Author Topic: How much was your 1st Mech Board?  (Read 15355 times)

Offline Kinso

Re: How much was your 1st Mech Board?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 01:11:40 »
Portico 65 + back case so it was about 150$ for the board then on top of that I got keycaps and switches (tangerines and infinikey port so it was about 300$)
for just the keyboard at least

Offline seokjin

• smooth like butter
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 15:05:37 »
I honestly can't remember my *very* first one but the first one I remember was my Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 for around £120. I bought it with my first paycheck and I still have it and love it to this day but ever since discovering custom mechs, it hasn't been used for a while!

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 15:16:04 »
First one I bought for myself was $80, a MX-Blue CM Quickfire TK (I still have it in storage).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 03:43:19 »
I had a Cherry MX 2.0-  It was $99 I believe.  I loved the keycaps.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 17:34:58 »
this much:
270920-0

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 18:04:23 »
My very first mech was an IBM Model M I got off eBay in about 2008 for about $75. Good thing it was sturdy because I was just getting into a serious heroin habit and I tended to be hard on my belongings back then.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 20:30:40 »
this much:
(Attachment Link)

Ooohhh yellow keys!  Very nice :)

I tried to buy one of tyhose over here, ordered it, waited a few months, then they said they could not fulfil the order and refunded my money.

Eventually I tracked down a set of the keycaps here - still got them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 19:20:01 »
I had random assortments of old computers and peripherals I would tinker with for years before I ever knew what a mechanical keyboard was. I imagine some of those old boards may have been mechanical, but I have no idea. Those, along with the computers they were meant for were usually free.

The first I know of is my first Corsair K70, with MX reds. I think it was on sale for $100 or so within about a year of that model's initial release. It still resides on my desk, although it doesn't see much typing lately outside of gaming when I have 2-3 random other rotation keyboards plugged in at any given time.

First one ever - no idea, it was too long ago, I didn't take any specific notice of the keyboard, and they were generally supplied as standard back then.

First one I remember - NEC APC-H4100E that I got with an NEC APC 4 PowerMate 4C '286 computer (no, the NEC APC-H4100E that I have now is not the same one).

First modern mechanical keyboard - Ducky Shine 1, red LEDs, Cherry MX blue switches - $172.

Hard to beat NEC blue ovals for a first mechanical switch.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 20:07:37 »
Hard to beat NEC blue ovals for a first mechanical switch.

Wasn't my first, but it was my favourite for a long time.

I managed to find another such keyboard recently (well, not so recently now), repaired it, and it still gets rotated in every now and again.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline yui

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 02:38:38 »
depending on how you count,
1st overall was a trash picked dead 3rd gen Fujistu leaf spring board that i had no idea what it was back then.
1st working one was a 120 euros Unicomp PC122.
1st MX style was a cheap chinese TKL kit with MX brown and pudding caps for a total of around 80 USD.
one of my regret is to have not keept that 1st board, nowadays i could have fixed it...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 03:23:07 »
Mine was Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid TKL with MX Blacks, it was around £50.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 20:05:47 »
First MK was the Celeritas II for $30, a nice prebuilt I didn't even understand was Mech, just got it since it was the only one with backlighting.