Author Topic: Finding a new chair.. any ideas?  (Read 40031 times)

Offline Maledicted

Re: Finding a new chair.. any ideas?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 23:21:06 »
I don't know how I would even sit in such a chair for an hour in order to try that. I'll never be in an environment where there's someone who drops that much money on just a chair.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 23:29:44 »
I don't know how I would even sit in such a chair for an hour in order to try that. I'll never be in an environment where there's someone who drops that much money on just a chair.
$200 is not much for a chair.

Adulting sux.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 23:54:56 »
$200 is not much for a chair.

Adulting sux.

I mean all of these $2,000 chairs, regardless of being able to find them used for $500, etc. I imagine the Broyhill sold for close to $200 originally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 00:45:28 »
Most of these are bought by people who make money sitting in that chair or a company with employees making them money while sitting in a chair and they need those chairs to entice those people (network engineers programmers etc). The general population isn't buying these new. I've been in tons of homes, to mid size businesses and only seen 1 or 2 Leaps and never a Miller in all the years I serviced computers.

By the way, if you sat in one for an hour you absolutely would NOT buy one, which is probably also why so few are sold to the general public.
People want a chair they can sit in, lean back and relax. These are work chairs, your comfort is secondary, their primary goal is to keep you from slouching and hunching over and sitting in ways you shouldn't do long term. It's kind of like military boot camp the first couple weeks, hard, rough and painful breaking those bad habits, but when you come out you are stronger better than when you went in.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 01:36:03 »
I'm in the same situation. I think i will actually buy a standing desk, since I will have to work from home until at least 1 November.
Another, cheaper, alternative that I have looked into is to sit on a pilates ball, I've heard that they are as good as an "ergo chair" but costs like 50 bucks..
Anyone tried the pilates ball?
There's the standard Pilates ball and you can get chairs with a frame that have an inflatable ball as the seat.

The idea of sitting on the ball is the instability works your core muscles.  If you see people use them they are probably leaning on the desk with their elbows without realising it.

The frame/ball combination provides more stability, defeating the purpose.

To be fair, I've tried using a ball for a chair for a few weeks, and the 'novelty' was helpful.  I've not sat in a ball/frame type chair.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline typo

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 12:56:58 »
I had mentioned that my company at the time paid for the bulk of it. Now it is in my home as I am long since retired. Being in upper management, they let me keep the "contents" of my office. If you were thinking I made some type of huge salary you are incorrect though.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 16:41:38 »
I'm in the same situation. I think i will actually buy a standing desk, since I will have to work from home until at least 1 November.
Another, cheaper, alternative that I have looked into is to sit on a pilates ball, I've heard that they are as good as an "ergo chair" but costs like 50 bucks..
There's the standard Pilates ball and you can get chairs with a frame that have an inflatable ball as the seat.

The idea of sitting on the ball is the instability works your core muscles.  If you see people use them they are probably leaning on the desk with their elbows without realising it.

To be fair, I've tried using a ball for a chair for a few weeks, and the 'novelty' was helpful.  I've not sat in a ball/frame type chair.

Ball is good in theory and you think you will have awesome posture, but it's really just a pain in the ass and super inconvenient after like 2 days you will hate your life and wish for a chair with a back.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 17:15:41 »
Ball is good in theory and you think you will have awesome posture, but it's really just a pain in the ass and super inconvenient after like 2 days you will hate your life and wish for a chair with a back.

Standing desk,  Designed by GOD.. Super gud' for posture and bodily equilibrium.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 17:21:36 »

Standing desk,  Designed by GOD.. Super gud' for posture and bodily equilibrium.

(Attachment Link)

this is how humans are meant to walk, the upright spine is a very poor design.

Offline typo

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 05:51:59 »
This is absolutely true. Humans, homo Erectus were never truly meant to walk on two limbs. they were meant to walk on all fours. that is why they were designated as "erctus". It is forced and not actually evolution. Although we would have never reached the milestones that we have on fours. It is at the expense of our well being and longevity however. This was told to me by the top orthopedic surgeon in the world. Therefore, the standing desk really does us no justice. the real goal would be to get on quads. However, we would then not reach the levels of productivity that is expected of us. although, if just for a few hours a day it would do wonders for our backs alone. In fact, negating the very purpose of these expensive chairs altogether!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 05:58:31 »
Therefore, the standing desk really does us no justice. the real goal would be to get on quads. However, we would then not reach the levels of productivity that is expected of us. although, if just for a few hours a day it would do wonders for our backs alone. In fact, negating the very purpose of these expensive chairs altogether!

Elbows on the floor, mouse and keyboard above head and monitor at an angle under your hips - why wouldn't it work?  I want a pic if anyone tries
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 07:11:01 »
LOL..... Ingenuity at it's best. That in fact, is what makes us human. You know, we are the only animal that test logic. Apes are pretty darn smart but I would really like to see one code in c#! Even though they have the all fours thing down.

Offline jamster

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 05:38:54 »
I have an Aeron at home, it happened to be free. If I didn't have one, I would not buy one at new prices, but I'd probably buy one used.

We once played http://www.aeronhockey.com/ for an entire evening. Basically slammed chairs really, really hard into each other. By the end of the night, one small plastic bit had fallen of the dozen or so chairs we'd been using. I was impressed. Whenever we've had Aerons fail at work (its uncommon, but it does happen) then we can get the spare parts and someone in to install them. Beats junking an entire chair.

I'm quite aware that most people are happy with much cheaper options, and I would be happy with many as well. But by now I know I'd be happy with a second-hand Arron, so it's a simple choice and I wouldn't have to second guess myself or worry about a total replacement five years down the road.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 14:33:21 »
I'd consider skipping gaming chairs and going for an office one instead, and better still, either a real orthopaedic product (compatible with your specific backbone problems or optimized for conserving a healthy one) or something from a real company that specializes in real armchairs rather than the average consumer product for 500–700 bucks. Might also want to initially try a used chair from one of such top brands scarcely even known outside the relatively narrow community of people looking specifically for them (e.g. Kinnarps). If you like a used one for like 300 bucks, which will serve you a shorter time than a new product, you can then buy yourself a brand new one in due time. Furthermore, I would avoid gimmicks, gimmicky functions, gimmicky shapes. If you are tall, avoid most things in the market, including chairs whose sellers specifically assure you that yeah, their product works for tall people (except it doesn't when you're taller than the typical max of 6'2'' those chairs can handle). Same goes if you're heavy. And again, if your spine has some specific conditions, it's a good idea to look for a chair designed specifically for them, no matter that it's likely gonna look like you stole it from a hospital. ;) … And it's also a good idea to make sure whatever orthopaedic chair you're after doesn't actually list your specific conditions as contraindications.

I know a bit about this stuff because I'm 6'5'' and with hyperkyphosis, hyperlordosis and hyperscoliosis, which generally precludes orthopaedic or ergonomic chairs and tends to mean I'm best off with those low, straight office stools lowest-ranking employees are issued by cheap employers. However, I'm tempted to buy used Kinnarps and see if I like it. Right now I'm sitting in a gamer chair with a lumbar pillow and a neck pillow, and I don't like the design. The pillows do help avoid pain, but I don't really feel fully comfortable, and I end up assuming strange positions that are best described as an advanced stage of reclining and wouldn't be realistically viable in an office setting with bosses, clients, coworkers and a bunch of other people out there waiting to feel offended or disrespected. Exactly when typing this I'm kind of pouring down from the chair, sitting almost on the edge (at least halfway through the seat) with the lumbar pillow supporting my middle back. The chair was supposed to be good for tall people, but there's tall and then there's tall. Four inches less would be okay, and 6'5'' is too large for those whatchacallthem… wrapping, enveloping chairs (car-style). I have a bit of a love-and-hate relationship with this chair.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 10:11:41 »

Haha yes you're probably right! I have a standing desk at work, problem is I've worked from home since March because of covid!

Thank you for the info!