Author Topic: [GB] CF-LX: Carbon Fiber 60% Case [DONE]  (Read 266236 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: [GB] CF-LX: Carbon Fiber 60% Case // Universal and Happy layout
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:11:19 »

Show Image

Light Render

Show Image

Dark Render

Good job bro
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 09:40:49 »
Do you have an ETA for the GB? I don't remember if it has been asked already.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:36:22 »
Joined in for a HHKB layout case and a mid piece. I wish it is not too opaque. :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:41:23 »
We're looking at about a month and a half/2 months for completion

Joined in for a HHKB layout case and a mid piece. I wish it is not too opaque. :)
It's gonna mostly opaque
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:51:15 »
Finally found my "box o random CF plates". Closest thing I could find to 1.5mm 3k plain weave was 1.05mm 0-90 uni. The different weave shouldn't make any difference in this case. The fact that it's 33% thinner does make it less rigid.

I did a laboratory grade tensile strength test using a quality assurance jig used by aerospace companies.

With two full dr pepper cans on top and the ~9" plate suspended at the very ends, there is a less than 1mm bend in the middle.

Obviously this is not scientific but I do this to show some of the folks who are not so familiar with CF how strong a material it is.

Although this is a thin and simple case it should be plenty rugged for all of us. :thumb:
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:57:09 »

It's gonna mostly opaque

Thanks for the ETA.

Is it big blue saw that does the mid piece as well? Did we get a big discount compared to order it aside as an individual?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 14:16:10 »

It's gonna mostly opaque

Thanks for the ETA.

Is it big blue saw that does the mid piece as well? Did we get a big discount compared to order it aside as an individual?
Yep, all of this is being done through big blue saw. And yeah, the price difference for both the case and mid for a 1-off compared to a group like this is pretty substantial

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:12:39 »
Ok so the case changed a bit over the weekend, it now supports Korean boards with flipped enter stabilizers and the weird 6u infinity bottom row.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:08:31 »
Ok so the case changed a bit over the weekend, it now supports Korean boards with flipped enter stabilizers and the weird 6u infinity bottom row.

Awesome. So it still supports the 1x 1.5x 7x 1.5 x 1x too right? When you say flipped enter stabilizers these are the holes for cherry stabs?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:09:41 »

Awesome. So it still supports the 1x 1.5x 7x 1.5 x 1x too right? When you say flipped enter stabilizers these are the holes for cherry stabs?
Yes to both.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:38:31 »

It's gonna mostly opaque

Thanks for the ETA.

Yep, all of this is being done through big blue saw. And yeah, the price difference for both the case and mid for a 1-off compared to a group like this is pretty substantial
Hum OK I was wondering because an opaque mid piece is less appealing to me than a milky one. So I was wondering how much it would cost me if I shall contact them by myself to ask for a milky mid piece suiting this case. If you happen to know that price, do you mind PM it to me? Otherwise I'll just try to contact them.

Thanks Hwood and Joey for your work. ;)

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 17:17:13 »
Finally found my "box o random CF plates". Closest thing I could find to 1.5mm 3k plain weave was 1.05mm 0-90 uni. The different weave shouldn't make any difference in this case. The fact that it's 33% thinner does make it less rigid.

I did a laboratory grade tensile strength test using a quality assurance jig used by aerospace companies.

Show Image

Show Image

With two full dr pepper cans on top and the ~9" plate suspended at the very ends, there is a less than 1mm bend in the middle.

Obviously this is not scientific but I do this to show some of the folks who are not so familiar with CF how strong a material it is.

Although this is a thin and simple case it should be plenty rugged for all of us. :thumb:

If you don't post this to reddit.com/r/amateurengineering I will

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:26:23 »

It's gonna mostly opaque

Thanks for the ETA.

Hum OK I was wondering because an opaque mid piece is less appealing to me than a milky one. So I was wondering how much it would cost me if I shall contact them by myself to ask for a milky mid piece suiting this case. If you happen to know that price, do you mind PM it to me? Otherwise I'll just try to contact them.

Thanks Hwood and Joey for your work. ;)
PM'd

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 18:55:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

If you don't post this to reddit.com/r/amateurengineering I will

Lol, no. I'm not a huge fan of reddit.
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:26:47 »
Is there a possibility to put some feet under the case if we want a non flat board? Like holes for screws or something alike?

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:30:42 »
Is there a possibility to put some feet under the case if we want a non flat board? Like holes for screws or something alike?

Not going to speak for the OP, but generally putting holes into CF should be avoided.  Would definitely recommend stick-on feet.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:56:33 »
I like to Velcro on Sorbithane hemispheres for feet. That way I can remove them for portability. And they come in a ton of sizes.
I'm back.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:53:35 »

Not going to speak for the OP, but generally putting holes into CF should be avoided.  Would definitely recommend stick-on feet.
Yeah, you don't want to mess w/ the dust from that stuff. Rubber bump-ons will be the way to go

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:27:21 »
Alright good to know thanks. Is it possible to find feet like the one on the RS84 with velcro or stick-on system?
Such as these:

Taken from Ivan's post.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:35:51 »
Alright good to know thanks. Is it possible to find feet like the one on the RS84 with velcro or stick-on system?
Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

You could actually use those since they are hollow and don't have a screw sticking out. Just got to figure out a solution to """glue """ them at the bottom of the case.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:36:17 »

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

I've looked high and low for feet like these and the only place I've found is GONs.
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:17:45 »
Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

You could actually use those since they are hollow and don't have a screw sticking out. Just got to figure out a solution to """glue """ them at the bottom of the case.
A solution could be to use double face Velcro. You apply one hand on the feet and the other one on the bottom case. They usually come with a glued face.

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

I've looked high and low for feet like these and the only place I've found is GONs.
I wonder if there would be delay for such little items.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 07:38:07 »

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

A solution could be to use double face Velcro. You apply one hand on the feet and the other one on the bottom case. They usually come with a glued face.

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

Delay? Probably. But the shipping fees will kill you outright.
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 08:05:59 »

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

I've never ordered at Gon's so I don't know what to expect from it. Isn't it possible find some on Taobao or something alike? The feet of the RS84 come from China IIRC not from Korea. Perhaps we could ask to Qtan if he has some to sell.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 08:26:32 »

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

I've never ordered at Gon's so I don't know what to expect from it. Isn't it possible find some on Taobao or something alike? The feet of the RS84 come from China IIRC not from Korea. Perhaps we could ask to Qtan if he has some to sell.

I can look on TB later. GONs shipping is usually $25.

I've also looked at conical feel for audio equipment but they are all too big or very expensive.
I'm back.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 08:29:15 »

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

I've also looked at conical feel for audio equipment but they are all too big or very expensive.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.1998246701.1.FxbiMp&scm=1007.10152.4578.i43838718936&id=43228379649&pvid=d8bd9cf6-508f-4d36-b930-2634ea80ab63

I think we should not derivate the thread anymore.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:01:58 »

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

Such as these:
Show Image

Taken from Ivan's post.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.1998246701.1.FxbiMp&scm=1007.10152.4578.i43838718936&id=43228379649&pvid=d8bd9cf6-508f-4d36-b930-2634ea80ab63

I think we should not derivate the thread anymore.

Yeah you are right. Thank you for the link and sorry Hwood for the hijacking of your thread.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:22:33 »
NP lol, it's all relevant to the buy anyway

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 16:48:39 »
TFW you're an idiot and put the new end date in the middle of exams ^-^. One extra day to order!

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 20:37:37 »
Just making sure but the standard case option includes both the upper and lower plates right?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 21:39:20 »
Just making sure but the standard case option includes both the upper and lower plates right?
Yep, both the standard and happy cases include everything you need

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 10:32:44 »
Last day to get your orders in!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 16:34:55 »
Last day to get your orders in!

I'm excited to build it already! :D

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 17:24:51 »
Sorry Hwood. I decided I already have my endgame 60%  :rolleyes: <3 <3 <3

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 17:29:08 »
Someone tell me why I need this.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 17:53:23 »
because you just do

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 20:53:00 »
because you just do

Suppose that's true.

In for a regular case with acrylic midpiece.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 22:17:07 »
Sorry guys, but my internet has really been all over the place recently. I'll try to get invoices out, but it'll be sporadic as I'm at the mercy of my internet right now

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 13:28:38 »
Invoices going out now. If your invoice says it's due on the 3rd, it's because I'm an idiot who sometimes forgets to change the date. Invoices are due the 10th. I'm leaving orders open during this time, but no matter when you order invoices are due the same day. Unpaid orders without reason will be canceled

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 13:38:26 »
Invoice paid.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 15:59:52 »
Did all the invoice go out? I'm asking because your last post made it sound like it is the case however I didn't get mine.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:02:20 »
Did all the invoice go out? I'm asking because your last post made it sound like it is the case however I didn't get mine.
I believe he is slowly working through them.  He has said that he has been having ISP issues lately, so it is most likely taking longer than normal.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:07:05 »
I believe he is slowly working through them.  He has said that he has been having ISP issues lately, so it is most likely taking longer than normal.

yeah after reading his post again, I figured I misinterpreted it the first I read. My bad, I was just afraid I was forgotten. :)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:10:59 »

yeah after reading his post again, I figured I misinterpreted it the first I read. My bad, I was just afraid I was forgotten. :)
Nobody can forget Jake  :D

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 16:41:45 »

I'm still waiting on mine too. I'd assume he's going through them in order, so I'll probably be one of the last to get my invoice.

Offline vindaon

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 17:10:07 »
So what did the final numbers end up looking like?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 17:22:30 »

I'm still waiting on mine too. I'd assume he's going through them in order, so I'll probably be one of the last to get my invoice.
Sorry, actually just went through the CONUS orders first, now I'll go through the international orders cause I have to get estimates for all of em

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 17:27:16 »

Sorry, actually just went through the CONUS orders first, now I'll go through the international orders cause I have to get estimates for all of em

Not a problem, thanks for the clarification!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 17:38:59 »
So what did the final numbers end up looking like?
32 orders total, basically everyone bought a mid piece too :p

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 17:50:40 »
except for me XD