Author Topic: Could use some input on my "Ergonomic" Design  (Read 5266 times)

Offline domsch1988

Could use some input on my "Ergonomic" Design
« on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 12:45:02 »
It's been long since i've posted here, but my quest for an ergonomic work keyboard has restarted. Since my needs are a bit different from most users, i'm debating building my own. Technical things aside, i'm now working on a Layout. First off, the current state:
Layout

Keep in mind a few things:
- I tried several ortho linear or otherwise "non-standard" keylayout and can't get along with those. So Everything for writing is close to stock.
- I need makro keys. Lots of them in more or less easy to reach places. I use makros and autohotkey for everything. Typing common sentences, switching Programs, Copying, Pasting. Basically every action i do commonly that involves more than one key has a makro assigned. It's how i work.
- I need a numpad. I work as a System administrator, so i type IP's. Lots of them. And spreadsheets for days.
- I need all the F-Keys. Most of out software uses them for functions.

So i took a standard keyboard layout, split in half, and put useable keys around it. I'll be updating the makro keys (Left, Right and above F-Keys) with symbols for their functions later.

Any input on wether it's doable, or if a similar thing already exists would be highly appreciated. Anything that comes to your mind can help me make this better.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Could use some input on my "Ergonomic" Design
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 12:50:00 »
The 1.75 Tab key could be difficult to source, unless you use blank DSA.

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 12:54:21 »
The 1.75 Tab key could be difficult to source, unless you use blank DSA.
Yeah, since tab is one of my most used keys (filling forms and tickets), i'm debating putting it on the right thumb key left of the space bar.
But you're right, i'll most likely have to go blank. Ideally i'd like to use SA Profile Caps, but they are so hard to find here. I've been searching forever for my current cherry board. But i'm not paying 100$ plus for keycaps for a standard keyboard...

Offline wolf

• Ah, yeah, g'day.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 18:37:29 »
That looks like a really good design, given the constraints and requirements you've listed.  It sounds like you've well-analysed how you type, your unique requirements and what works and doesn't work for you.

All the best with it.
Have keyboard, will travel...

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 21:55:27 »
Looks good for your needs. I have wondered how people like the number pad in the center. It seems like you would have to move the keyboard to comfortably use it for extended periods of time.