Author Topic: Post Pictures Of Your Desk/Set Ups!  (Read 1408409 times)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Desk/Set Ups!
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:11:02 »
Finally getting around to posting my desk. I really love this thing.

I ordered this frame in January; it took about six weeks to get (backordered).
After about three months of using it and I rarely lower it. I'll do a whole raid night (7-11) and not lower it.
Frame --> http://www.geekdesk.com/default.asp?contentID=634 (Large/Black)
Desktop and glass were from Ikea.

The Panduit was for the first round of setting this up, I changed it when I semi retired my Asus laptop and went to the desktop. I'll probably just leave it attached for potential future use.

[/URL]

Crappy iphone video, just to get an idea

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/juston3smok33/IMG_0816_zpsfcbae254.mp4

Girlfriends set up (to the left of my desk)
[/URL]

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:19:15 by Psybin »

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #801 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 14:27:09 »
30" HP ZR30w IPS display in the center at 2560x1600. Side displays are 24" HP ZR2440w IPS at 1920x1200.

(Attachment Link)

I love the monitor setup
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #802 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:00:35 »

After about three months of using it and I rarely lower it. I'll do a whole raid night (7-11) and not lower it.

The Panduit was for the first round of setting this up, I changed it when I semi retired my Asus laptop and went to the desktop. I'll probably just leave it attached for potential future use.

been thinking about the geek desk for a long time but been afraid to pull the trigger, really need a new desk though. one thing is my office is upstairs and the geek-desk looks heavy. i feel like my options are limited

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #803 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:04:41 »
They have a medium and large frame.

And you have to assemble the frame, just a few parts. It comes UPS in a remarkably small box, getting that up a bunch of stairs would be easy.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:11:32 »
is the top seem to be ok quality? just read you got the top at ikea

i actually bring up the site weekly wanting to pull the trigger, was trying to find some here that would make a top so i could get the base quicker, it seems to be the top that is holding up geek desk orders.. but you just said it took you 6 weeks for just the base

i really don't want a cheap desk again, my ikea desk of 5 years is falling apart, the keyboard and mouse are not level anymore and i have to use some cardboard to keep the monitors level. its bad

decisions decisions....
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:13:49 by Glod »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #805 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:14:27 »
That Geekdesk looks really tidy, but it's so damn expensive! I don't know how they can charge over $500 for a desk frame.

I built my desk myself out of wood, and used a piece of MDF for the surface. It cost me something like £20 and that's including the paint and screws. It doesn't look quite as good as those Geekdesks since it's hand-painted, but it's huge and I guarantee it's far sturdier. If I were able to give it a better paintjob it'd look amazing.

Here are some pics of mine :
http://imgur.com/a/32FAJ
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #806 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:00:48 »
Those geekdesks are over priced. I have a desk from ikea that I love and cost me about $150 (with the table stand).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89806740/#/S29836976

These look like the geekdesks on the homepage, just an option for people who are on a tight budget.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19852113/#/S69806816

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #807 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:10:54 »
i dont know how a sit stand desk that has a motor that can lift the weight of a whole person up and down at the flip of a switch is overpriced, find the same thing for cheaper, i dare you.

Offline Amble

« Reply #808 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:16:47 »
I love that desk Psybin... frosted or black glass is the way to go IMO.  They are easy to clean and they look great. 

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #809 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:18:15 »
I couldn't find anything cheaper and I looked quite a bit.

There are some hand crank models that looked promising but they weren't much cheaper.

The Ikea desks/frames he linked is what I had my top on, and what the 2nd desk in the room is on. They are decent and make good desks, but absolutely not something you would want to adjust and re-adjust on a regular basis.

For as much time as I spend at my desk at home, school, work, gaming, the $600 or whatever was absolutely worth it. If it magically broke today and they were now MUCH more expensive, I'd buy the bullet and buy another, but that is just me, so whatever.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #810 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:19:36 »
i dont know how a sit stand desk that has a motor that can lift the weight of a whole person up and down at the flip of a switch is overpriced, find the same thing for cheaper, i dare you.

Buy one with a broken motor (of eBay or summint) Buy some weights; beef up and lift it by hand!

Or

Buy 2 different height desks and position them next to each other and lift over monitor/mouse/Keyboard :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #811 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:36:46 »

I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything, but a grand for an adjustable desk seems high.

I never needed a motorized desk so I never priced them, so if that's a bargain I stand corrected.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #812 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 20:26:09 »
30" HP ZR30w IPS display in the center at 2560x1600. Side displays are 24" HP ZR2440w IPS at 1920x1200.

(Attachment Link)

I love the monitor setup

Thanks!

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. This is my current setup. I now keep the right display in portrait at all times. Works great for project notes this way. I normally have my code window open on the left display, but move it to the right at times if coding something complex. The portrait view allows for seeing so much more code. Eliminates a lot of scrolling. And seeing more code in a single view helps keep a handle on what I'm doing.

You can also see on the desk in the back left a Datacolor Spyder4Pro colorimeter. All displays are calibrated with this, which definitely improves the display quality. (I figured if I'm going to invest 3k in displays and arms, might as well spend a bit more for calibration.) But the other benefit of the colorimeter is it takes an ambient light reading every 10 minutes and adjusts monitor brightness accordingly. All displays dim down when it gets dark, which is easier on the eyes when you sit in front of them 14 hours a day.

18430-0

The arms make everything very adaptable. The arm for the 30" is an Innovative 7500-HD-1500 and extends 27". So I can bring it to the front of the desk if I want to watch a movie on the couch behind my desk. The side display arms are Ergotron LX with additional arm extensions. Because of the size of the 30", the stock arms couldn't reach far enough to allow for proper viewing beside the big guy.

18432-1

The displays are connected to a single GeForce GTX 680 on an i7, 24GB ram and 2 Velociraptors in RAID 0. The You'd think the GTX 680 would easily handle any new game with ease. But it chokes a bit when gaming in 2560x1600. Skyrim, fully modded with hi res textures gives me about 30FPS. Not great, but playable. when the 680s drop in price, I'll pick another up for SLI.

Offline ping111

« Reply #813 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 17:08:52 »

I'm just now getting into the whole layout business, so I have a very basic desktop right now.

All relevant items:

Keyboard = Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 (Cherry MX Brown, Blue LED Backlight, came with memory foam wrist rest)
Computer = MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2010 (I'm getting a retina-display one as soon as this one is too old to use, and I'm going to get parallels for it.  Also getting monitor.)
Mouse = Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 (I don't need no stinking expensive mouse!)
Mousepad = Razer Vespula Dual-Sided Mousepad (I'm currently using the Control side for day-to-day use)
Headphones = BOSE AE2 (Can't recommend them enough!)
Gloves = Some Nakamura bike gloves I picked up in a sport shop (Wear one on my right hand for the mouse to avoid slipping when gaming; mainly used for playing paintball)
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline RougeR

« Reply #814 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 17:22:38 »
or you could get something which doesnt cost twice as much as any other pc with no gain, doesnt have a locked down OS, and allows you to change its hardware as you please.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #815 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:05:47 »
Show Image

Has magic hhkb Bluetooth
Doesn't even use his own cables
Hehehehehe
Hasu actually does have a Bluetooth poker:)

Bluetooth? I've got wireless

Show Image

Show Image

SHIET WHERE BUY HOW ACQUIRE?!?!? SELL ME PLS

Keylogging made easy.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #816 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:27:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image
[/URL]
Show Image

Show Image

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/juston3smok33/IMG_0816_zpsfcbae254.mp4

Show Image
[/URL]

Nice Setup.  I am definitely getting a Geekdesk v3 but I am not sure if I should go with the top from them or get one from ikea.  How hard is it to attach one of your own tops to it?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline vaLk

« Reply #817 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 23:06:40 »
or you could get something which doesnt cost twice as much as any other pc with no gain, doesnt have a locked down OS, and allows you to change its hardware as you please.
I love how there's still people who actually think this.
Unicomp Customizer w/ blank keycaps | Filco Majestouch Cherry Browns | Dell U2410 x Dell 2007WFP | Logitech G500 | M-Audio BX5a's | 2011 11" Macbook Air
Twitter | Tumblr | Last.fm

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #818 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 05:24:35 »

...saying that only because Apple don't charge premium for their PCs anymore (and RougeR used conjunction)?

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #819 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 05:28:08 »
Just a couple screws to attach the top, easy stuff.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #820 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 09:57:15 »

...saying that only because Apple don't charge premium for their PCs anymore (and RougeR used conjunction)?

what world are you living in?
apple overprice by a bomb
and are locked down as wella s being a terrible company ethics wise
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #821 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 14:16:30 »

what world are you living in?
apple overprice by a bomb

Last time I checked, Air was more or less on par with other ultrabooks, and other vendors didn't have anything close to "reasonable resolution" except few exceptions (displays such as 2048×1536 in a thinkpad, anyone?). Times when they sold overpriced basic macbooks (0.6k vs. 1k EUR) in Europe are long gone.

and are locked down as wella s being a terrible company ethics wise

Definitely agree with that, even though desktop OS X really isn't the worst thing in the market (Darwin and stuff).

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #822 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:48:01 »
Apple has exceptional build quality. No doubt about that. And obviously I don't mind paying a premium for something to get quality since I now have two RF 87Us and an HHKB Pro 2 sitting on my desk.

But a notebook computer is outdated in two years. At that point you toss it and get a new one. As nice as it looks, I can't see the value in paying for a brushed aluminum case for a disposable commodity.

Obviously, I'm biased. Just look at my forum name. What I detest about Apple is the proprietary business model. (I don't want to 'have' to use their Marxist iTunes.) And second, the arrogant, snooty attitude of many Mac users, as if they're the 'enlightened' ones. (Reminds me of the Prius drivers in that South Park episode.) I don't think that attitude is as prevalent as it once was, but it has been the defining attitude in years past.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #823 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:55:16 »
tbh 1920x1080/1200 is fine for m on a laptop...dont really want or need more, if i did id use my 4960x1600 desktop

their ultrabook arnt TOO overpriced (still a fair bit)...but this is implying that ultrabooks arnt overpriced in general

everything else they make is WELL above the going price with no benefits.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #824 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 17:11:53 »
Apple has exceptional build quality. No doubt about that. And obviously I don't mind paying a premium for something to get quality since I now have two RF 87Us and an HHKB Pro 2 sitting on my desk.

But a notebook computer is outdated in two years. At that point you toss it and get a new one. As nice as it looks, I can't see the value in paying for a brushed aluminum case for a disposable commodity.

Obviously, I'm biased. Just look at my forum name. What I detest about Apple is the proprietary business model. (I don't want to 'have' to use their Marxist iTunes.) And second, the arrogant, snooty attitude of many Mac users, as if they're the 'enlightened' ones. (Reminds me of the Prius drivers in that South Park episode.) I don't think that attitude is as prevalent as it once was, but it has been the defining attitude in years past.

lol @ marxist itunes, do you even social theory bro

this is why we consider ourselves enlightened
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #825 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 00:04:04 »

lol @ marxist itunes, do you even social theory bro

this is why we consider ourselves enlightened

Muahahahaha. I knew that trolling would pull at least one of you guys in! Bam...fish in the boat!

As a programmer, I have respect for Apple's Unix based OS. And as a Windows guy, I'm downright embarrassed that Win8 is the best Microsoft could come up with. In all fairness, it's a great platform for tablets and phones. I don't think they get a enough good press for that. The Win8 phones are rock solid, fast and productive. But as a desktop OS, it sucks like a cheap **** with a chipped tooth. And you can't tell me they didn't see that coming. I'm sure every beta tester told them they wanted a Start menu. Love him or hate him, Gates was a visionary. Ballmer is not. Yes, he fired Sinofsky (the lead on the Win8 project) 15 days after the release of Win8. But...Ballmer should've seen that coming. With Win7 redeeming Msft from dog that Vista was, I thought they had learned their lesson. I was wrong.

But even with the above mentioned Microsoft shortcomings, I enjoy my freedom too much to pledge my allegiance to the Almighty Apple.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #826 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 00:16:52 »
But even with the above mentioned Microsoft shortcomings, I enjoy my freedom too much to pledge my allegiance to the Almighty Apple.

you have a thing for hyperbole don't you? careful, the apple police are around every corner waiting to enslave you
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #827 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 00:49:25 »
Nice Setup.  I am definitely getting a Geekdesk v3 but I am not sure if I should go with the top from them or get one from ikea.  How hard is it to attach one of your own tops to it?

I would also like to know. I've had my eye on a GeekDesk for months now (probably gonna see if can get my work to spring for one).

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #828 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 03:24:45 »
you have a thing for hyperbole don't you?

Hehehe, yeah. Probably too many years of gaming. Over dramatic to be sure. But a little friendly banter makes the forum fun to read and it's all tongue-in-cheek. I only poke at people I like. Hell, I make as much fun of myself as I do other people. We're all a bunch of boring geeks talking about computer keyboards. It's nice to ruffle a few feathers once in awhile. If they can't have fun with it, that's their problem.   :p

Speaking of geeks, you gotta love the interview with the typing contest winner at the end of this...

"So Sean...now that you have this big win under your belt, where do you go from here?"

"Well, I'd like to move out of my mom's basement someday, but no rush. And I also hope to see a naked woman someday. I read on a blog that it can be quite exhilarating."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #829 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 06:43:58 »
Apple has exceptional build quality. No doubt about that.

So does my thinkpad.

OMG, my X200T is outdated, you've ruined my day.

The Win8 phones are rock solid, fast and productive.

Challenge accepted?

Love him or hate him, Gates was a visionary.

Remember The Microsoft Network?

Microsoft and freedom in one sentence?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #830 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 06:53:05 »
Back to topic, IDK if I've posted my portable setup, but anyway... I love the width of 75% keyboards.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #831 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 06:57:40 »
Back to topic, IDK if I've posted my portable setup, but anyway... I love the width of 75% keyboards.

Do you deactivate the keyboard to do something like that? If so, how?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #832 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 07:08:24 »

Do you deactivate the keyboard to do something like that? If so, how?

Nope, rubber feet on the choc mini are exactly on laptop edges, but xinput disable 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard' should work.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #833 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:24:06 »
BTW convertible tablet = win

Offline ping111

« Reply #834 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:38:04 »
Dat desktop maaaaaaaaaaang

I feel ya brony
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline tauburn

« Reply #835 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 18:42:29 »

yep

Offline vaLk

« Reply #836 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 00:05:23 »
Is that camera functional?  Pretty awesome, either way.

My girlfriend is a fine art photo major, so I know a little bit about photo now.  I remember one day over break, she had a Mamiya RB67, and the plate inside (or whatever they're called--the like thin sheet of metal that slides in and out) got stuck, because the last idiot who used it jammed in a plate that wasn't made for this camera, and I had to spend the whole day like disassembling and reassembling the camera.  It sucked, but I was very proud of eventually being able to get it to work again.
Unicomp Customizer w/ blank keycaps | Filco Majestouch Cherry Browns | Dell U2410 x Dell 2007WFP | Logitech G500 | M-Audio BX5a's | 2011 11" Macbook Air

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #837 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 01:34:05 »
Show Image

yep

Nice IPS display. Like the camera too.

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #838 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 14:57:51 »
Not super clean like you lot, but it works for me. :D

Normal view...

Top view...

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #839 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 18:03:11 »
Here's mine :D

Show Image

That wallpaper. I must have it. Someone please supply ~
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 19:51:58 by VesperSAINT »

Offline tauburn

« Reply #840 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 19:49:04 »
Is that camera functional?  Pretty awesome, either way.

My girlfriend is a fine art photo major, so I know a little bit about photo now.  I remember one day over break, she had a Mamiya RB67, and the plate inside (or whatever they're called--the like thin sheet of metal that slides in and out) got stuck, because the last idiot who used it jammed in a plate that wasn't made for this camera, and I had to spend the whole day like disassembling and reassembling the camera.  It sucked, but I was very proud of eventually being able to get it to work again.

yeah. it is. i shot a roll last week.  and lol that sucks.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #841 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 19:58:11 »
Here's mine :D

Show Image

That wallpaper. I must have it. Someone please supply ~

It's on reddit somewhere. I use it on my laptop. I'll get it in a bit.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #842 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:03:47 »
It's on reddit somewhere. I use it on my laptop. I'll get it in a bit.

Thank you, kind sir. I don't go on reddit so I wouldn't be able to retrieve it :P

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #843 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:07:00 »
Found it. Here ya go:

Probably just needs some hue/sat and lighting effects.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #844 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:12:52 »
Found it. Here ya go:

Show Image

Probably just needs some hue/sat and lighting effects.

Thank you! I'll be doing some photoshopping later tonight on this baby :)

Thank you to inteli722 too!

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #845 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:12:53 »
Setup whilst I was home for Easter:

Now I'm back at uni:
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline vaLk

« Reply #846 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:49:13 »
^^^^glorious vertical secondary display master race

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #847 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:54:18 »
^^^^glorious vertical secondary display master race

I definitely go back and forth on the vertical secondary display.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #848 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 00:41:12 »
Setup whilst I was home for Easter:
<snip>

I have three displays, and run one in portrait at all times. VERY productive. I'm surprised more multi-display users haven't figured that out...   :rolleyes:

Offline bw

« Reply #849 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 01:32:41 »
19809-0

The only bad thing about portrait displays is Cleartype doesn't seem to work (or very well).
Macbook Pro Keyboard with custom cat hair damping