Author Topic: Could I get a recommendation for a programmable TKL  (Read 2857 times)

Offline -----------8<------------

Could I get a recommendation for a programmable TKL
« on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 16:37:47 »
TLDR:  Need a high quality TKL keyboard that can remap keys in hardware

I have two Brown Cherry Filco Majestouch's, have had them for years and love them, originally recommended to me here.  :thumb:

Trouble is I'm currently finding myself running quite a few key remapping programs in software and so am thinking maybe this could be shifted to the hardware?

I use a Colemak layout so there's a key remap layer I've imported into Windows.

And I've been playing quite a bit of Starcraft 2 using the Core Plus layout, this layout rotates the right side shift => alt => control buttons to allow quick keypresses for various actions.

So in software I'm currently:
  • Remapping Qwerty => Colemak
  • Sharpkeys to remap the right ctrl/shift/alt
  • Autohotkey to undo the sharpkeys remap for non-gaming use

Since I'm using a Filco I wouldn't really want to downgrade on quality for this, I mean the software remaps aren't *that* bad.

So criteria is :
  • An on par, or an upgrade from a Filco
  • The ability to reprogram how keys are mapped
  • Ideally TKL
  • Must have the right hand shift above the alt and control buttons, this is for the SC2 Core maps.  I think this rules out the HHKB, tho maybe being a programmable keyboard means this requirement is irrelevant and can be ignored since you'd just remap around it?

I've seen mention of the Vortex Poker 3, this even seems to have a built in Colemak, which is pretty mind blowing for me, I thought no-one but me used this!

Poker is feasible but it isn't a TKL and I suspect it may actually be a downgrade from the Filco.

Any thoughts or options?
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2018, 16:43:53 by -----------8<------------ »

Offline Tactile

Re: Could I get a recommendation for a programmable TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 18:05:38 »
Maybe the USB to USB converter from Hasu would work for you. Then you can choose whatever board you want.

REΛLFORCE

Offline Delirious

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 18:44:51 »
For OEM boards, you cant really upgrade much when starting out with filco. Filco boards are the gold standard around these parts. Also your filco is reprogrammable if you bought the right version. Look up pegasus hoof controller.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_replacement_controllers#The_Pegasus_Hoof

Different controller for a different oem board but the idea is the same, how to replace your filco's daughterboard

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 04:38:52 »
Cheers, these both look great solutions, I did not know these things existed.

Leaning towards the Pegasus Hoof, simple hardware mod and then it's all right there in the keyboard.

Looks like you buy from here : http://www.bathroomepiphanies.com/controllers/

I cannot see an UK resellers so it's the above shop only, presumably it's this guy's design.

Hopefully they are still available, I'll send them a mail see what they say.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 November 2018, 04:41:19 by -----------8<------------ »

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 15:46:09 »
Well I've tried contacting the bathroom ephiphanies guy a couple of times on the email on his page, also found a github link leading to an alt email and tried that but getting no replies at all. :(

I presume these awesome controller board replacements are no longer available?  Unless anyone has any ideas of another supplier, but I think there are this guy's own design so it's unlikely?
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2018, 15:47:49 by -----------8<------------ »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 16:09:32 »
You should be able to contact in the thread or PM him.
REΛLFORCE