Author Topic: Is it ok to buy key caps on shapeways.com?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
Is it ok to buy key caps on shapeways.com?
« on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 23:59:46 »
Hi guys, sorry im new
Is it good to buy 3d print key caps on shapeways.com? I've found some key caps that can be print with silver that i really interested with mx stem, will it fit perfect on cherry switches?
Silver vs Brass, which one is better for key caps?
Thank you!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Is it ok to buy key caps on shapeways.com?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 01:33:11 »
Whether or not the cap fits perfectly depends on the model used so you won't know until you buy one unless there are reviews for the caps. Neither metal will necessarily be better for making caps but the silver caps will probably be heavier due to silver being denser than brass.

On the subject of whether or not it's good to order caps from them it all comes down to preference, the caps will look 3D printed but if you don't mind that look it'll be fine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2017, 01:35:08 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 15:45:19 »
Whether or not the cap fits perfectly depends on the model used so you won't know until you buy one unless there are reviews for the caps. Neither metal will necessarily be better for making caps but the silver caps will probably be heavier due to silver being denser than brass.

On the subject of whether or not it's good to order caps from them it all comes down to preference, the caps will look 3D printed but if you don't mind that look it'll be fine.
Thanks i will try to order one of them to test out. Is there any difference between 3d printed keycaps and regular keycaps?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 15:56:24 »
Thanks i will try to order one of them to test out. Is there any difference between 3d printed keycaps and regular keycaps?

Regular keycaps, whether ABS or PBT, are injection molded.

Regular artisan keycaps are cast using resin but you will see the occasional 3D printed artisan or a cast artisan that uses a 3D printed master.

The thing with 3D printing is even if you clean it up really well there are still marks left from the production process that lets you know it's 3D printed.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Jaymanlp

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 21:25:18 »
There are pros and cons with using 3D printed caps and you should weigh them to determine whether it's worth it to you or not.
On the positive side they are generally cheaper than artisans given all that's needed to make it is a CAD and a printer.
You can also get them in multiple different materials on Shapeways which gives more variety and choice in your cap
Negative points however are that, as stated previously, 3D printed caps have a distinct look and feel and no matter what it will always be noticeable. You will generally need to paint the cap yourself unless you want a single color cap.
A big thing for me is that while I like a lot of caps on shapeways and will probably order some, I'll never appreciate those caps as much as my artisans simply because it doesn't have the craftsmanship that goes into artisans.