Author Topic: Finding a new chair.. any ideas?  (Read 40034 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Finding a new chair.. any ideas?
« on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 09:38:35 »
In terms of being a desktop user, it hasn't really been fun lately. I have an upgrade for a computer, mouse and keyboard and i am soon to ascend to a higher quality of gaming.

However, my back hasn't really ascended yet. I am used to very low quality items , including my chair. Because of this, i have poor posture and tend to slouch a lot .

Can anybody reccomend a chair for 100 to 200 dollars that would last a long time, has some back support and isn't too stiff nor too soft?

Offline JP

Re: Finding a new chair.. any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 11:10:52 »
In terms of being a desktop user, it hasn't really been fun lately. I have an upgrade for a computer, mouse and keyboard and i am soon to ascend to a higher quality of gaming.

However, my back hasn't really ascended yet. I am used to very low quality items , including my chair. Because of this, i have poor posture and tend to slouch a lot .

Can anybody reccomend a chair for 100 to 200 dollars that would last a long time, has some back support and isn't too stiff nor too soft?

Spend more and get a used / like new Steelcase Leap V2. That will cost a bit over $300 on eBay which is where I bought mine. The jump in price will get you a buy it for life kind of chair.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 15:29:22 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 14:18:42 »

Spend more and get a used / like new Steelcase Leap V2. That will cost a bit over $300 on eBay which is where I bought mine. The get jump in price will get you a buy it for life kind of chair.

A bit too expensive, but i'll take that into consideration.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 15:34:37 »
Well whatever you do DON'T get a ****ty, drastically overpriced, and did I mention ****ty DX Racer chair. They are ****. Complete ****.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 17:27:20 »
Well whatever you do DON'T get a ****ty, drastically overpriced, and did I mention ****ty DX Racer chair. They are ****. Complete ****.

Ok got it

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 21:36:21 »
You can find Leap V2's on Ebay for just a bit over $200, sometimes less, and the bigger sellers/liquidators will often take offers. My seller was asking $200(?) plus $55 shipping but took my offer of $170.

It's a bit above what you want to spend, but this is an investment. It's not some cheap Chinese office or gaming chair that you'll replace again in a couple years. Better still, if you do have problem, you can actually get parts for it. Mine was used and even after the 8 months I've had it it still feels new.

The downside..
They are not as plush as many cheaper chairs, but at the same time the foam won't decompose after a year or two leaving you sitting on the pan. Expect a break in/adjustment period, it won't be the most comfy thing at this time if you're used to plush, but once that happens it will be fantastic.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Legonut

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:34:41 »
I really like my Ikea Markus, if one's nearby you can go give it a try. They're $200
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90289172/

Offline captainkai

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:47:12 »
Another option (in the same vein as the Leap) is to find a used Herman Miller Aeron or Herman Miller Mirra chair.  The Aeron in particular is considered to be the chair that sets the bar for ergonomic chairs, and you can find plenty of them used online since they've been around a while.  The Mirra is a slightly smaller option, but would be harder to find used online.  These might be stretching the budget but it's a worthy investment  :thumb:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 05:05:12 »
The Ikea may be nice, but there's nothing to indicate it has any ergonomic design or testing (same problem with "gaming" chairs). There's a reason the Leap And Millers cost what they do, they are designed for all day use, most others are not. Most ergonimic chairs list a max number of hours per day they should be used as well as a weight rating, I don't even see either on the Ikea site, which often means it's really only meant for short term use. I'm not trying to bash the Ikea chair or others just that there is a reason these others cost what they do. I used to think they were overpriced too, but give it 10 years then see how your back feels.

As for Leap vs Miller, generally used Millers run $100-$150 more than a Leap on Ebay. If you can afford it it may be worth it (I've never tried one), but I will say the Leap is nice. I've sat in quite a lot of "good" chairs and almost nothing came close. And again, give it a few years and see if you can get parts for the Ikea like you can for the Miller or Leap. Sure you can get a new piston, but how about a new armrest or base? How good is that base after a year or two? The Leap may look very similar to other chairs, but I'm shocked by the weight every time I lift my leap. It weighs quite a lot more.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Capsmiths

• Capsmiths
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 16:38:55 »
I bought a used herman miller off a craigslist office liquidation sale. I used to see them all the time and its 100% worth it.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:13:22 »
I bought a used herman miller off a craigslist office liquidation sale. I used to see them all the time and its 100% worth it.

I have one of the aeron's at work and its pretty good. Wish i could find one on craigslist for my home though, but seems like they rarely pop up around here

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:24:50 »
The Ikea may be nice, but there's nothing to indicate it has any ergonomic design or testing (same problem with "gaming" chairs). There's a reason the Leap And Millers cost what they do, they are designed for all day use, most others are not. Most ergonimic chairs list a max number of hours per day they should be used as well as a weight rating, I don't even see either on the Ikea site, which often means it's really only meant for short term use. I'm not trying to bash the Ikea chair or others just that there is a reason these others cost what they do. I used to think they were overpriced too, but give it 10 years then see how your back feels.

As for Leap vs Miller, generally used Millers run $100-$150 more than a Leap on Ebay. If you can afford it it may be worth it (I've never tried one), but I will say the Leap is nice. I've sat in quite a lot of "good" chairs and almost nothing came close. And again, give it a few years and see if you can get parts for the Ikea like you can for the Miller or Leap. Sure you can get a new piston, but how about a new armrest or base? How good is that base after a year or two? The Leap may look very similar to other chairs, but I'm shocked by the weight every time I lift my leap. It weighs quite a lot more.

Thanks for the advice!

I do have a chair however my ### hurts less than 30 minutes after playing Treasure Hunt Simulator B)

Offline The Equals D

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 11:30:24 »
I have a duramont chair chair at home and really like it. Definitely helped my back alot. I think massdrop makes a knock off of it for a bit cheaper.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:02:37 »
Ended up going with this

Thank you all for the suggestions

Offline CaptRiskyBiscuits

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 19:54:58 »
Definitely check craigslist and FB marketplace for used Herman Miller chairs They seem to pop up in bulk about once a month where I'm at. I haven't bought one yet but I need to.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 20:25:30 »
Herman miller aerons for sure. Find the ones with the adjustable hand rests and not those fixed one... From where I stay, refurbished ones cos more than 500 usd... So if u can get one under 200 on Craigslist or ebay it is a steal. The mesh can be fixed if it is torn with some aliexpress mesh

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 20:34:10 »
Ended up going with this

Show Image

now that you've had a few weeks, what do you think of it?

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:31:22 »
Ended up going with this

Show Image

now that you've had a few weeks, what do you think of it?

It's awesome! During the 6+ hours i sit in it not once do i feel pain. Its extremely easy to set up and use. Lumbar support pillows are godlike especially the head pillow.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 16:10:33 »
I went from a metal fold chair to something like that myself, I'll never regret making the move, it changed everything for me.

Heck, I slept better after getting one. It's such a game changer.

Still I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.  :)

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 13:27:06 »
So you need some kind of gaming recliner?

Already got one

Offline fliz

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 21:17:28 »
I like my Steelcase Leap.

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:09:50 »
Absolutely try to spend double your budget and get a used Leap V2 or something. It is the difference between might as well just keep your money and a real chair. Just make sure it is not broken. It will be obvious. There are many god used chairs but something like an Embody is much more money i think. Leap V@ even though with leather they were like $1,900 do not sell for much used for whatever reason. They are a good bargain. You will cherish this as you get older and your back does not fail. Oh, never mind. I just saw post above. I sure hope you listened to them. An actual "gaming" chair like best buy is absolute junk!

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:07:16 »
Regarding sore backs and posture remember a good chair helps, but exercise is also key. My brother and I both had problems in that department and now we've gotten a bit fitter we're both much happier in that regard.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:53:39 »
Pretty much ignored all the people replying and just got a "gamer chair"

lol gottem

Offline JP

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 16:09:51 »
Pretty much ignored all the people replying and just got a "gamer chair"

lol gottem

:))
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 17:49:37 »
I'm in the same situation. I think i will actually buy a standing desk, since I will have to work from home until at least 1 November.
Another, cheaper, alternative that I have looked into is to sit on a pilates ball, I've heard that they are as good as an "ergo chair" but costs like 50 bucks..
Anyone tried the pilates ball?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 18:13:57 »
With so many offices closing and people getting pink slipped, bet you could find killer deals on used office furniture.

Offline typo

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 05:13:36 »
Yeah it is like the IT bubble bust of the early 2000's. I cleaned up on so much IT equipment then.

Gamer chair at Best Buy is bad news. A clean $400 used Leap V2 there is no comparison. I guess they made a lot of leaps. A used Embody is about $750. Might as well buy a new one for 15 year warranty. It is no questions asked. They replace my fabric whenever I want. We have a bunch of cats.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 06:47:29 »
You don't need a bubble to burst or anything to find a deal on Leap, they're everywhere.

Just check Ebay/Craigslist or what ever your country uses.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 08:33:58 »
You don't need a bubble to burst or anything to find a deal on Leap, they're everywhere.

Don' want no chair-cooties..

Offline typo

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:18:31 »
HAHA TP. Catch something 20x Corona! I know. i said they must have made many Leaps. since in comparison a Used embody is much more. Even though a new leather leap is more new. A Leap V2 you absolutely buy used. With an Embody it makes more sense to buy new for the few hundred more. Since their warranty is world class. Even if you break it, even if you do it 10 times they cover it! Plus they will give you free labor if you change your mind and want upgrades or something. Non Covid times they set it up right where you want it no extra charge. I really like Herman miller. They discontinued the Evcelop desk. not sure why. i have the powered sit stand. It was not cheap. It really was not expensive either. The desk and chair are my "work station" with the display vesa arms and the comfort is outstanding to me. YMMV. a Leap V2 will do the trick just as well. I have a Eames lounge for my A/V-Home theater it is "my" chair. I would say it sucks at posture but it is pretty cozy if not for too long. I am just a HM fan boy. I used to be HON when I was clueless. HON has nothing on HM or Steelcase for that matter. HON is barely above the gaming chair IMO.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 21:54:22 »

Don' want no chair-cooties..

If you buy from Joe, who had one to spare, yes.
If you buy from a furniture reseller they have most likely given it a cleaning, every one I have bought had been. The last guy even had some that had been re-upholstered.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:16:49 »
Yes, good furniture dealers refurbish them as necessary. It often does not even increase the cost. A real good condition leather one runs about $400-$500 around here from dealers fully loaded. I just do not know why Embody or Aeron is so much more? Since the Leap is more brand new. The special leather option is 2 grand alone.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:38:15 »
Yes, good furniture dealers refurbish them as necessary. It often does not even increase the cost. A real good condition leather one runs about $400-$500 around here from dealers fully loaded. I just do not know why Embody or Aeron is so much more? Since the Leap is more brand new. The special leather option is 2 grand alone.

The local furniture guy said they see and get less of of them. I suspect Leap offers better volume pricing than Miller, if they offer it at all.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 09:46:26 »
That is obviously true. They always have about 50 Leaps but only 1-5 HM. An even better deal is often a Freedom. These also run $500 refurbished. The thing is, brand new it could have been a 4 grand chair! Usually more like half that, but still. It is for smaller people though. Like up to 160 pounds and 5' 6".

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 10:59:15 »
If you buy from Joe, who had one to spare, yes.
If you buy from a furniture reseller they have most likely given it a cleaning, every one I have bought had been. The last guy even had some that had been re-upholstered.

if it were something else, like a dresser, I'd say ok,  Buhhhh when it comes to Intensive-Butt-Contakt items.  It's iffy.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 13:43:16 »
And here I am, happy with whatever chair that needs a little TLC that I literally find for free on the side of the road, trying to make sense of this thread promoting the purchase of chairs that cost as much used as I would very seriously consider spending on a used car. It seems to me that good posture should be your own responsibility, not that of some fancy chair. At home I have some cheap mesh chair with literally not back support at all above right below my shoulders, partly since that's all there's room for where it is. My posture is still quite good, because If I start hunching, slumping, etc, I notice and adjust my behavior.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 13:55:21 »
And here I am, happy with whatever chair that needs a little TLC that I literally find for free on the side of the road, trying to make sense of this thread promoting the purchase of chairs that cost as much used as I would very seriously consider spending on a used car. It seems to me that good posture should be your own responsibility, not that of some fancy chair. At home I have some cheap mesh chair with literally not back support at all above right below my shoulders, partly since that's all there's room for where it is. My posture is still quite good, because If I start hunching, slumping, etc, I notice and adjust my behavior.

A well made chair lasts a very very long time, and also helps you to maintain good posture without having to monitor yourself all the time. You can maintain the best posture on earth, but if you're sitting on a cement block or something, your ass is still going to hurt. A chair purchase is arguably more important than any of the pricey keyboard purchases anyone makes in this hobby, and a lot of the time cheaper.

Not to mention lots of these chairs have warranties that extend well past the time of you purchasing them used, that are still actionable even by you as a second owner.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:02:28 »
I keep reading this thread while sat on an old generic faux leather office chair with no butt padding left.  A nice chair would make a lot of sense - I wonder if the Leap is as readily available this side of the pond.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:06:38 »
I keep reading this thread while sat on an old generic faux leather office chair with no butt padding left.  A nice chair would make a lot of sense - I wonder if the Leap is as readily available this side of the pond.

Check amazon for other steelcase models as well. I lucked out and got a brand new Steelcase Amia for $400 shipped, which is a steal honestly(typically $700-$900). It feels every bit as comfortable as a leap to me personally. Only downside was a color I wasn't fond of at first, but I've warmed up to it honestly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:27:09 »
Check amazon for other steelcase models as well.

No Steelcase on Amazon UK, page 1 is random chairs (not cheap but not names mentioned in this thread) and page 2 has SteelSeries gamer headsets as they are clearly related

Some chairs on ebay but no Leaps.  More research required...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:07:42 »

A well made chair lasts a very very long time, and also helps you to maintain good posture without having to monitor yourself all the time. You can maintain the best posture on earth, but if you're sitting on a cement block or something, your ass is still going to hurt. A chair purchase is arguably more important than any of the pricey keyboard purchases anyone makes in this hobby, and a lot of the time cheaper.

Not to mention lots of these chairs have warranties that extend well past the time of you purchasing them used, that are still actionable even by you as a second owner.

That cheap mesh chair I use at home I got brand new for $70 at Ace Hardware ... to accompany my very first desktop computer, so that was probably around ... 2005? The entirety of its frame is made out of steel, down to the base. Only the wheels are plastic. I imagine it will easily last me another 15+ years, and well beyond, even if the fabric on the armrests is beginning to come undone.

The chair I'm currently seated in is a Broyhill I picked up at Goodwill for $15. The bolts holding the arms to the backrest and seat were loose, so I had to remove the cloth on the bottom of the chair to permanently resolve that problem with some loctite. The base was originally plastic, and somebody, without my knowledge, obviously abused the thing at work while I was not present. I showed up one day and the base was broken where the stem of a wheel entered it. I figured, why not permanently fix that problem as well, so I bought a $20 solid aluminum base on Amazon. Soon after the wheel event, the gas cylinder also failed, probably as a result of the same prior abuse. This again was seen by me as an opportunity. I am relatively tall, most of that height being really long legs, where I literally cannot rest my legs flat on most adjustable chairs even with the height adjusted as high as it will go. I figured, why not resolve that problem as well? I found a taller cylinder than average one for something like $15-20 with very good reviews, and carefully applied some lithium grease when I replaced it so that it spins with almost no friction at all. I had also already had awesome roller blade wheels ($30 investment) installed. In short, I basically have a fully customized/reinforced/personalized chair with a still-supple, comfortable seat and supportive back with the total investment cost of a cool $85, give or take $5-10.

I have seen this same chair on the side of the road before, although I was at work, driving between locations, so I failed to pick it up.

Another chair that's also at this very location at the moment is one of those nice mesh adjustable chairs that has something like 4 or 5 different levers for adjustment, and adjustable armrests. I found it on the side of the road ... for free, because there was a chunk missing from the original rubber armrest on one side. A $20 purchase from Amazon later ... good as new. I also put roller blade wheels on that chair, and it is also fantastically comfortable.

Both of these chairs have lasted me roughly 5+ years, thus far, and wild highschoolers are usually horsing around in the mesh one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:13:15 by Maledicted »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:29:29 »

That cheap mesh chair I use at home I got brand new for $70 at Ace Hardware ... to accompany my very first desktop computer, so that was probably around ... 2005? The entirety of its frame is made out of steel, down to the base. Only the wheels are plastic. I imagine it will easily last me another 15+ years, and well beyond, even if the fabric on the armrests is beginning to come undone.

The chair I'm currently seated in is a Broyhill I picked up at Goodwill for $15. The bolts holding the arms to the backrest and seat were loose, so I had to remove the cloth on the bottom of the chair to permanently resolve that problem with some loctite. The base was originally plastic, and somebody, without my knowledge, obviously abused the thing at work while I was not present. I showed up one day and the base was broken where the stem of a wheel entered it. I figured, why not permanently fix that problem as well, so I bought a $20 solid aluminum base on Amazon. Soon after the wheel event, the gas cylinder also failed, probably as a result of the same prior abuse. This again was seen by me as an opportunity. I am relatively tall, most of that height being really long legs, where I literally cannot rest my legs flat on most adjustable chairs even with the height adjusted as high as it will go. I figured, why not resolve that problem as well? I found a taller cylinder than average one for something like $15-20 with very good reviews, and carefully applied some lithium grease when I replaced it so that it spins with almost no friction at all. I had also already had awesome roller blade wheels ($30 investment) installed. In short, I basically have a fully customized/reinforced/personalized chair with a still-supple, comfortable seat and supportive back with the total investment cost of a cool $85, give or take $5-10.

I have seen this same chair on the side of the road before, although I was at work, driving between locations, so I failed to pick it up.

Another chair that's also at this very location at the moment is one of those nice mesh adjustable chairs that has something like 4 or 5 different levers for adjustment, and adjustable armrests. I found it on the side of the road ... for free, because there was a chunk missing from the original rubber armrest on one side. A $20 purchase from Amazon later ... good as new. I also put roller blade wheels on that chair, and it is also fantastically comfortable.

Both of these chairs have lasted me roughly 5+ years, thus far, and wild highschoolers are usually horsing around in the mesh one.

Arguing the merits of a well made/designed chair with someone who would likely be very happy to rebuild a serta office chair makes no sense. If you're happy with what you have now, I can't say that they aren't good chairs for what you use them for.

There are tons of chairs like this that, that will likely last for a really long time if properly maintained, which you seem to have done. But there is a noticeable difference in comfort in these chairs that are designed specifically for long sitting sessions, and they are also made of much nicer materials that usually don't require nearly as much maintenance, like you've described having to do in your post.

I'm sure that there are many many rubber dome keyboards that will last a nuclear war, and will likely outlast your large collection of IBM boards, but does it make them just as good?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:43:58 »

Arguing the merits of a well made/designed chair with someone who would likely be very happy to rebuild a serta office chair makes no sense. If you're happy with what you have now, I can't say that they aren't good chairs for what you use them for.

There are tons of chairs like this that, that will likely last for a really long time if properly maintained, which you seem to have done. But there is a noticeable difference in comfort in these chairs that are designed specifically for long sitting sessions, and they are also made of much nicer materials that usually don't require nearly as much maintenance, like you've described having to do in your post.

I'm sure that there are many many rubber dome keyboards that will last a nuclear war, and will likely outlast your large collection of IBM boards, but does it make them just as good?

I have done 0 maintenance to my $70 mesh chair. I could literally sleep in this Broyhill, so I'm not sure what benefit a $2,000 chair is going to afford me in any category. Having had to rebuild the Broyhill is basically an aberration, in my opinion. It takes some serious weight to damage a chair's gas cylinder, which I also upped the rating on, so good luck breaking that again. Somebody was doing something extremely abusive. I haven't touched the chair at all since those repairs, 4+ years ago. The 100% free side-of-the-road find would be sleepable as well, if it had a headrest. That's also made almost entirely out of steel and I don't foresee it having any problems in the near future either.

I think of this just like keyboards. At what point do we reach a point of diminishing returns? How much better, in actual use and function, can a chair that retails for as much as I paid for a used car 11 years ago ... and still own, be than a relatively steady and comfortable chair that costs practically nothing in comparison?

I would love to see a rubber dome outlast a Model F. I could see it happening with the M. Domes also don't feel nearly as good. I'm pretty sure a relatively comfortable chair is pretty close to other relatively comfortable chairs, unless literally every chair I have ever sat in in my life just sucks or something.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:57:17 by Maledicted »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 16:10:34 »

I have done 0 maintenance to my $70 mesh chair. I could literally sleep in this Broyhill, so I'm not sure what benefit a $2,000 chair is going to afford me in any category. Having had to rebuild the Broyhill is basically an aberration, in my opinion. It takes some serious weight to damage a chair's gas cylinder, which I also upped the rating on, so good luck breaking that again. Somebody was doing something extremely abusive. I haven't touched the chair at all since those repairs, 4+ years ago. The 100% free side-of-the-road find would be sleepable as well, if it had a headrest. That's also made almost entirely out of steel and I don't foresee it having any problems in the near future either.

I think of this just like keyboards. At what point do we reach a point of diminishing returns? How much better, in actual use and function, can a chair that retails for as much as I paid for a used car 11 years ago ... and still own, be than a relatively steady and comfortable chair that costs practically nothing in comparison?

This entire thread has been suggestions to find affordable outlets to buy these chairs, not suggesting people pay 2 grand for a brand new chair man.

"Sleepable" is not in any way a good judge on long term sitting comfort or ergonomics, in the same way that a plush wrist rest while comfortable, isn't good for long term typing comfort or wrist health.

It doesn't take "extreme abuse" to ruin a gas cylinder, not by a long shot. Expecially not the **** cylinders that come stock in most of the chairs you're talking about. The amazon one you got, I can agree on most likely, because those tend to be pretty good. I had to get an extended one myself for an older chair, being 6'3" I had the same issues you laid out with resting my legs properly.

I've had dozens of chairs over the years, and nothing has even touched Steelcase for me in comfort and build quality. Could be some diminishing returns here, but honestly you can get the things for cheaper than a lot of much much worse chairs very easily. $200 - $400 might sound like a lot to someone who literally grabs chairs from the curb, but it's well worth it to a lot of people.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 16:28:14 »
This entire thread has been suggestions to find affordable outlets to buy these chairs, not suggesting people pay 2 grand for a brand new chair man.

Yeah, sure. That wasn't really the point I was making though. Just how ridiculous the idea of a $2,000 office chair is to me. What could possibly justify that price? It makes sense for one of those crazy, feature-rich, electronic massage chairs or something, not an office chair. Even $500 is baffling to me when you can get a chair made entirely of steel for a fraction of that.

"Sleepable" is not in any way a good judge on long term sitting comfort or ergonomics, in the same way that a plush wrist rest while comfortable, isn't good for long term typing comfort or wrist health.

Maybe I'm just ergonomically impaired. I sleep just fine on random sofas, mine's actually particularly comfortable in spite of the fact that it has a mattress frame directly beneath the cushions. I type at random/weird angles without issue, etc.

What is it about a chair that, outside of making sure the curvature of your spine is correct, and that the seat and back are comfortable, is going to make it significantly better than any other chair?

It doesn't take "extreme abuse" to ruin a gas cylinder, not by a long shot. Expecially not the **** cylinders that come stock in most of the chairs you're talking about. The amazon one you got, I can agree on most likely, because those tend to be pretty good. I had to get an extended one myself for an older chair, being 6'3" I had the same issues you laid out with resting my legs properly.

I don't know, the only one I have ever had fail on me otherwise was in some garbage $20 plastic chair from Walmart or something. The kind that don't even have armrests and the flat, barely padded back just sort of flops back and forth on. That still took a number of years to happen.

One of the roller blade wheels I had initially put on it was damaged to the point that the bearings were falling out as well, where it pivots on the stem. So we're talking a bent caster stem, a broken base that was, while plastic, relatively thick, and a failed cylinder soon after. I would say that's some major abuse. Maybe you would not.

I've had dozens of chairs over the years, and nothing has even touched Steelcase for me in comfort and build quality. Could be some diminishing returns here, but honestly you can get the things for cheaper than a lot of much much worse chairs very easily. $200 - $400 might sound like a lot to someone who literally grabs chairs from the curb, but it's well worth it to a lot of people.

Hey, your money is your money. I think everybody in this community respects that. I'm not saying these fancy chairs aren't the Rolls-Royce of chairs. I just don't get it. Maybe I would if I ever sat in one, but I'm doubting it.

Offline typo

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 02:56:27 »
Rolls Royce is not a like comparison here. rolls Royce is luxury. Period. In fact it is a junk automobile. These ergonomic chairs are for your health. You still need a sit stand table. You cannot sit 14+ hours coding. If you are liking finding chairs on the road i can't explain it to you either. The Embody specifically, you must see it and understand it's function. It is a natural extension of your body. If you plan to get as old as i am pain free you seriously want this. You may think you are saving a buck now and crippled when you are 50. I am much past 50 BTW. If buying new I personally only recommend the Embody but YMMV. There are plenty of other good high end chairs. The Embody does not even offer leather. Loaded delivered, setup with tax it is about $1,700. Then I have with it the Envelop powered sit/stand which they no longer make. Which is beyond me as to why. That ran about $4,500. I am not even rich but as a coder at the time made this investment in my health. Plus at the time my company paid for most of it anyways. I got to keep the $46,000 display from where I worked too. I worked there 26 years so they valued me I guess. Before desktop computers. Programmed Cobol and C/PM and stuff. Anyways later when I got the chair when these things even came out, the comfort was readily evident. Here is a challenge to you "mal. Try a high end chair. than see what you think about your Franken chair. I think this is the first time we disagree. however it is just because you are uninformed I think. you really need to sit in one for an hour. Especially the Embody. The Leap V2 is so-so. It just so happens to be the best deal used though. I do as I mentioned have an Eames lounge. Used. That is akin to a Rolls Royce. Really useless. I got such a good deal I could not pass it up. Just everyone make sure you never buy from Madison seating! It is a scam company. You will get screwed! anyways, i see these as an investment in your health. You have to look at the long term. One day you will hopefully be my age and you do not want to be in one kind of chair. Namely, a wheelchair! This is no joking matter either. At a young age you may throw caution to the wind but I urge you to think to the long term. Especially if you sit in a task chair for long periods. In that case you must stand as well though.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 04:26:12 »
Hey, your money is your money. I think everybody in this community respects that. I'm not saying these fancy chairs aren't the Rolls-Royce of chairs. I just don't get it. Maybe I would if I ever sat in one, but I'm doubting it.

There is a point of diminishing returns on both ends on the curve.
I have to agree with Typo a bit on this, there is a difference between a $1000 chair and a $200 office or "gaming" chair, particularly if you spend a lot of time in it.

I get where you're coming from, I doubted it as well, I still don't think you should pay $1000 for a chair or even replace a good working chair, if you're happy with yours great(!), but after owning one, yeah, there's a difference. You can't easily see it, you can't even always feel it (especially when new to you), but the more time you spend in it the more you appreciate it and can tell a difference. The materials, construction and more importantly the ergonomics is on a different level. First time I (unknowingly) sat in one I actually thought it was uncomfortable and defective because of the arm rests and when I got mine I thought it was horrible, it wasn't that comfortable. Had I know that first one was a Leap I actually don't know if I would have bought one, I was that unimpressed, but after spending time with it I won't give it up.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 13:41:16 »
Leslie you are 100% correct. When I went from a $300 HON to the Embody it seemed uncomfortable the first few weeks. I called HM Store. They said do us a huge favor, give it 3 weeks you won't be sorry. I did and I will never look back. No, you do not need the special leather option on the Leap. The Embody only offers fabric. If used budget even, it must be the Leap. Seeing as this should last 20+ years it is an investment of sorts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 18:59:17 »
Tp4 uses Standing Desk..  Tp4 has defeated the Chair.