Author Topic: Unscientific Test - Buckling Spring vs MX Green  (Read 2321 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Unscientific Test - Buckling Spring vs MX Green
« on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 08:59:22 »
So I am sitting in my office, playing with an MX Green switch I brought in from home (to show a co-worker) and of course I have my buckling spring keyboard in front of me - when I get the idea to press them against each other to see which is stronger.

I always assumed the MX Green had the stronger spring - since it feels that way by itself.

However, I find that when I press the two together (using the Cherry switch upside down, pressing its stem to a BS keycap) it is always the MX Green switch that actuates first - well before the BS switch does.  Additionally after both have clicked, when I slowly release the pressure between the two switches, it is always the BS switch the resets first, and then MX Green after.

Doesn't seem to matter where on the BS cap that I press, or which key that I use (and this is on a daily driver BS board that I have had for over a year).

I realize this is only one data point - as the key travel distance and other variables are present // but just wanted to share.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: Unscientific Test - Buckling Spring vs MX Green
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 09:07:56 »
This is just your BS board flexing it's muscles during a contest of strength with a cherry board. Of course he was going to win!

IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:22:46 »
Ha!

I guess the short version was I expected the MX Green to have the stronger spring.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:30:59 »
I think it's at least partially due to the very low actuation and somewhat low reset point of BS contrasted to the cherry.

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:37:09 »
Ha!

I guess the short version was I expected the MX Green to have the stronger spring.

It depends on the BS board.  I've had multiple 1390120's that felt as light to type on as MX Blues.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:57:15 »
Ha!

It depends on the BS board.  I've had multiple 1390120's that felt as light to type on as MX Blues.

My bolt modded 1390120 does feel a bit lighter, but testes with test masses (currency, etc.) shows that they are still roughly similar to the expected force. If you have typed on a model F you may notice that it feels lighter. This is not actually the case. At buckling point (actuation) the model F requires a very similar amount of force as the M.

Of the 15 or so Model m's I've looked at, they are all about the same force.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 11:22:15 »
IBM master race.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 01:12:22 »
OP's assessment upholds my feeling (this is typed on MX greens, but my BS keyboards are at home).

I've always felt that my Model Ms are heavier than this MX greens (QFS, for the record).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline qihqi

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:53:39 »
Does it matter that the green switch is upside down? I am asking because green switch as a free moving part with the stem and it should fall easily once it go beyond actuation point. If upside down it it makes it harder to slide up as the gravity is not helping anymore.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:56:40 »
Does it matter that the green switch is upside down? I am asking because green switch as a free moving part with the stem and it should fall easily once it go beyond actuation point. If upside down it it makes it harder to slide up as the gravity is not helping anymore.

gravity is only pulling or pushing against the mass of the slider, which is pretty negligible I think.

Offline qihqi

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:57:31 »
Also, when typing frequently we feel the work that is being done by our fingers, or the potential energy the spring gains. Recall E = 1/2 * k * d ^ 2. Where k is the some constant that comes with the spring, and d is the travelled distance. So shorter travel distance could have a big impact on the feel. (That formula only applies to springs that is compressed like in Cherry case, when it is bended the formula could be different).