Author Topic: Alps Keysets  (Read 5805 times)

Offline iwantatrophy

Alps Keysets
« on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 05:07:11 »
Are there any other Alps keysets in market aside of TaiHao and Matias ones?

Offline joey

Re: Alps Keysets
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 05:13:10 »
Signature Plastics

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 05:28:32 »
Signature Plastics

Umm doesn't PMK sell all Cherry ones? I have seen some individual pieces on PMK, but not any full keysets. Can you link some?

Offline joey

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 05:29:27 »
Signature Plastics

Umm doesn't PMK sell all Cherry ones? I have seen some individual pieces on PMK, but not any full keysets.
They can make Alps, not sure if they stock them though.

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:14:03 »
Signature Plastics sells blanks in limited colors and not in every size needed to fill out a standard keyboard.

There are currently no full keysets in Alps format from them.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:19:19 »
depends. they're everywere in old computers such as the apple IIc, apple iigs, dell bigfoot and a lot of others including new ones from filco and ducky but they dont usually come in full sets like cherry caps, unless you want to do some hunting or print them yourself. They are very hard to find tho.
hi.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 17:31:26 »
There are currently no full keysets in Alps format from them.

Yeah, Signature Plastics doesn't sell them as full kits. In fact, they used to sell limited quantities of MX sets before this year, but looks like they're trying to act as a storefront for them.
The only Alps sets (two, I think) from them were available through GBs only.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 17:33:33 »
Alpine Winter and...?

Offline E3E

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 17:55:34 »
The Minivan road kit for 40% boards.

No other real custom Alps sets. You're better off going with OG Alps sets as there is a lovely selection out there if you're willing to get a bit creative in putting them together.

Offline ndlu2

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 18:16:02 »

No other real custom Alps sets. You're better off going with OG Alps sets as there is a lovely selection out there if you're willing to get a bit creative in putting them together.

That keycap mix is amazing, which boards did you get the keys from?  :eek:

Offline E3E

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 18:31:41 »

The main hi profile set is from the ICL One Per Desk phone board. Needed two sets for this, but I was able to get them through a trade.

Then we've got a mixture of NeXT bottom row key caps and Tai Hao WoB to fill out the modifiers!

That's what it took for these.

I'm trying to sculpt some mods for the C. Itoh Hi Pro PBT dyesub spherical Alps set to allow it to be used on modern ANSI layouts. That is hands down my favorite Alps keyset that I own.

Here's a sample of them on my Lightpad. They're wonderfully sculpted and the feeling of PBT is just great.

One of my favorite keysets is also the Cherry profile doubleshot ABS Alps keyset that was made by Tai Hao long ago:

I just wish it was easier to find some of these sets.

You typically see people using SGI or AT101 PBT sets with their customs (or AEK if they're using that layout)  and going no further. Those are like, the only accessible high quality sets.

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 18:36:25 »

I like that keycap mix too because it isn't Yet Another Soul-Withering Two-tone-gray IBM-clone keycap set. That "SA Retro" colorway has such rich character!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 19:19:15 »
Alpine Winter and...?

Alpine Winter is the only full set that I know of.  The other "set" is the Infinity Modifier GB that I ran a couple years ago.  At most though, it is mods for a 60% layout though since at the time, Alps caps from SP were super expensive especially at the low MOQ levels where Alps stuff tends to sit. 

My GB:
155452-0
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline zslane

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 19:30:40 »
Love the blue!

Offline E3E

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:14:14 »
Alpine Winter and...?

Alpine Winter is the only full set that I know of.  The other "set" is the Infinity Modifier GB that I ran a couple years ago.  At most though, it is mods for a 60% layout though since at the time, Alps caps from SP were super expensive especially at the low MOQ levels where Alps stuff tends to sit. 

My GB:
(Attachment Link)

A very well-loved set, my man. My eagle would not be complete without them!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 20:31:01 »
Alpine Winter and...?

My GB:
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Oh man do I love that build. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 04:32:42 »

One of my favorite keysets is also the Cherry profile doubleshot ABS Alps keyset that was made by Tai Hao long ago:

Show Image

Oh man this is great. They look exactly like a Cherry keycap set! What keyboard did they make this set for? And where's your caps lock, shift and enter?  :eek:  :eek:

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 16:40:39 »

Show Image

Oh man this is great. They look exactly like a Cherry keycap set! What keyboard did they make this set for? And where's your caps lock, shift and enter?  :eek:  :eek:

The keyset was made for the Tai Hao th5539

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Tai-Hao_TH-5539

It's a pretty rare keyboard that I'm trying to find myself. At this point I'm willing to pay a pretty penny for just the keycaps

The keyset comes with a big-ass enter so to get a compatible enter/forward slash key, you gotta sacrifice an enter key from another keyset. I believe that it comes with a right shift as well, so you gotta sacrifice a right shift as well. I'm not to sure about the caps lock though
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline E3E

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 17:21:59 »

Show Image

The keyset was made for the Tai Hao th5539

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Tai-Hao_TH-5539

It's a pretty rare keyboard that I'm trying to find myself. At this point I'm willing to pay a pretty penny for just the keycaps

The keyset comes with a big-ass enter so to get a compatible enter/forward slash key, you gotta sacrifice an enter key from another keyset. I believe that it comes with a right shift as well, so you gotta sacrifice a right shift as well. I'm not to sure about the caps lock though

Yep. I used an OG Cherry doubleshot set for those keys. Their plastic is a bit lighter than the Tai Hao set (which I actually find nicer in terms of color than Cherry), so it's slightly off but it works. I stem-swapped these keys.

I have another NIB set sitting in my closet. :P

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 17:46:34 »
I have another NIB set sitting in my closet.

This guy...

Did you also buy yesterday's dye-sub AT101 on eBay to add to your stash :p
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline E3E

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 17:50:08 »

This guy...

Was there one? I already have four AT101 sets haha. Link? :P

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 18:07:31 »

This guy...

Was there one? I already have four AT101 sets haha. Link? :P

Linkeroo! I always loved that black-on-black look you did by dying them. Been thinking about doing the some with some SGI caps, but the font is pretty ugly in a different way than even AEK sets. I consider those more of a novelty.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 18:21:01 »
Alpine Winter and...?

My GB:
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Mind if I ask where did you source the ALPS plate? I am planning to convert my Duck Viper to alps.

Offline E3E

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 18:29:03 »
Mind if I ask where did you source the ALPS plate? I am planning to convert my Duck Viper to alps.

It was a LeandreN universal plate that happened to work for Alps as well. However, give me a PM. I can help you out with a proper plate if needed.

]
Linkeroo! I always loved that black-on-black look you did by dying them. Been thinking about doing the some with some SGI caps, but the font is pretty ugly in a different way than even AEK sets. I consider those more of a novelty.

Oh, nice! It's so hard to find any mint sets. This one, I would imagine, is not mint either. Of the four sets, I've only got one that is entirely mint, to the point I'd say it's unused, and I never plan on selling that one, haha.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 23:08:41 »

Wait, $329.99 really? This one doesn't even look mint to me. I recently helped Jokrik get 2 of these in better condition for $125 each and I thought that the price was high already :eek:

Believe it or not, the seller told me these AT101s are pretty common and not very hard to find, that he could get more if I want to buy more.

Offline E3E

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 00:09:22 »

Wait, $329.99 really? This one doesn't even look mint to me. I recently helped Jokrik get 2 of these in better condition for $125 each and I thought that the price was high already :eek:

Believe it or not, the seller told me these AT101s are pretty common and not very hard to find, that he could get more if I want to buy more.

Wow, did it? I thought I saw it sell for $165. Oh, no that must've been the big it was at. I thought it had sold.

No, AT101s are not ungodly rare, though there is a difference between having a stockpile and them just being common in general.