Author Topic: [IC] PBT R&R Update 5/7 (New Kits & Renders)  (Read 55941 times)

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
Re: [IC] PBT R&R | Update #1: PBT Wins! 3/24
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 23:59:10 »
I’m digging the split theme here. Any consideration for ergo support? Left half pink and right half blue? All blanks of course.

Some of these things have been considered already, a future update is coming.

Update #1: PBT is the winner! 3/24

So the voting has ended in a landslide in favor of PBT! The PBT manu for this set will be a new one and not ePBT. The goal of this place will be to eliminate warping and possible legend issues. I will be updating the kits a bit to reflect the change to PBT.

Also, I have seen the expressed interest to be KAT instead of cherry PBT. I'm pretty sure this will stay cherry PBT but it's not impossible this could be KAT, but with how many KAT sets are waiting to deliver still I would prefer to keep it cherry!

rensuya how would you see the possible use of KAM? This set with this profile might be interesting as there are few KAM sets
I'm pretty set on keeping this PBT cherry but if I was to do anything else it would be KAT over KAM as I don't like flat or "uniform" profiles.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
Re: [IC] PBT R&R
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 01:14:31 »
Will you offer the R1 6 in both pink and blue? I was thinking about putting this set onto an ortho linear layout (Preonic / ID75). In those layouts, 6 usually sits on top of Y. Without the 6 in blue, it wouldn’t be possible to keep the color split even.

Thanks for the consideration :)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 00:38:38 »
*waiting patiently for dat R&R

.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Rensuya

• Link to the discord!
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 12:22:35 »
Have you consider using those updated hiragana alphas from GMK striker or Frost Witch?
Sorry did not see this till now, I had not considered using them but would be open to it if people prefer it!

*waiting patiently for dat R&R

Show Image

That will look pretty awesome on that setup! An update for the set is coming soon.

Offline Rensuya

• Link to the discord!
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:21:25 »
UPDATE 5/5/20: Added Deskmats!

-Updated kits coming soon!

Offline bakuretsu

Re: [IC] PBT R&R Update 5/5 (Deskmats added)
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 14:42:14 »
Those deskmats are adorable. I sort of wish there was an option to have blue and pink on the same mat (maybe blue background with pink hearts like the banner, or white background with a mix of blue and pink hearts), but that would probably be too many variations. Out of these two though, I'm gonna have to get blue for Rem.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2020, 16:19:56 by bakuretsu »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 15:28:19 »
LOVE

Offline Rensuya

• Link to the discord!
Re: [IC] PBT R&R Update 5/7 (New Kits & Renders)
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:47:25 »
UPDATE 5/7/20: New kits & Renders are here!

I have added a "Blues" & "Pinks" kits to allow the user to mix and match the set however you would prefer it. If you want a full pink set for Ram or a full blue for Rem then you can have it! The base kit will still offer the standard split setup which I think is amazing and gives this set a unique twist on how sets are normally  :D

All new renders and kits are in the main post on page 1, stay safe everyone!

Btw here is the NEW Google form

Offline elguey

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 14:49:40 »
Rem is best girl but the full pink set looks so damn good.

This has been mentioned already but I am assuming that having the square/curly bracket keys with べ and ぺ instead of  ゛and ゜is an error, right? Also, the む is rotated in the Eliza Ram render.

Offline belerian

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 21:07:33 »
Are the latin alphas gone?

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 21:25:40 »
Are the latin alphas gone?

Pls no, I dislike having moon runes on my keycaps, just looks cluttered in most regards.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 00:08:02 »
Show Image

I believe the second R4 Ctrl is going to need to be changed to Alt in order to support Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows correctly.

Also, not sure if this is intended, but the arrow keys seem to be using top-left aligned icons, while the rest of the icon mods are vertically centered.

This post makes some good points about the hiragana sublegends used on the ISO keys in GMK Sumi, as well as this one for GMK Oni, and I think they're applicable here as well. The following changes would make the set more accommodating for both JIS and regular ISO users, as well as making the hiragana coverage more “accurate” (in terms of correspondence to actual kana layouts), by reducing legend duplication and using the appropriate rows for the sublegends.
  • R1 \| → R1 \|
  • R3 #~  → R3 \|
  • R4 \| → R4 <>
Reasoning: ANSI users get all of the usual keys. ISO users get \| and <>, avoiding duplicate legends. Finally, JIS users get all of the correct hiragana legends on the correct rows (R4 ろ, R3 む, R1 ー). All in all, you get some benefits and no drawbacks.

The following sublegends should also be changed:
  • R2 [{ → R2 [{ or [{ ゙⬚
  • R2 ]} → R2 ]} or [{ ゚⬚
Reasoning: These sublegends are supposed to represent the (han)dakuten combining diacritics, which can be applied to several different kana, but the current legend shows them applied only to the specific kana へ, which doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 00:14:11 by konstantin »

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 01:26:26 »
This post makes some good points about the hiragana sublegends used on the ISO keys in GMK Sumi, as well as this one for GMK Oni, and I think they're applicable here as well. The following changes would make the set more accommodating for both JIS and regular ISO users, as well as making the hiragana coverage more “accurate” (in terms of correspondence to actual kana layouts), by reducing legend duplication and using the appropriate rows for the sublegends.

Thanks konstantin, for bringing up this issue and for linking to my previous comments.  I should note that both of those comments were in response to designs featuring kana monolegends, where I believe I have found a reasonable compromise that suits JIS, ISO, and ANSI users alike; that is, as you mention, the replacement of R1 [ろ] or [む] with [ー], inclusion of R3 1U [む] as is already fairly standard for ISO, and replacement of R4 [む] with [ろ].  I feel on pretty solid ground recommending these changes to anyone who is considering kana monolegends for their set.

sublegends are more complicated, because the punctuation options are so many and varied. The /dev/tty set on Drop at the moment has an incredibly full-featured "Japan Set" that, in combination with the base set, allows someone to create a fully compliant ANSI, UK, or JIS layout, complete with correct punctuation characters and Japanese modifier keys!  But this requires adding a large number of extra keys.

For this reason, I've generally refrained from commenting on kana sublegend designs so far, however, looking at your suggestions:

• R1 \| → R1 \|
  • R3 #~  → R3 \|
  • R4 \| → R4 <>
Reasoning: ANSI users get all of the usual keys. ISO users get \| and <>, avoiding duplicate legends. Finally, JIS users get all of the correct hiragana legends on the correct rows (R4 ろ, R3 む, R1 ー). All in all, you get some benefits and no drawbacks.

• R2 [{ → R2 [{ or [{ ゙⬚
  • R2 ]} → R2 ]} or [{ ゚⬚
Reasoning: These sublegends are supposed to represent the (han)dakuten combining diacritics, which can be applied to several different kana, but the current legend shows them applied only to the specific kana へ, which doesn't make sense.

I think I agree with everything you've said.  I wasn't sure about your recommendation to use \| on the R3 む key and <> on the R4 ろ since none of the layouts that I'm familiar with (UK, Japan, USA) feature this exact combination, but following the reasoning in your link I can see why it makes sense and avoids duplication.

In summary: I agree with konstantin regarding the movement of the kana keys and would like to lend my voice to that suggestion.  When it comes to the punctuation that goes along with those keys, I don't feel as strongly (I'd be happy enough with #~ on the R3 む and \| on the R4 ろ, for example, possibly with ¥| on the R1 ー if you really want to be true to the Japanese and avoid duplication!), but I do think he raises some interesting points that are worthy of consideration. This page, linked to in the thread konstantin linked to, goes into a lot more detail about choices of symbol keys, and I would definitely like to take the time to read through it properly before deciding which side of that fence I sit on.

EDIT: Spelling/grammar; s/thread/comment/
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:48:21 by kidviddy »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 01:50:37 »
For this reason, I've generally refrained from commenting on kana sublegend designs so far, however, looking at your suggestions:

• R1 \| → R1 \|
  • R3 #~  → R3 \|
  • R4 \| → R4 <>

• R2 [{ → R2 [{ or [{ ゙⬚
  • R2 ]} → R2 ]} or [{ ゚⬚

I think I agree with everything you've said.  I wasn't sure about you're recommendation to use \| on the R3 む key and <> on the R4 ろ since none of the layouts that I'm familiar with (UK, Japan, USA) feature this exact combination, but following the reasoning in your link I can see why it makes sense and avoids duplication.

In summary: I agree with konstantin regarding the movement of the kana keys and would like to lend my voice to that suggestion.  When it comes to the punctuation that goes along with those keys, I don't feel as strongly (I'd be happy enough with #~ on the R3 む and \| on the R4 ろ, for example, possibly with ¥| on the R1 ー if you really want to be true to the Japanese and avoid duplication!), but I do think he raises some interesting points that are worthy of consideration. This page, linked to in the thread konstantin linked to, goes into a lot more detail about choices of symbol keys, and I would definitely like to take the time to read through it properly before deciding which side of that fence I sit on.

Thanks for your thoughtful input on my suggestions. In that case, I will propose an alternative solution for the punctuation and leave it up to the designer to make an informed decision about what would work best for their set, based on everything that's been put forward so far.

The alternative to the above R1, R3, R4 changes would be:
  • R1 \| → R1 \|
  • R3 #~  → R3 #~
This approach favors the UK-oriented #~, \| configuration over the more general \|, <>.

Offline LazyAfternoons

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 04:00:18 »
Count me in.

Offline SLPNick

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 10:25:00 »
Show Image

Will this Eng only version be available?

Offline Rensuya

• Link to the discord!
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 12:40:34 »
Show Image

Will this Eng only version be available?
It will most likely only be hiragana subs for this set. If I added the Latin kit back I would either have to offer full Latin for both halves or much bigger Latin kit.

Offline jiggyboybrian

• Darling!
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 03:30:28 »
Cant wait for this set especially with season two coming soon!

Offline DireRaven247

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 23:24:36 »
Any update on when this set will run?

Offline tsumicchi

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 09:11:08 »
Those deskmats are adorable. I sort of wish there was an option to have blue and pink on the same mat (maybe blue background with pink hearts like the banner, or white background with a mix of blue and pink hearts), but that would probably be too many variations. Out of these two though, I'm gonna have to get blue for Rem.

I second this! Considering the whole theme of the set is their complimentary halves, it only makes sense to have a deskmat with the colors of both girls. I think the white bg with pink and blue hearts would look lovely!

I'm excitedly looking forward to this set, I think it's a wonderful idea.

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 23:34:39 »
Really liking the set, is this project still a go?

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 11:18:09 »
Nice job on the novelties Ren! Looks great
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline engyshow

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 04:09:49 »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE IT

Offline mellowcake

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 09:23:10 »
interested!

Offline retrorecall

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 22:46:43 »
Looks great curious how this would look on an alice keyboard?

Offline Riceshakes

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 23:45:28 »
Is this set still happening?

Offline caz1e

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 13:22:38 »
Is this set still happening?
yep, creator mentioned on his discord that this set is next to go into group buy

Offline phantomvoltage

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 19:37:17 »
Will you offer the R1 6 in both pink and blue? I was thinking about putting this set onto an ortho linear layout (Preonic / ID75). In those layouts, 6 usually sits on top of Y. Without the 6 in blue, it wouldn’t be possible to keep the color split even.

Thanks for the consideration :)

Yeah I'd like to second this. Thinking this would look great on my Lumberjack PCB, which is a split ortho layout. So would prefer an optional 6 key in blue in addition to an ortho kit  ;D