Author Topic: [IC] Navi60 - GB LIVE 10/9 - 11/8 - #lainttl  (Read 33526 times)

Offline psychetype

[IC] Navi60 - GB LIVE 10/9 - 11/8 - #lainttl
« on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 15:21:28 »
GB link here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121521.0

Navi60

Hi everyone,
We are psychetype and we would like to introduce our first project, the Navi60.

The Navi60 is a 60% top mount/o-ring mount with a full CNC aluminum case and brass weight.

This project is a part of the #lainttl  (time to live) program. We aim to provide a high quality keyboard for both keyboard and Lain enthusiasts. https://www.nbcuni.co.jp/rondorobe/anime/lain/ttl/

Design:

Its design is inspired by Abe’s original design of Lain’s personal Navi computer/keyboard. The kit comes with a two-piece case with a brass weight that is engraved with the Copland OS logo.

Navi60 Specifications
(Case + PCB designed by Neil from DeskDaily)
  • 7° typing angle
  • Effective Keyboard Height (EKH) = 22.94mm
  • Case weight (including Brass weight) = 914g
  • Case material: 6063 Aluminum w/ Brass Weight
  • Brass weight sandblasted + anti-fingerprint/anti-tarnish coating (prototype only had anti-tarnish)
  • Hardware Materials: 18-8 Stainless Steel (case screws/daughterboard screws)
  • Mounting support: Top mount/O-ring mount
  • Plate Material: FR4, Aluminum, POM
  • PCB Specifications:

Case color options:

• Red Anode
  • Green Anode
  • Silver Anode
  • Black Anode
  • E-Beige
PCB options:
  • ANSI hotswap
  • ISO hotswap
  • Solder (includes 3u +1u +3u split space support and JIS support)
Layout options:

JIS Support (only solder)

What's Included:
  • Two-Piece CNC Aluminum case w/ Brass weight
  • PCB
  • Plate
  • Unified Daughterboard w/ JST Cable
  • Plate foam
  • USB-C cable
  • O-ring from Graveshift (O-ring pictured is 65A but may change stiffness)
  • Keycap/Switch puller
  • 3M Rubber feet + Screws
  • 2mm hex key + 1.5mm hex key
  • Durock v2 stabilizers (smokey black kit with 2 additional 3u wires)
  • psychetype pin
  • psychetype sticker pack (art from Orange of OranArt Studio)

*Case foam is no longer included, slightly too thick to fit in case*

Box art by mitiminami777

Pricing:
Base price with FR4 plate = 210 USD
+8 USD for POM plate (12 USD if add-on)
+20 USD for Alu plate (24 USD if add-on)
+15 USD for E-Beige
+28 USD for extra Solder PCB (Add-on)
+32 USD for extra Hotswap PCB (Add-on)

Vendor List:
  • UK: Proto[Typist]
  • CA: Ashkeebs Design
  • JP: Basekeys
  • US: KeebsForAll
  • EU: KEYGEM
  • OCE: ALL CAPS
  • Asia: PantheonKeys
  • VN: The Keebs Store
  • PH: DeskDaily (Designer)
GB Time:
October 9th

Reviews:
  • Alexotos (Sep 1st)
Watch stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1914696862

Socials
*Updates will be posted here*
Discord
Twitter
Instagram

IC Form

IC
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2023, 12:53:28 by psychetype »

Offline Horu

Nice board, will get one.

Glwic!

Offline suishibe

really nice board, and good pricing. glwic!

Offline giuliano.cz

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!
Really interested in this project, even though I don't like o-ring mounted keyboards oh it's top mount too, looks like my wallet is doomed.
Amazing price and complete kit, waiting for the GB! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2023, 08:03:08 by giuliano.cz »

Offline psychetype

Thank you everyone, we really appreciate the kind words. Also, seems like people are not really liking green and blue. I see that silver and beige are really popular choices in the form, so we can swap green/blue for silver/beige. However, keep in mind that beige will be e-coated and will have to be 15 USD more. We'll wait a couple of days to confirm before we update the renders.

Offline RandoSis

• Events after my death are not canon
Oh damn, is that layout final? Dunno if I’d get this without a split space option, even if only in the solder PCB. Sad to hear about the Green being so low too cuz I think it’s my fave out of the existing colors lol

Offline psychetype

Oh damn, is that layout final? Dunno if I’d get this without a split space option, even if only in the solder PCB. Sad to hear about the Green being so low too cuz I think it’s my fave out of the existing colors lol

Let me ask to see if split space support can be added to the solder, I'll let you know if our designer is able to add. Also, green was my favorite as well  :-[ However, it seems more people are wanting green so we might keep it. I think blue will be the color that will be replaced.

Offline psychetype

Let me ask to see if split space support can be added to the solder, I'll let you know if our designer is able to add. Also, green was my favorite as well  :-[ However, it seems more people are wanting green so we might keep it. I think blue will be the color that will be replaced.

For people who want split space, 3u+1u+3u or 2.75u+1.25u+2.25u?

Offline giuliano.cz

Not all sets / spacebar child kits have double 3u, so I'd say 2.75u + 1.25u + 2.25u.

Really hyped for this board :D

Offline psychetype

Not all sets / spacebar child kits have double 3u, so I'd say 2.75u + 1.25u + 2.25u.

Hey giuliano! That's a great point, then we'll try 2.75u+1.25u+2.25u and I'll update the layout once it's confirmed. Thank you for your suggestion!! We have more cool promo coming up soon, excited for you guys to see  :-X :-X

Offline RandoSis

Re: [IC] Navi60 - "Serial Experiments Lain" themed 60% Keyboard - #lainttl
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 14:49:34 »

There’s been a lot more offering double 3u lately thankfully. That said there’s definitely more variety for 2.75-1.25-2.25. Luckily I’m good with either even if I prefer the look of 3-1-3.

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 15:26:05 »
EDIT: I see after further inspection that the screws do appear slightly recessed which is great.

Love this, only thing I want to know/improve is if the screws on the bottom are recessed or flat against the case, would prefer recessed to avoid over tightening screws just to make sure it doesn’t scratch my desk surface but this is minor comment.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2023, 15:32:03 by monstermandude »

Offline psychetype

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 15:36:00 »

There’s been a lot more offering double 3u lately thankfully. That said there’s definitely more variety for 2.75-1.25-2.25. Luckily I’m good with either even if I prefer the look of 3-1-3.

In that case, I'll let people decide in the Google form:

If there isn't a strong response after a week or two, we'll go with 3-1-3 because you asked first.  :thumb:

Offline psychetype

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 15:41:29 »
EDIT: I see after further inspection that the screws do appear slightly recessed which is great.

Love this, only thing I want to know/improve is if the screws on the bottom are recessed or flat against the case, would prefer recessed to avoid over tightening screws just to make sure it doesn’t scratch my desk surface but this is minor comment.

Hey monstermandude, the screws for the weight are recessed (countersunk), and the rest of the case screws should be flush to the case. The rubber feet should also help prevent scratching. For one of the photos, I accidentally did not screw in one of the case screws all the way, so sorry if that worried you haha
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2023, 15:47:22 by psychetype »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 July 2023, 18:22:04 »
pretty cool! good luck
I love Elzy

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 01:52:26 »

Hey monstermandude, the screws for the weight are recessed (countersunk), and the rest of the case screws should be flush to the case. The rubber feet should also help prevent scratching. For one of the photos, I accidentally did not screw in one of the case screws all the way, so sorry if that worried you haha

No worries lol, looks beautiful and I hope I will have the money for it when the GB comes

Offline giuliano.cz

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 13:43:42 »

In that case, I'll let people decide in the Google form:
Show Image

If there isn't a strong response after a week or two, we'll go with 3-1-3 because you asked first.  :thumb:

To be fair, I prefer regular Tsangan bottom row on 60s, so hopefully 3-1-3 wins ;)
Also, were hotswap PCBs just added or did I just miss them yesterday?

Offline psychetype

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 14:13:04 »
To be fair, I prefer regular Tsangan bottom row on 60s, so hopefully 3-1-3 wins ;)
Also, were hotswap PCBs just added or did I just miss them yesterday?

Hotswap should have been on the IC post from the beginning, and will be available in ANSI and ISO :thumb: 3-1-3 is winning so far ;)

Offline RandoSis

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 23:13:03 »
Oh, another thing I forgot to add, is there only gonna be FR4 plate option? I don't really have any other 60s (only one in the way) so idk if this one's just compatible with other universal plates. FR4 isn't exactly my fave material lol.
Edit: Oh and PCB support, for that matter, too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 August 2023, 23:15:05 by RandoSis »

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 02:58:26 »
Make the wrist rest happen for the aesthetic
make the weight screws internal

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 04:49:37 »
Is there any chance for this to have different plate options? I like FR4 myself but wondering in case others don't /want to change it up. If not is there any plans to release the files for the plates so people can make ones out of materials not offered (POM for example). I also agree with some of the others that maybe finding a way to have the weight screws not be visible would be a good idea as long as it doesn't majorly affect machining costs and price.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 06:39:08 »
Is it possible to offer a HHKB top?

Offline psychetype

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 10:08:40 »
Oh, another thing I forgot to add, is there only gonna be FR4 plate option? I don't really have any other 60s (only one in the way) so idk if this one's just compatible with other universal plates. FR4 isn't exactly my fave material lol.

Sorry, yes just FR4. We originally did aluminum plate but its costs were too high (24USD at 100 units and 18USD at 300 units). We didn't want our base kit to go over 200USD. With multiple plate options, it's hard to predict the quote for each option so certain plates might be much more expensive on our side. Since this is our first project, we wanted options to be very simple so that GB runs smoothly.

There are ways to use your own plate/PCB however. For top-mount, you will have to stick with the FR4 plate, but you can use any 60% PCB that is compatible with the Unified Daughterboard. For O-ring gasket mount, if you're able to find a PCB(compatible with Unified Daughterboard)/plate combo that supports O-ring and connect via JST, you can use a different PCB + plate. The O-ring we included should be thinner to help fit screw-in stabilizers.

For our next project, we'll be sure to have more options. Which one is your favorite btw?

Offline psychetype

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 10:38:37 »
Make the wrist rest happen for the aesthetic
make the weight screws internal

I also agree with some of the others that maybe finding a way to have the weight screws not be visible would be a good idea as long as it doesn't majorly affect machining costs and price.

Maybe we can do wrist rest in the future as limited in-stock item. And to make the weight screws internal for our board, the weight will have to change its shape, which will cost more. The external weight needs only minimal machining so the costs will be different for sure. For our next project, we'll make sure the weight screws are internal.

Is there any chance for this to have different plate options? I like FR4 myself but wondering in case others don't /want to change it up. If not is there any plans to release the files for the plates so people can make ones out of materials not offered (POM for example).

Sorry, no other plate options since the MoQ quote for FR4 is the reason why we can offer the board at 200USD :-[ There are ways to use other plates if you O-ring mount. And sure thing, that's a great suggestion. During GB period, we'll add our plate designs to our Discord.

Offline psychetype

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 10:41:08 »
Is it possible to offer a HHKB top?

Sorry my friend, this is not possible. :-[ :-[

Offline RandoSis

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 17:04:36 »

Sorry, yes just FR4. We originally did aluminum plate but its costs were too high (24USD at 100 units and 18USD at 300 units). We didn't want our base kit to go over 200USD. With multiple plate options, it's hard to predict the quote for each option so certain plates might be much more expensive on our side. Since this is our first project, we wanted options to be very simple so that GB runs smoothly.

There are ways to use your own plate/PCB however. For top-mount, you will have to stick with the FR4 plate, but you can use any 60% PCB that is compatible with the Unified Daughterboard. For O-ring gasket mount, if you're able to find a PCB(compatible with Unified Daughterboard)/plate combo that supports O-ring and connect via JST, you can use a different PCB + plate. The O-ring we included should be thinner to help fit screw-in stabilizers.

For our next project, we'll be sure to have more options. Which one is your favorite btw?

Nice, got it. Shouldn’t be too big an issue with the plate files released. As for my fave, I bounce between alu and carbon fiber usually. Really curious about PP but haven’t actually used it yet.

I’m also in favor of that wrist rest idea but understandable that it can’t happen at the same time as the kit lol.

Offline Waterrmelonn

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 22:50:20 »
I really like the color of the green anode, hope that's kept in for the GB.

Offline Kaguya

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 06:44:51 »
Hello, are you looking for a reviewer on Tiktok? I am very interested in this project !

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 15:57:41 »

Currently can't tell you for sure as I'm typing from a steel plate right now but I have FR4 on the way as I like the sound profile from what I've seen videos of so far. I just think in general especially for budget boards like you said the Navi60 will be that there should be a lot of options so people can find their custom sound they want.

Also been wondering about this because of the recent issues with manufacturers doing the coating colors wrong is if the images you've posted are prototypes or renders (the ones on the desk) because I'm still not the best at telling some renders apart lol. Still super excited for the keeb either way I just wanted to ask since a lot of designers and creators have been kinda screwed over by the manus lately and that of course gives problems downstream to the GB participants.

Offline monstermandude

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 16:00:59 »
Also I know it is kind of late but maybe it would be cool for a future project to make an artisan keycap based on the Psyche chip since it is in a sort of keycap shape already.

Offline psychetype

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 17:56:28 »
I really like the color of the green anode, hope that's kept in for the GB.

Green will stay ;) Blue will have to be changed to silver

Hello, are you looking for a reviewer on Tiktok? I am very interested in this project !

Sorry my friend, we were planning on giving to Youtubers, but thank you for your interest! It means a lot ;D

Currently can't tell you for sure as I'm typing from a steel plate right now but I have FR4 on the way as I like the sound profile from what I've seen videos of so far. I just think in general especially for budget boards like you said the Navi60 will be that there should be a lot of options so people can find their custom sound they want.

Also been wondering about this because of the recent issues with manufacturers doing the coating colors wrong is if the images you've posted are prototypes or renders (the ones on the desk) because I'm still not the best at telling some renders apart lol. Still super excited for the keeb either way I just wanted to ask since a lot of designers and creators have been kinda screwed over by the manus lately and that of course gives problems downstream to the GB participants.

Yes, I see what you mean. However, we would have to increase the price by a decent amount to have so many options. I already have an idea in mind for the next project, and I'll make sure that it has more plate options. Also, since this is our first project, we hope that the limited plate option will make GB run more smoothly.

As for the photos, all the ones you see on the desk are real. And I know what you mean about renders haha sometimes i can't tell these days either. As for color coating, the QC of our case manufacturer is excellent. The cost of our case quality is probably the biggest reason why we don't have much leeway for plate options. And during our time working on this project, we tried to learn a lot about anodization. Thus, we are avoiding anode colors that are risky or unstable like dark grey or beige. Of the anode colors, red and black are confirmed to be correct. Silver will just be clear anode, which leaves green as the last color. After GB period ends, we plan to update everyone on the status of each stage, including color matching.

And no worries, if you have any questions or concerns, I'll always try my best to answer. You can always leave a message on the psychetype DC as well.

Also I know it is kind of late but maybe it would be cool for a future project to make an artisan keycap based on the Psyche chip since it is in a sort of keycap shape already.

Haha that would be cool, I'll keep that in mind and maybe in the future I'll ask everyone. If this GB is successful, the wrist rest and Psyche artisan are definitely possible

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 13:47:10 »
wow nevermind that's super cheap, nevermind the external screws lmao

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 00:00:19 »
I dunno if I can shell out money for another 60%, but this is sick dude. GLWIC!

Offline psychetype

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 17:34:10 »
wow nevermind that's super cheap, nevermind the external screws lmao

I dunno if I can shell out money for another 60%, but this is sick dude. GLWIC!

Thanks everyone for the support!! ;D and yeah, 200USD is not the cheapest at the end of the day.. However, I hope when people have the kit in hand, they will appreciate all of the hard work we put into this project! We still have some cool art we commissioned to show off, which will be posted on our socials soon :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2023, 20:37:02 by psychetype »

Offline psychetype

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 22:41:42 »
Hi everyone, we decided to add more plate options. Base price will remain 200 USD with FR4 plate. POM plate will cost 8 USD extra. Alu will be 20 USD extra. That way, people who really want another plate other than FR4 will have an option. For those who are fine with FR4, the price will stay the same. We have tested alu plate in the past before, so we can confirm the alu plate is good quality. We are receiving POM plate samples soon before GB time so that we can check the quality. So far, seems like GB will happen sometime in mid-September or early October.

PS: keep in mind that many of our manus will celebrate Chinese Spring Festival early 2024 in varying durations, so we hope everyone understands that they will need a little extra time for fulfillment :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 August 2023, 01:54:57 by psychetype »

Offline vandrew

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 14:57:16 »
Super excited for this, i'm most likely going for the white/beige but maybe beige/silver if the renders are nice..
I feel like this will look really nice with my osume dalgona's haha

Offline psychetype

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 15:31:02 »
Super excited for this, i'm most likely going for the white/beige but maybe beige/silver if the renders are nice..
I feel like this will look really nice with my osume dalgona's haha

Glad to hear that!! :D I updated the renders as well, check it out! I'm planning on matching osume matcha with our green case, so hopefully we'll both be able to see our osume combos if GB is successful! ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 August 2023, 15:47:06 by psychetype »

Offline RandoSis

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 August 2023, 00:01:54 »
Oohh, that Beige looks great. Solid competition for green now, damn.
I've also thought of going black and using JTK Night Sakura for the fauux neocities look, but I already got 2 black boards so I want some variety.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 13 August 2023, 00:46:59 »
Actually looks pretty nice especially for the price (maybe that's because Lain is one of my favourite anime idk) just need to know the weight and the ekh because that's important info when it comes to buying a keyboard.

Good luck with the gb.

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 August 2023, 20:09:56 by Rhienfo »
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline psychetype

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 13 August 2023, 23:43:30 »
Actually looks pretty nice especially for the price (maybe that's because Lain is one of my favourite anime idk) just need to know the weight and the ehk because that's important info when it comes to buying a keyboard.

Good luck with the gb.

Thank you for your suggestion, we really appreciate everyone's help and feedback. The EKH is 22.94mm and the case weight with the brass is 914g. I added this to the IC post as well :thumb:

Offline KeebRehab

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 01:42:42 »
Will you consider including a carrying case? I've historically had a lot of trouble storing and transporting (to the office, etc) boards that did not come with a carrying case.

Offline Necrolegion

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 16:29:10 »
Saw this recently on Alexotos stream, any chance in hell to get HKKB and WKL blockers??

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 09 September 2023, 04:06:44 »
Is there a clearer image of this plate, as the only image is hard to see?

also hhkb/wkl top would be nice to have as an option as well but I'm not sure if that's possible since it seems gb times have been set just not specifically

also also please package this with a carrying case, would prefer it much more than the standard packaging as it reduces a lot of the waste that normal boxes has.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2023, 04:29:28 by Rhienfo »
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mul7i

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 09 September 2023, 15:09:21 »
hope we could get a malaysian vendor in on this  :D

Offline psychetype

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 09 September 2023, 16:10:15 »
Will you consider including a carrying case? I've historically had a lot of trouble storing and transporting (to the office, etc) boards that did not come with a carrying case.

also hhkb/wkl top would be nice to have as an option as well but I'm not sure if that's possible since it seems gb times have been set just not specifically

also also please package this with a carrying case, would prefer it much more than the standard packaging as it reduces a lot of the waste that normal boxes has.

Saw this recently on Alexotos stream, any chance in hell to get HKKB and WKL blockers??

Sorry guys, no carrying case :( I think our case can fit any 60% carrying case on Amazon. Also, we can't offer any additional case options, since the cost will affect the rest of the project. I'm really sorry guys, if we ever release another project, we'll take all this into account.

hope we could get a malaysian vendor in on this  :D

You can maybe order from Pantheonkeys or Desk Daily, but if you have trouble ordering when the time comes, DM me on Discord  :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 09 September 2023, 19:30:21 »
Hey psychtype, is October 2023 the final GB date target? Also, what's the lead time from manufacturing and delivery for someone with the same home country as DeskDaily? Peace, I really hope this GB crushes it.

Offline psychetype

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 02:06:29 »
Hey psychtype, is October 2023 the final GB date target? Also, what's the lead time from manufacturing and delivery for someone with the same home country as DeskDaily? Peace, I really hope this GB crushes it.

Hi lush_bunny! Yes, we are looking to release Oct 2nd, just ironing out some details with vendors right now. The component that will take the longest time to complete will be the case. For our prototypes, we initiated our purchase Nov 25th last year. They were shipped via air freight on Feb 26th 2023 and we received them March 16th. Certain vendors will use sea freight, which takes around 30 days. However, I would assume the lead time for the Philippines should be quicker than some of the other vendors :thumb:

And thanks so much!! We'll try to have a more clearer fulfillment schedule in our GB post :)

Offline psychetype

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 22:32:03 »

Ahh sorry missed this question. The plate design is currently pending some changes to accommodate new layouts so it will look slightly different from the old photo. But for the GB post I'll post a new photo with our old plate :D

Offline psychetype

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 22:37:15 »
Some new changes, we had to increase the base price by 10 USD, sorry everyone :-[ Plate prices remain the same. Also, new GB launch date will be on Oct 9th. We also have a new vendor for Vietnam :thumb:

Offline fuzzypanda24

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 28 September 2023, 18:11:16 »
No more e-white?