicky keyboard for sale.  I am still looking for one at a reasonable price, not $250!
If you know of one for sale, please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

I have been using these keyboards since they were new and have always loved the trackpoint feature.  The use of a typical mouse
assumes that you have three hands and I assure you that I only have two!

I am a retired software/firmware engineer and my very first computer job was programming 8048-based keyboards for a company
called Cortron, A Division of Illinois Tool Works.  So I have been interested in keyboards since 1977.

Regards!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Greetings from sunny southern California from another IBM M13 fan
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 14:27:33 »
I have seen them go for around $100 or so on ebay.  You just have to keep your eyes peeled for them. There was one that was recently selling with a $75 opening bid and a $100 buy it now, but nobody bought it.  The trackpoint was not functional on it.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70001.0
That seller may relist it.  Maybe you can get in touch with that seller and see if he sold it already.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 01:15:37 »
I remember waiting for it to be relisted and it was up for about a day when it was taken down again, and hasn't been relisted since. My guess is that someone approached him locally and bought it outside of ebay. Just a guess, though. Might be coming back.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 05:14:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Snowdog has already linked the recent M13 discussion thread.

I like BS keyboards, having two full size Model M, one SSK and a second SSK on the way.

Swapping my right hand from keyboard to mouse and back again has always irked me, and I usually learn the keyboard shortcuts fairly quickly.

Maybe I should be looking for an M13 too :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 17:27:50 »
Well, I pointed.....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 04:58:51 »
Well, I pointed.....

I'm still mulling over an M122 ... there are some cheap ones around at the moment, even factoring in postage to Australia!

But they are all ISOish, and I don't have the time to change one to ANSI.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sonyaa

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 11:56:37 »

Thanks to everyone for your hints and advice.  I appreciate it!

I was the highest bidder on the auction Snowdog noted for quite a while, but then the
bidding got too rich for my pocketbook  :'(   I will have to wait for another one to come
down the pike.

Sonyaa

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:48:50 »
It got reposted and sold for $90 Buy It Now (plus $40 shipping).  Sounds like the pointer stick / nub was not functional on it anyway which it looks like you require.  Keep your eyes peeled, one will pop up.  Enter a search in eBay and save it as a stored search, then bookmark it and check it a few times a day.

Also, if the main desire is to have a mech keyboard and convenient use of a mouse, might I suggest a Data911 MDS2000 board?  It's a different format (more compact) but has a built in trackpad, and if you look at my prior threads, I happen to have a few for sale  :thumb: 

Otherwise you might consider a tenkeyless board, which puts the mouse much closer to your right hand than a full-size keyboard.  I rock a tenkeyless at work, and also a separate Leopold number pad which I just push up out of the way under my monitor until i need to use it.  It's not the same as what you've been doing for years, but you may find that it works well for you regardless.  I hear you though on having that pointer stick right on the board, if you know all the keyboard shortcuts and rarely use mouse it is convenient to have it right at your fingertips   :cool:

P.S. you can thank the people on this and other forums for driving the prices on these old boards sky high :)  i have a few that were just given to me years ago and they used to be worthless on the second hand market, and now look at the values.  maybe if you wait another few years nobody will care again and they'll be cheap LOL

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 09:11:50 »
Well, I bought one last year from this seller on eBay for $50 when he listed them for just $100. You could try sending him a message. Though he may have took a liking to the board seeing as the picture accompanying that ad has much nicer pictures than mine did at the time. Also he increased the price to $300 :P

The nearest modern equivalent might be the Tex Yoda. Though that one has a much smaller 60% footprint and Cherry MX switches.
They show up on Massdrop from time to time.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:39:14 »
Knock, Knock...