Author Topic: [GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!  (Read 201164 times)

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% GB R1 Closed - Shipping to you - www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #600 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 14:37:06 »
Yeah, waiting for Laser as well. At first I wanted SA by the sea and maybe I'll order 40s kit for the sake of 40% SA compatibility, but not the full kit.
Still deciding on switches and LED color, though. Most mods will be clicky and I want to try navies for this, but what about alphas: I like burnt oranges, but already have it on Planck:

And obviously, want to try something new.
What's your suggestion?

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #601 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:17:07 »
Yeah, waiting for Laser as well. At first I wanted SA by the sea and maybe I'll order 40s kit for the sake of 40% SA compatibility, but not the full kit.
Still deciding on switches and LED color, though. Most mods will be clicky and I want to try navies for this, but what about alphas: I like burnt oranges, but already have it on Planck:
Show Image

What's your suggestion?
If you're willing to wait a little bit Novelkeys has been teasing a new tactile box switch. You would need to wait for them to be produced after a group buy though.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #602 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:45:53 »
Show Image

What's your suggestion?
If you're willing to wait a little bit Novelkeys has been teasing a new tactile box switch. You would need to wait for them to be produced after a group buy though.

where do you see this teasing?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #603 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:48:50 »
Show Image

What's your suggestion?

he's been doing it on discord
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #604 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:11:04 »
Show Image

What's your suggestion?

Any details: weight, travel? I like heavy switches, but AFAIK, Jade has some issues, so I'll pass.

I don't have much choice of switches here, but from what I've tried I like white ALPS most, so looking for something similar, but without click and with cherry mount.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #605 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:12:30 »
Show Image

What's your suggestion?

he's been doing it on discord

I guess I've seen people talking about novelkeys purple switches.  Maybe that's it.  I really think people who are seeking the holy grail of the tactile switch should rethink rubber domes and alps boards.  You're never going to match those switches for tactility (P.S. I'd be happy to eat my words)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #606 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:14:46 »
Hey, wait a minute...

I noticed the title of this thread changed earlier this afternoon: "Re: [GB] Pearl 40% GB R1 Closed - Shipping to you - www.pearlboards.com"

"R1 Closed"

"R1"
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:18:27 »
Hey, wait a minute...

I noticed the title of this thread changed earlier this afternoon: "Re: [GB] Pearl 40% GB R1 Closed - Shipping to you - www.pearlboards.com"

"R1 Closed"

"R1"

:JD intensifies:
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #608 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:20:38 »
Hey, wait a minute...

"R1 Closed"

"R1"

This is now a meme
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #609 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:30:23 »
Hey, wait a minute...

"R1 Closed"

"R1"

This is now a meme

I saw the "R1".. totaly intensify for me then I see this post XD !

I WANT THE 6x% :D !

Offline Rawrsor

« Reply #610 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 22:57:49 »
Pearl #118 checking in (unbuilt, unfortunately :( )

Gotta get some lube, clean these switches up (harvested off a very dirty zenith z-150), and get some keycaps before build time! In the meantime, here are some test fit pics :)

TINA-C | Gat Blacks /// JD45 | Jailhouse Greens /// JD40 | 65g Zealios /// Minivan | Fosen Aquamarines /// JJ50 | Kailh Box Blacks /// KC60 | Cherry Clears

Offline d.caminero

It does sound super cool!! Sound dampening is one of my personal favorite mods ever. I have sound dampening under my spacebar, and for my Pearl builds without the diffuser, I pack the extra top case inside space with the paper wrap that your Pearls came in. Its a wonderful mod. So damn excited to try a build with this foam + acrylic + a silent linear. As for a second Round, maybe. It would be a very long while. Id probably flatten the design more, make the tolerances less tight, and possibly center the indicator lights since people wanted that. But I need to reserve a slot to get the work done. And I already have my 6x boards ready to show off. So its a pipeline! Pearl R2 depends on the future demand and not the current hype of owning one, and the overall satisfaction of the long time users! Finally, I've never seen those costar style stabs with the long wires. Very interesting! I don't see why they wouldn't work xD

Can you give us a picture of that top case packing? I may try to do that as well since I love my clicks but not my clacks.
Foam + acrylic should be silent AF man.

Thanks for the answer about a second round. I can see why you'd want to wait and see how things go and of course that you want to develop other projects. I just wanted to have a bit more of an insight into your original comment about the likeliness of a second round :)

Also, very excited to see your 6% project. If it's not blocked I will have a predisposition to join in hahah

I'll get some of those stabs to try to fit ALPS keysets with non-standard mounting and see how it goes :)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
Can you give us a picture of that top case packing?
Thanks for the answer about a second round. I just wanted to have a bit more of an insight into your original comment about the likeliness of a second round :)
Also, very excited to see your 6% project. If it's not blocked I will have a predisposition to join in hahah
I'll get some of those stabs to try to fit ALPS keysets with non-standard mounting and see how it goes :)
Thank you bro<3 Nothings off the table. Just a matter of time and demand! And hoping to tease my new board before months end!

Pearl #118 checking in
Show Image

Those ALPS are so pretty x!!!!!

Also here is the packing. Some under the spacebar, some inside the top case. There are way better materials to use than paper, like actual foam and sound dampening material. But just know they are mods that definitely improve sound!

Extra Pic
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2018, 09:20:09 by Koobaczech »

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 10:09:00 »
After playing around and using the board for a week. I would ask for two changes if you move on to a second round.

Fix the stagger on the top row, make the esc the same size as the tab. This has been rather difficult to get used to.

Second fix would be to make the split space options a uniform size. This one isn't as big of a thing, but aesthetically would look much better.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #614 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 10:25:31 »
Hey bud! Answer to some of your questions!
Fix the stagger on the top row
Top row stagger is normal, ROW2 stagger is offset a few mm's to the right. Did you mean R2?

Make the esc the same size as the tab. This has been rather difficult to get used to.
If the ESC is made 1.5u, then the backspace would need to be made 1.5u, and you would lose a key for the extra .5u+.5u additions, and you would lose the ability to have a full size backspace. If we make the esc 1.5u and don't touch the backspace, another top key would have to be made 1.5u, and you would still lose a key.

Second fix would be to make the split space options a uniform size. This one isn't as big of a thing, but aesthetically would look much better.
Could do this man! But id lose a huge aspect of Pearl, which is keyset compatibility. More specifically, the lack of need to buy specialty 40% kits. What size were you thinking for these? 2.25u?

As you can see, a 40% is naturally impaired by these layout issues. And it was tough choosing the route I did. Pearl was very experimental with the weight, USB-C, the new layout. It is for sure tricky getting used to. But this feedback is golden. I jot down everything and it will all go into account if a second round comes around. Thanks Zanduby

Offline d.caminero

Also here is the packing. Some under the spacebar, some inside the top case. There are way better materials to use than paper, like actual foam and sound dampening material. But just know they are mods that definitely improve sound!
Show Image

Extra Pic
Show Image

Thanks for the pictures Koob! Very clear now how to put the paper in, I'll try to find some dampening foam here as well, but this will do in the meantime.
Also, that Bro looks awesome and a nice combo!

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 10:48:01 »
Hey bud! Answer to some of your questions!
Fix the stagger on the top row
Top row stagger is normal, ROW2 stagger is offset a few mm's to the right. Did you mean R2?

Make the esc the same size as the tab. This has been rather difficult to get used to.
If the ESC is made 1.5u, then the backspace would need to be made 1.5u, and you would lose a key for the extra .5u+.5u additions, and you would lose the ability to have a full size backspace. If we make the esc 1.5u and don't touch the backspace, another top key would have to be made 1.5u, and you would still lose a key.

Could do this man! But id lose a huge aspect of Pearl, which is keyset compatibility. More specifically, the lack of need to buy specialty 40% kits. What size were you thinking for these? 2.25u?

As you can see, a 40% is naturally impaired by these layout issues. And it was tough choosing the route I did. Pearl was very experimental with the weight, USB-C, the new layout. It is for sure tricky getting used to. But this feedback is golden. I jot down everything and it will all go into account if a second round comes around. Thanks Zanduby

Top row would be normal if it was the number row for sure, so i guess r2?

I totally get that there are a lot of things to juggle when making these. I set mine up to have a 1u backspace so it really isn't that big of deal for me to that the 1.5u esc, but, that is just me.

Thanks for your hard work on this,  and thanks for taking our ideas into consideration.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #617 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 11:02:47 »
Yeah, he had to make the stagger different in order to "fix" key size compatibility.

If he went to a normal stagger, you would be basically at a JD40/JD45 and need different keycaps than you can find in a standard ANSI kit.

in memoriam

Offline kriminal

« Reply #618 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:02:50 »
I'm fully turquo'd boys.

This thing had some very tight tolerances, had to sand down my brass weight to drop it in, but overall it's built like a tank and now I know I love box navys. Fun little board for sure, thanks Koob.

yup looks like I have to sand the brass weight also, thought It was only me lol, no biggie
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #619 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 13:40:56 »
Mkay my Pearl is now waiting for pickup at the local post office. Tomorrow pickup, Saturday build day!

Also, I presume the underlighting work as described in this QMK documentation if I use QMK to setup my Pearl: https://docs.qmk.fm/feature_rgblight.html ?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #620 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 13:52:15 »
Mkay my Pearl is now waiting for pickup at the local post office. Tomorrow pickup, Saturday build day!

Also, I presume the underlighting work as described in this QMK documentation if I use QMK to setup my Pearl: https://docs.qmk.fm/feature_rgblight.html ?
Yup, works fine.  Both the default and jetpack's keymaps currently include rgb. Backlighting doesn't work yet afaik.

Jetpack's keymap also has a cool function where the LEDs indicate which layer u r on:)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #621 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 13:58:37 »

Yup, works fine.  Both the default and jetpack's keymaps currently include rgb. Backlighting doesn't work yet afaik.

Jetpack's keymap also has a cool function where the LEDs indicate which layer u r on:)

Ah yeah I saw the LED indicator trick earlier. Need to copy that over to my firmware as well. :D

Thanks!
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline mike-y

« Reply #622 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:41:33 »
my package has been "delayed" by USPS since last Friday, with no update since then.  I'm trying to get a hold of them to request a re-delivery, but I fear that they've lost it .

There hadn't been an update from USPS since friday, but I finally got a hold of them yesterday and put in a re-delivery request.  Tracking information finally got updated this morning, and they dropped it off here about 5 minutes ago.  Just got through opening the package and am very impressed at the personalized details and packing efforts.  It mades the whole unboxing experience a little more special :-)

Thanks!!

Offline gutsack

« Reply #623 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:45:09 »
Number 28 here. Went with 67g Zilents. Brass plate. Split backspace and space. Jukebox SA. Switched to QMK and it's working like a dream. I ended up building the whole thing live on YouTube, if you're into such things: http://karbonbased.io/builds/pearl

190863-0190867-1190865-2

The Pearl is so much fun to type on and so well designed. Love it.

Offline mike-y

« Reply #624 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 22:32:34 »
here's order #135 checking in.  I just did a mock up to take the pictures, and carefully packed it back up again until I'm ready to build it.  I have 2 other keyboard kits that need attention right now, so I may have to wait a bit for the Pearl to see if I have room in my expanding collection, lol.

anyway, I have the cyan case with an extra purple plate.  take a look:

190910-0

190912-1

190914-2

190916-3

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #625 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 23:08:05 »
Any plans on an R2/will there be extras up eventually?

This GB ran while I was still undecided about 40%'s and now I really regret not getting it.

Offline clee

« Reply #626 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 01:37:14 »
I totally forgot about this thread! Pearl #102 checking in.

Final picture first:
190926-0

I stole the switches from another board I already had caps on, and I was too lazy to pull all the caps off before I put them in the Pearl.
190928-1

All switches soldered up (no switch lights, and at this point I had not installed the indicator LEDs):
190930-2

One switch showing:
190932-3

I got an extra USB-C cable! Super handy so I can move the Pearl back and forth from work to home and I don't have to bring a cable with me.
190934-4
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2018, 01:51:36 by clee »

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #627 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 02:51:59 »

OMG dude your board looks so cool with GMK Oblivion, great job on the build

Offline curist

« Reply #628 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 05:40:02 »
Yeah, he had to make the stagger different in order to "fix" key size compatibility.

If he went to a normal stagger, you would be basically at a JD40/JD45 and need different keycaps than you can find in a standard ANSI kit.

I feel that figuring a layout that fit oneself, is a terrific puzzle to solve. Having a 40%, it's not always reasonable to let keys sit where they usually are, we have so many characters we want to type, and yet we only have these many keys.
For me, the left most three keys from top to bottom, are tab, ctrl, and l_shift. I'm not using a esc nor capslock there.
I believe many others do have similar ideas/layouts, so, at least for me, I'm not able to use a standard ANSI kit anyway.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #629 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 05:49:04 »

I feel that figuring a layout that fit oneself, is a terrific puzzle to solve. Having a 40%, it's not always reasonable to let keys sit where they usually are, we have so many characters we want to type, and yet we only have these many keys.
For me, the left most three keys from top to bottom, are tab, ctrl, and l_shift. I'm not using a esc nor capslock there.
I believe many others do have similar ideas/layouts, so, at least for me, I'm not able to use a standard ANSI kit anyway.

Coming from 60% making a layout for a 40% is actually a fun adventure. My plan currently has 4 layers just so I can simulate my 60% layout. Luckily I've gotten used to a thumb Backspace on my Ergodox so the split space setup makes it simple to have the Backspace on the bottom row instead of the top-right corner. I do know that I can't use this layout when playing PC games but then I can put the left half of my Ergodox next to the Pearl. I will have to see whether programming becomes a real pain in the butt with this keyboard as well. :)

My left edge is Tab, Fn1, Shift. I never use Caps lock so no need for it. My Ctrl is the leftmost key on the bottom row but as the layout is HHKBish I bet I will mistake it for Gui or Alt quite often in the beginning.

I will be sending my layout to the QMK repo when I'm done writing and testing it.

As for key compatibility I think it is really neat that I can use any regularish ANSI keyset with some minor profile variation in places where it doesn't really matter.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #630 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 10:43:37 »
Well, yesterday I finally picked up my Pearl and I have to say some things:

First of all, Koob the packing job was over the ****ing top. I haven't seen anything so well and carefully done in all my years of internet buying, not big companies nor small individuals. It was simply astounding and just perfect. It shows the effort you've put in packing everything and figuring out the best way to do so. Thank you so much for it.

Second, the board is awesome, I have no words to describe it. It just left me with a big grin in my face and made me forget about my poor SO for some hours. I do have some feedback for you as well, I'll PM you in a whim, but it goes in the same line with what other's said.

Third, thank you so much for the stickers, extra cable and the foam. All the personalized and hand-crafted details were amazing. I will definitely be using that foam to dampen sound.

Fourth, the acryllic plate is perfect although I'll need to figure out a way to hold my ALPS on it ot at least hold them enough to set them straight, but otherwise I love it. It has a nice feel and good sound. Of course the brass plate is stunning as well, but I didn't even take it from the paper since I didn't want to touch it with my bare hands.

All in all I can say this is my best GB experience with quite a lot of difference. It was not only done without major problems, but also with love and very well thought, looking to every detail and in my opinion that is something that can be seen here and in our lovely boards. You can definitely count me in for your 6x% project. Thank you so much for all this work Koob.

I took some mock-up pictures since I'm still cleaning my ALPS, I'll upload them later to show you all how well DSA Lightcycle goes with the Gray color.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #631 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 14:26:40 »
My Pearl 40% arrived safe and sound. The shipping box has taken some damage on the way but the hefty inner packaging kept the parts safe. Really nice work on prepping the package, the small pouch for the cable and screws is neat, and everything seems to be in the package as it should. All GB runners should take note of the care and work put in this GB Koob. :)

I did not unwrap the individual pieces yet as I need to carry the package with me tomorrow, but I will inspect the parts tomorrow and get in touch in case something is wonky.

Thanks!
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #632 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:20:48 »
You guys using ALPS, what is your lube of choice? I'm guessing summer kind of dry lube, but which one and where do you prefer to lube?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #633 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:26:10 »
You guys using ALPS, what is your lube of choice? I'm guessing summer kind of dry lube, but which one and where do you prefer to lube?

tribosys

Offline SuperBo

« Reply #634 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 22:37:42 »
It seems that holtite doesn't fit this PCB. The hole is too tight.

:"(

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline clee

« Reply #635 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 23:57:57 »
OMG dude your board looks so cool with GMK Oblivion, great job on the build

Thanks! I think it looks pretty slick. Very happy with the Pearl, just wish I had bought another one...

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #636 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 00:06:20 »
Finally got to building my Pearl today! Was just waiting on my lube to come in!

Also picked up a neat soldering kit and soldering mat since all my previous stuff was wayyyy old!

such a slick plate, felt ****ty having to cover it up at all...each piece is display worthy clean

My lube station!

Stabilizers lubed and placed on the board!

Decided to go with Kailh Sages for my first build! A satisfying click, but a bit heavier to suit the weight of the board a bit more :)

so slick

I havent soldered anything since I was in 7th grade so this was exciting as **** to try again!

My boy Indiana wondering what all the rukus was in the kitchen

Went with GMK Plum on this girly! Kinda wanted to put SA Camping on it, but the caps are filthy as they're on my daily driver, and after a long day of work I frankly couldn't be bothered to give the kids a bath

Bonus shot of my moonlight keybuto! Realized all my artisans dont really match any of my keysets except my milhouse board haha

Such a slick RGB shinethrough,

negaTives of the peaRl grOupbuy! LoL
More
box was damaged in transit - I've already asked for Kooba to reimburse me for inferorior USPS packaging

box was soaked in blood after I opened it! not sure why...

Marginal chip on underside of plate, have already created scathing reddit post discrediting all of Koobas hard work

Kooba felt the need to insult my financial status by including the business and finance section in his packaging materials...

I joke of course :)

In all seriousness, overall this was a 10/10 GB experience, Koob was providing constant updates, always open to feedback, ideas, suggestions, and was helpful throughout the entire purchase, manufacturing and even build process!

The board itself is an 11/10, a great weight too it, slick look, great anodized color, it was almost criminal to have to put it together because each part on its own looks ****ing amazing.

For a first time Groupbuy Kooba set an incredibly high bar! I will be in on any groupbuy this guy puts together in the future should I a. have any remaining organs to sell for keebs b. have keysets to be able to cover them!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 00:08:34 by THRILLHOIAF »

Offline clee

« Reply #637 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 04:03:47 »
For anybody else who flashes QMK onto their Pearls: I wrote an alternative LED algorithm that lights up multiple LEDs to indicate layers (none for default layer 0, and then 1 LED for layer 1, 2 LEDs for layer 2, and 3 LEDs for layer 3).

https://github.com/clee/qmk_firmware/blob/pearl-clee/keyboards/pearl/keymaps/clee/keymap.c#L32

If you already have a layer_state_set_kb function, delete it and replace it with this one, otherwise just paste this into your keymap.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #638 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 06:59:55 »
I'm worried that my PCB is faulty. With no switches or anything soldered on the PCB when I connect pads together, I get funky key presses in a keyboard tester.

Activating Esc activates Hyper at the same time (Esc Ctrl Alt Gui all light up), activating Q activates QAZ and Alt, and so on. I can't activate A on its own. The PCB is fresh off the packaging and plugged in via the cable that came with the package.

Is the default layout broken or is my PCB broken? Could this be related to my PC somehow? I have my BananaSplit 60% plugged in as well and that works normally.

I will continue testing, I use just some raw copper wire to connect the pads on each switch position.

EDIT: It looks like the top row leaks all presses to the whole column, with the strange exception of [{ and Backspace. Pressing O also triggers 0 (zero) as the Fn1 is on that column. Does this mean the PCB is faulty or is the firmware misconfigured for the matrix of the PCB?

EDIT2: how does one reset this thing? lsusb shows something called "Clay Logic" for the PCB and connecting RST and GND only reboots the PCB without setting it into bootloading mode? Anyone have a command for flashing the default QMK layout using dfu-programmer? The MCU is `atmega32a au`so I should probably just compile a HEX and then use `dfu-programmer atmega32a flash` or similar?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 07:48:31 by ojrask »
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #639 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 08:04:40 »
Try first using bootmapper client and putting it in bootmapper mode. WKL-based PCB's tend to work strangely until flashed with bootmapper client.
You can toggle there the bootmapper mode and then check each pad to see if they work, since the client will show you in orange the one you "pressed".
I would leave QMK for now until you know it is working properly.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #640 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 08:11:03 »
Try first using bootmapper client and putting it in bootmapper mode. WKL-based PCB's tend to work strangely until flashed with bootmapper client.
You can toggle there the bootmapper mode and then check each pad to see if they work, since the client will show you in orange the one you "pressed".
I would leave QMK for now until you know it is working properly.

Is there a bootmapper client available for Linux? I only see Win and Mac clients on the Pearl page.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #641 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 08:29:00 »
Is there a bootmapper client available for Linux? I only see Win and Mac clients on the Pearl page.

Unfortunately not that I know of, only Windows and I'm not even sure about Mac but if it says so in the pearl page it should be.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #642 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 08:37:05 »
Okay according to QMK repo's https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/ps2avrGB Pearl is supported, but now I'm at loss as to how to setup bootloadHID on Linux. I download the sources and compile with what flags in `bootloaderconfig.h`? Maybe I'll follow the brew raw commands for this.

I did manage to get Pearl into bootmapper mode by keeping Esc active while plugging in, at least the underglow stopped and lsusb shows a device.

EDIT: okay I did manage get flashing to work on Ubuntu as follows:

- Clone https://github.com/robertgzr/bootloadHID
- `cd` into `bootloadHID/commandline`
- run `sudo make VENDORID=0x16c0 PRODUCTID=0x05DF # these ids are for atmega32A` (there may appear some warning about some USB lib thing here)
- then get a hex and flash it using: `sudo ./bootloadHID -r keymap.hex`

But now I would like to get a HEX from someone who has an operating top row. Reflashing the pearlboards.com default HEX made no change to my issue and top row leaks as it did earlier.

When I attempt to build a HEX with QMK (`make pearl:default`) I receive the following:

/usr/lib/avr/include/avr/io/h:428:6: error: #warning "device tpye not defined"

And loads of undeclared indentifier errors relating to ports and bins.

EDIT2: took a closer look at the PCB and noticed the following:

- Resistor R0 (next to LShift switch hole) is missing a resistor. I can see solder there but no resistor on the pads.
- Something labeled N1 does not have any component on it, only solder on three empty pads.
- A USB connector foot is burnt a little and looks like it touched the top row connection runway.

Any of these causing my issues?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:09:32 by ojrask »
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #643 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:17:02 »
Hey ojrask! Sorry I've been so busy! Got your email and it alerted me to check the thread! Lots of cool stuff i missed. But your PCB seems like its missing some components that would definitely affect it. They could have fallen off in transit, rubbed of or just not been there to begin with. It happens! They could even be in the packaging that it was wrapped in. Regardless, I will send you a replacement PCB! I've got your address and hope this next one works fine! I'll inspect it before sending. Sorry about that sir!

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #644 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:27:50 »
Hey ojrask! Sorry I've been so busy! Got your email and it alerted me to check the thread! Lots of cool stuff i missed. But your PCB seems like its missing some components that would definitely affect it. They could have fallen off in transit, rubbed of or just not been there to begin with. It happens! They could even be in the packaging that it was wrapped in. Regardless, I will send you a replacement PCB! I've got your address and hope this next one works fine! I'll inspect it before sending. Sorry about that sir!

Awesome, I will try and see if the components are in the packaging somewhere, but it does look like there is only solder applied and nothing has dropped off of them.

I'll wait for the new PCB in the meantime, many thanks!

Hopefully, a thorough QMK guide is up by then, having trouble understanding why I can't even build the default keymap with it. :)
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #645 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:44:45 »
No problem my friend! I promise the second i send the last Pearl out i will start on the QMK guide! Its been non stop work x!

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #646 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:59:43 »

Awesome, I will try and see if the components are in the packaging somewhere, but it does look like there is only solder applied and nothing has dropped off of them.

Hopefully, a thorough QMK guide is up by then, having trouble understanding why I can't even build the default keymap with it. :)

hey ojrask, what issues are you having when compiling? is doing straight "make pearl:default" not working for you?

for me at least i know I had to update bash for windows (per qmk guide -" If you already have the Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux from the Anniversary update it's recommended that you upgrade it to 16.04LTS, because some keyboards don't compile with the toolchains included in 14.04LTS."). i was having issues compiling the Pearl before that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:17:46 by donut_sauce »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #647 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 13:13:25 »
OMG Kooba puts us all to shame when it comes to group buys!

That packaging! The guide! It's little extra touches like this that are the hallmark of a true professional.

I love this little gem! Can't wait to build it up.

in memoriam

Offline hndle

« Reply #648 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 13:23:36 »
I can't get out of this thread every day to see the built Pearl photo. they are awsome!!
someday i will...
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 13:25:14 by hndle »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #649 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 05:56:15 »

hey ojrask, what issues are you having when compiling? is doing straight "make pearl:default" not working for you?

for me at least i know I had to update bash for windows (per qmk guide -" If you already have the Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux from the Anniversary update it's recommended that you upgrade it to 16.04LTS, because some keyboards don't compile with the toolchains included in 14.04LTS."). i was having issues compiling the Pearl before that.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, so I am worried that I would need to compile some dependencies from source. E.g. my errors look like that libavr is missing the definitions for the Pearl MCU (atmega32A).

But yes, `make pearl:default` is the command that craps out on me with missing defitions that should be loaded from `avr/io.h` or similar. I do have `bootloadHID` up and running so all I would need from QMK is a built HEX file.

EDIT: Ah yes, gcc-avr is too old on 14.04. I will have to compile a newer version or then upgrade to 17.10. This results in the missing definitions when attempting to compile a HEX for Pearl (and other pa2avrGB boards). Found a similar issue at the QMK repo: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/issues/1364
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 08:58:09 by ojrask »
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB: