Author Topic: See how the other half lives challenge!  (Read 2149 times)

Offline funkmon

See how the other half lives challenge!
« on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 10:48:02 »
Okay guys, I think it's cool that some people like some things, like linear switches, and others pretend they like things like Ortholinear layouts, and rational people like full size clickies.

So, what I'd like you guys to do is the following:

Pick a keyboard thing you have always hated, and try it for a week!

So what do I hate in keyboards? Some of you may know that I think that external keypads are dumb, and 60-75%s are dumb, and tactile switches are dumb.

Well what do we have here?

That's right, a ****ing 65% and a ****ing external numpad.

What's in these things?

Oh god no.

It's Cherry Browns on the keypad and Matias tactile some **** that doesn't have clicks on the keyboard. Oh no.

By the way, I want to just complain about how thin Matias's keycaps are right here. I don't actually care that much, but when you pay a hundred and fifty dollars for a keyboard you expect decent keycaps, or at least ones better than this $15 keypad you guys found for me on eBay. In fact, both these keyboards are Great Finds specials!

Okay, this is how they're set up right now. It's not that bad, but I actually normally have a keyboard either straddling my monitor stand or indeed laying on top of it, depending on how long the feet are. The Matias has long enough feet to straddle it, but then I have a problem.

The numpad won't properly fit in there. I kind of have it propped up on the right leg, but it's slightly unstable, and it's made me move the Matias farther left than I wanted it, but hey, all's fair in the world of deskspace, or some ****, right?

THERE'S NOT EVEN A PLACE FOR MY PENS?! What heathenry is this?! Yuck!

Well, I wrote this post on the new setup, and I've even used the numpad to type some numbers I think, and obviously to type enter, since it's easily my most used key. I love numpad enter. Never leave me. What I'm worried about is a small chore I need to do later, when I update the Model M subreddit user gallery with new dates and part numbers. That's what really mkaes or breaks a keyboard in my life.

I don't do anything important.

Anyway, I challenge YOU, who is reading this, to whip out your Model M if you like silent 40%s, or bring that Corsair with MX Reds out of retirement if you're an Alps guy, and let's give the old Micro Switch Hall Effects a go and take a break from your Beam Spring daily driver!

Post in here what you're doing that you have always hated, and how it feels.

Then, over time, tell us how the progress is going! Maybe we can all learn to love each other and get along! :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2020, 10:52:00 by funkmon »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: See how the other half lives challenge!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:14:15 »
I would have to go back to the HHKB layout (never could stop myself hitting where the top half of ISO enter should be for enter even though I used the same spot for backspace no problem!) and I hated the pathetic excuses for springs in MX reds, though I like heavy linears.  I would also need to use a 60% board with the standard (too small) 1u FN key next to shift to make arrows as unusable as possible.

Actually I have some 30g springs from Gateron clears that would be even worse.  Wonder what stems I've got in the spares box...

I loved Matias quiet clicks and any numberpad is better than none if you need one so your setup doesn't look so bad, for me.  But I guess that's the point.

Edit:  Just noticed how out of date my signature is - my daily driver isn't even in it and my Ducky's been rocking mostly MX Clears for ... at least 4 years.  I'll update it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:53:19 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 15:53:11 »
I mean, you're right. I could go with a 40% ortholinear and truly hate it. But let's not go whole hog. Just stuff you think is technically usable, but something you're ideologically against. Haha

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 17:36:49 »
 I cannot go back to General Rubber dome,   it hurts my fingers and I never want to type on it anymore. 

Thank you for reading

~ Tree leaf~
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 18:19:43 »
Tp4 Gambling PC uses a Dell generic board with the phat spacebar

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 21:17:32 »
Tell me more about this Gambling PC
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline funkmon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 22:16:16 »
Yeah, you can't just drop the phrase gambling PC as if it's something we're used to or understand. What the heck is a gambling PC?

"Hey Steve I bet you my PC that Kershaw gets a win tomorrow."

"You're on! I still have your gambling microwave from last year!"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 09:50:03 »
Tp4 Gambling PC uses a Dell generic board with the phat spacebar

Makes sense - whether it gets smashed in rage at a loss or drowned in tears of joy when you win you don't want it to happen to a nice board :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod