Author Topic: Keyboards in Canada  (Read 7471 times)

Offline `Divine

Keyboards in Canada
« on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 08:20:43 »
Alright guys and gals, I've finally had enough of my $5 keyboard and decided to look into acquiring a new one, primarily for fighting games/FPS & casual typing.  From what I've gathered lurking around Filico Cherry browns are my best bet, but at over $120 +$50, the price is a bit to steep.  

I've also considered the SteelSeries 6Gv2, but with black switches, my main concern is the wrist strain with prolonged use and inefficiency when it comes to typing.  It's also been suggested I stay away from the Razer Blackwidow due to horrid quality, can anyone comment on this?

So essentially I'm looking for a decent, gaming keyboard with roll-over, suited for typing, under $100 and ships to Canada (Toronto) without a $50 addition.  No need for fancy black lights, displays or macro keys, just great response time.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 October 2010, 08:30:20 by `Divine »

Offline hailey

Offline `Divine

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 14:58:12 »
Quote from: ripster;240479
Call up Metadot and get the Das Keyboard Student Discount (about $100 total) and see  if they'll ship to Canada.

Hmm I've read about it, but unfortunately I'm not currently a student.  Also which model would you recommend?  

I haven't seen much of Rosewell's Cherry Mx, but aren't brown switches generally recommended for gaming?

Offline Uninstall

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 00:52:54 »
Quote from: ripster;240553
And Newegg has a shipping policy that Sarah Palin approves of.

They've been Anti-Canadian for a looooong time.

That is actually Newegg's Canadian site. I just bought one of those this morning and it is probably the cheapest Cherry MX Blue you can find in Canada at the moment.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 08:19:43 »
Welcome to GeekHack Uninstall! What did you buy - a Das or a Rosewill? In either case, post pics when you get it!

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 09:48:00 »
Quote from: hailey;240540
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

The price is not too bad for this keyboard. However, I don't know anything about it. Maybe check the review from someone before buying?

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 09:53:26 »
Quote from: ripster;240479
Call up Metadot and get the Das Keyboard Student Discount (about $100 total) and see  if they'll ship to Canada.

No, they don't ship internationally. Das is available from ncix.com or directcanada.com. However, there's still the risk of experiencing what I did. One of the keys was not behaving the same as the other keys, yet they could not see it. You have to ship the keyboard back so that they can test that the problem really exist.  If you the OP live in a city close to one of the ncix stores, then there's always the option of testing the keyboard before paying.  

That said, Metadot did the right thing after I contacted them. They shipped one to me for free to make up for the bad experience I had with one of their resellers.

Quote from: ripster;240559
Damn, that Canadian exchange rate is a KILLER!

Tekgear pricing is much higher than ncix.com or directcanada.com. I don't know if their customer service is better though.

Quote from: ripster;240706
Ooops!  Let's hear it for Newegg.  Added that one to the wiki.

Any other Canadian stores people recommend? (not Canadian Tire).

I don't know of may stores in Canada which sell mechanical keyboards besides the ones mentioned above.  Maybe I should open a store.

Offline Ekaros

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 10:58:02 »
Quote from: ripster;240556
Also, fellow Geekhackers, I have been slowly filling in the International Portion of the Mechanical Keyboard buying guide so any retailers you recommend post in the discussion area there.

Hmm, I would suggest separating EU in own sub-Category, purely for tax and toll reasons. You don't have to pay tax or tolls inside EU.

For finland, apart from some Steelseries and Razers. Verkkokauppa.com sells Topres...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Ekaros

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 11:15:07 »
Quote from: ripster;240741
Since I'm not including tax or tolls I'll leave it by Country.

Thanks for the Finland link.

Point is for EU it's one market area(meanin you don't have to pay import tax(namely VAT which I must from outside)) and generaly shipping cost are bit lower compared to out side EU.

Onces if there is more than UK and Germany it would make sense to group them at one list, as it is preferable for some inside EU to order from inside EU. For now there isn't too many countries on list...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Uninstall

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 11:53:16 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;240704
Welcome to GeekHack Uninstall! What did you buy - a Das or a Rosewill? In either case, post pics when you get it!

Thanks, I actually bought the Rosewill because it is cheaper and comes to about $105 including 13% tax and shipping to Ontario. I originally wanted to wait for the Razer mechanical to come out first, but the huge thread here kept on revealing more issues with it. I've been using a Keytronic I found at school with colored control and alt keys and it is by far the best desktop keyboard I've used so I decided to spend some money on a real mechanical keyboard after using it for an year.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 October 2010, 17:30:35 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack

I don't know of may stores in Canada which sell mechanical keyboards besides the ones mentioned above.  Maybe I should open a store.

I really like the way you think Patrick =)

Offline Ekaros

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 01:10:59 »
I have been thinking how expensive would it be to order bunch of keyboards from Cherry with spesific layout and can I get different switches combined... ;D Propably wouldn't make my money back...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline RickyJ

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 01:37:53 »
directcanada.com is NCIX's no frills outlet, but is good for price matching.  Like Chief Value is to Newegg.  Newegg worked out a rape-free deal with UPS for shipping to Canada, so it's worth looking at Newegg.  Newegg's Canadian site doesn't have as much stuff as the 'Murrican site, but it's pretty decent.

For some reason NCIX sold out of Das and Steelseries mech keyboards a few weeks ago and hasn't yet restocked.  Rosewill with Cherry blues would be cheaper shipped to my door than the pre-tax/shipping Das.  Need more choices!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 16:00:45 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;240863
I really like the way you think Patrick =)

If time and finance were not a problem, I would have probably done it. Unlike some of the big stores, I know what it's like to be a keyboard enthusiast.

I was once in store which had an IBM Model M, but quite dirty. I asked the salesperson if I could buy it. He said not, but also had a "Why would you want to buy this keyboard?" look on his face.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 16:05:16 »
Quote from: RickyJ;240995
directcanada.com is NCIX's no frills outlet, but is good for price matching.  Like Chief Value is to Newegg.  Newegg worked out a rape-free deal with UPS for shipping to Canada, so it's worth looking at Newegg.  Newegg's Canadian site doesn't have as much stuff as the 'Murrican site, but it's pretty decent.

For some reason NCIX sold out of Das and Steelseries mech keyboards a few weeks ago and hasn't yet restocked.  Rosewill with Cherry blues would be cheaper shipped to my door than the pre-tax/shipping Das.  Need more choices!

It's true that Newegg shipping cost already includes custom broker fee. Usually UPS charge a very high price for their custom broker fee.

I will have to think twice before buying another keyboard from NICX/DirectCanada again because of my previous experience. And for other things for that matter. They once sent me a defective product and asked me to pay to ship it back. I did not pay much attention until I already shipped it back. This was DOA. Oh well, live and learn. In any case, since the introducion of Harmonized Sales Tax, NCIX/Direct Canada pricing is not that great compared to Ontario stores.

Offline RickyJ

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 18:33:59 »
NCIX/DirectCanada just dropped Metadot.  No more Das listed anywhere on either site.  All they have left is Steelseries Cherry black boards listed, but no stock. :(

Newegg.ca seems to be out of the Rosewill too, though Newegg.com says it's in stock.  Not sure if the Canadian site's stock is an error, hopefully it is.  I want Cherry blues!

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 18:38:42 »
Quote from: RickyJ;241346
Newegg.ca seems to be out of the Rosewill too, though Newegg.com says it's in stock.  Not sure if the Canadian site's stock is an error, hopefully it is.  I want Cherry blues!

Newegg.ca may only utilize one Newegg warehouse.

Chiefvalue (Newegg owned, the EV SSL cert is even under "Newegg, Inc") only uses stock from La Puente, CA. Newegg uses La Puente, CA, somewhere in TN, and Edison, NJ.

Chiefvalue is out of stock right now for the RK-9000. Newegg.com (US, not .ca) has it.

EDIT: Nope, apparently you guys have an Ontario warehouse.

« Last Edit: Mon, 01 November 2010, 18:44:03 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 18:40:19 »
Quote from: RickyJ;241346
NCIX/DirectCanada just dropped Metadot.  No more Das listed anywhere on either site.  All they have left is Steelseries Cherry black boards listed, but no stock. :(

That's too bad for those looking to get a Das. I was lucky to have gotten one while they still had them. I'm currently using my newly arrived Das (today) and loving it so far.

Can the Das be bought from a US store though?

As for NewEgg being out of stock, may be give them a call?

I should drive South of the border, get some Das, and bring them to Canada.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 19:04:00 »
NCIX site says that it is back ordered, but directcanada.com says not available. Maybe just wait and see?

Offline RickyJ

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 19:07:27 »
The only one that has stock and will ship to Canada is Performance-PCs.  Das's own store won't ship to Canada.  Only real store in the states that lists it is in New York City, quite the drive from Ontario.

Not so sure I'd want a glossy keyboard case tho, would really show my cat's hair well, lol.

Offline RickyJ

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 19:10:15 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;241361
NCIX site says that it is back ordered, but directcanada.com says not available. Maybe just wait and see?

I checked their site when I posted, and looking at it now.  It was showing as backordered last week, now it's just not listed.  Searching for it on their site you can still bring up the product pages, but it says they're not available.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 19:43:36 »
Quote from: RickyJ;241365
I checked their site when I posted, and looking at it now.  It was showing as backordered last week, now it's just not listed.  Searching for it on their site you can still bring up the product pages, but it says they're not available.

You're right. Maybe my computer was using a cached version of the page. Give them a call?

Offline manoy385

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 23:19:25 »
You can get the Razer BlackWidow for $82 from amazon.ca with free shipping if you don't mind Razer's keyboard quality.

Offline RickyJ

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 00:01:09 »
Meh, that's just pre-order.  When it's released any Razer distributor like NCIX/Newegg/etc will stock it.

Offline AvroArrow

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 01:21:10 »
Quote from: `Divine;240445
Alright guys and gals, I've finally had enough of my $5 keyboard and decided to look into acquiring a new one, primarily for fighting games/FPS & casual typing.  From what I've gathered lurking around Filico Cherry browns are my best bet, but at over $120 +$50, the price is a bit to steep.  

Where are you getting the $50 shipping from?  When I ordered from Elitekeyboards back in February shipping to Vancouver, BC was $29 for 1 keyboard.  A friend and I ordered together to split shipping costs and it was $33 S&H for 3 keyboards (2x 87-key blue, 1x 104-key brown) + 2 numpads + 2 sets WASD keys.  He also shipped it via USPS Priority Mail Int'l so I only got dinged the $5 Canada Post collection fee + GST + PST (now HST).  No duty and no UPS Standard/FedEx Ground rape me now/later brokerage fees.  It was also probably the nicest packaged shipment I have ever received via mail.  

I also didn't have much choice (read: no choice) in ordering since nobody else carried the 87-key Filcos and ships to Canada.  There were several threads on the NCIX forums requesting that they carry the Filcos (and 1 about Unicomp) but nothing ever materialized.  My friend and I got tired of waiting and ordered from EK back when the exchange was crappier (1.07 CAN to 1.00 USD) than it is now.  

I just checked the newegg link for the Rosewill RK-9000 and it's currently $99.99+12.24 S&H.  An equivalent Filco 104-key from EK would run you ~$56 more (incl. S&H & CanPost fee but excl. HST).  So if you are looking for a 104-key blue, you are better off with newegg.ca when they re-stock.  If you want a 104-key brown (Das Pro S Silent or Filco) or 87-key blue/brown then EK is about your only choice since the Das S Silent is no longer available from NCIX.  And after having used the 87-key Filco w/blue for the past 8 months, I don't think I will ever go back to a 104-key keyboard if I have a choice.  I also found the brown cherries not quite tactile enough for me, but YMMV since it's more of a personal preference kind of thing.

I also think that the lack of choices for us Canadians is partly due to the fact we are not a large enough market for such niche products.  I mean, what regular consumer would pay $100+ for a keyboard that is non-gaming hyped/marketed nor super-ergonomic RSI-reducing?  :P

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 09:42:52 »
Quote from: AvroArrow;241434

I also think that the lack of choices for us Canadians is partly due to the fact we are not a large enough market for such niche products.  I mean, what regular consumer would pay $100+ for a keyboard that is non-gaming hyped/marketed nor super-ergonomic RSI-reducing?  :P

I  think there there’s a cultural element in there as well. Canadians being more cautious in general, will likely be doubting the amount of sales they can get when it comes to mechanical keyboards.

There quite a few Canadian keyboards enthusiasts, but not enough supply. If no one is supplying the products in Canada, then no one will buy it in Canada, but it from somewhere else. Perception of sellers: there is not enough demand.

Offline MyNameIsDan

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 02 November 2010, 10:14:01 »
Quote from: manoy385;241422
You can get the Razer BlackWidow for $82 from amazon.ca with free shipping if you don't mind Razer's keyboard quality.

The blackwidow build quality is surprisingly good from what i've been told.
Current Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 104 Browns (FKBN104M/EB)

Current Mice: Steelseries Xai (1400cc//800cc) on Steelseries 9HD.

Anyone want to donate me a keycap remover? <3

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboards in Canada
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 13:52:09 »
NCIX and DirectCanada.com show that the models equipped with blue Cherries are in stock.