Author Topic: [IC] KeyKobo Tidal (GB Oct 5th-Nov 2nd)  (Read 9016 times)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
[IC] KeyKobo Tidal (GB Oct 5th-Nov 2nd)
« on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 15:03:47 »
Tidal

Everyone knows of my admiration towards blue so here's to that.

I really liked SA Vilebloom, just not the SA part of it all so I figured to run my rendition of a "gradient set"

There is no theme for this set, I just like blue.

This started off as a GMK set but I have since moved it over onto to Keykobo for the meantime.

Renders by KingK22 & Jr Mars

Pneuma by Steff

Mech27 V2 by Mech27

I am keeping the kits minimal as possible to hit MOQs since the market is struggling and the hobby is calming down.

With the addition of a (Calm) mono-kit you can achieve the bottom here.

Kyuu by Quantrik

Please let me know in the comments on your thoughts and suggestions.  (Although kits are mostly solidified)

Visit my discord for quicker communication or details.

https://discord.gg/9ExTPMg

We will try to run before the end of the year but no promises.

Vendor list
EU - Candykeys
CAN - Ashkeebs
OCE - DailyClack
ASIA/SEA - ilumkb
US - KFA - KeebsForAll
Japan - BaseKeys
Korea - SwagKeys
Indonesia - Mechland
Prices
KFA -
Tidal - $95
Calm - $35
SB - $9

SwagKeys
Tidal - KRW 138000
Calm - KRW 52000

Physical Pantone Colors

Older GH Thread if you'd like to review prior comments or previous work. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106389.msg2904465#msg2904465

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2023, 17:26:50 by Mcnos »

Offline Mecxs

Re: [IC] KeyKobo Tidal (Kits and Vendors announced)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 17:28:49 »
I like the 40s support but have to be a kill joy and point out that L->R gradient sets are a bit trickier.

The two most common layouts are 12.75u (aka minivan) and 13u. In non-gradient kits, 3-key 40s gives support for both assuming that people are willing to use 'end' as esc (or have a R1 esc in a R2 row).

For gradients though, you also need to consider the shifts. Both 12.75u and 13u layouts use a 1.75u LEFT shift. The 13u layout then uses a 1.25u RIGHT shift (though I suspect very few people would object to using the 1.25u Fn key in its place).

For full 40s support, you'd need to add a 1.75u shift in the dark blue colour. Then there's the issue of the bottom row. Unlike the other rows, 40% bottom rows are just literally made up on the spot using RNG. 1-3 spacebars, 1-1.75u bottom row keys in random places, knobs, etc. Your calm kit is a fantastic solution, because I don't think that the gradient would ever be feasibly supported with all the dumb options out there. As it stands, I think that most layouts will be okay with the gradient if people are cool using the ISO keys on their bottom row.

But yeah - for the base kit you'd either need to remove the 40s support and shift it to another kit, or add a 5th key (1.75u dark blue shift).

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 18:14:32 »
Your UK support is very incorrect - there's no point in just the 2" and 3£ without also an R1 `¬, R3 '@ and ~#, and R4 \|. Please consider full UK support or, alternatively, remove it from base and contemplate a nordeuk kit (KKB Miami Nights went this route). As is this kitting isn't terribly useful for the UK.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 18:41:03 »
TIDAL REVIVED LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MONO KIT LET'S GO AGAIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Very excited for this!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 19:46:59 »
Your UK support is very incorrect - there's no point in just the 2" and 3£ without also an R1 `¬, R3 '@ and ~#, and R4 \|. Please consider full UK support or, alternatively, remove it from base and contemplate a nordeuk kit (KKB Miami Nights went this route). As is this kitting isn't terribly useful for the UK.

I'll consider it. I won't be adding a nordeuk kit though.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 19:47:44 »
I like the 40s support but have to be a kill joy and point out that L->R gradient sets are a bit trickier.

The two most common layouts are 12.75u (aka minivan) and 13u. In non-gradient kits, 3-key 40s gives support for both assuming that people are willing to use 'end' as esc (or have a R1 esc in a R2 row).

For gradients though, you also need to consider the shifts. Both 12.75u and 13u layouts use a 1.75u LEFT shift. The 13u layout then uses a 1.25u RIGHT shift (though I suspect very few people would object to using the 1.25u Fn key in its place).

For full 40s support, you'd need to add a 1.75u shift in the dark blue colour. Then there's the issue of the bottom row. Unlike the other rows, 40% bottom rows are just literally made up on the spot using RNG. 1-3 spacebars, 1-1.75u bottom row keys in random places, knobs, etc. Your calm kit is a fantastic solution, because I don't think that the gradient would ever be feasibly supported with all the dumb options out there. As it stands, I think that most layouts will be okay with the gradient if people are cool using the ISO keys on their bottom row.

But yeah - for the base kit you'd either need to remove the 40s support and shift it to another kit, or add a 5th key (1.75u dark blue shift).

I was against adding 40's support in the first place so I may remove it from base entirely.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 19:51:36 »

I was against adding 40's support in the first place so I may remove it from base entirely.

Okay sounds good

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 20:05:39 »
I'll consider it. I won't be adding a nordeuk kit though.

I'm an idiot; you do have R4 \| so you're really only three keys off full ISO-UK support with the other additions I mentioned.

On that note please ask UK vendors if they'd like to run this especially - ProtoTypist here runs tons of GMK/KKB sets but there's lots of others, including MechMods and SerpentKeys who've ran KKB too - if you do choose to include ISO-UK, please! Candykeys is in Germany and it's a little bit harder for us to buy stuff there after we kinda went and left the European Union a few years ago...

Thanks and gl!

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 11:13:58 »
''I am keeping the kits minimal as possible to hit MOQs'' but you have 40s keys, UK-ISO kit and having UK-ISO instead of terminal ISO which would be more minimal. Also, gradient sets in 2023 really... can we not cuck keykobo too like we did with gmk...

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 11:23:19 »
''I am keeping the kits minimal as possible to hit MOQs'' but you have 40s keys, UK-ISO kit and having UK-ISO instead of terminal ISO which would be more minimal. Also, gradient sets in 2023 really... can we not cuck keykobo too like we did with gmk...

Thanks for your insightful input

This was designed before you were even registered on GH

I will be going from UK to terminal.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 September 2023, 11:35:53 by Mcnos »

Offline anson42

[IC] KeyKobo Tidal (Kits and Vendors announced)
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 12:06:27 »
The set looks really nice! Appreciate the HHKB support.

I may be in the minority but I would love to see a Home key in R2 and another pair of Page Up/Down in R3 and R4. As it is the set doesn’t fit my preferred 65% or 75% layout for lack of those keys. That and HHKB support are the first things I look at and noticed the lack of greater nav flexibility right away.

At any rate, best of luck with the set!

EDIT: I’ve noticed few sets have a Home key in R2, especially GMK, but many do have the extra Page Up/Down in R3/R4. I suppose novelty keys can often provide the flexibility I’m looking for, as long as there are novelties for every row.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 September 2023, 12:19:07 by anson42 »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 13:49:01 »
The set looks really nice! Appreciate the HHKB support.

I may be in the minority but I would love to see a Home key in R2 and another pair of Page Up/Down in R3 and R4. As it is the set doesn’t fit my preferred 65% or 75% layout for lack of those keys. That and HHKB support are the first things I look at and noticed the lack of greater nav flexibility right away.

At any rate, best of luck with the set!

EDIT: I’ve noticed few sets have a Home key in R2, especially GMK, but many do have the extra Page Up/Down in R3/R4. I suppose novelty keys can often provide the flexibility I’m looking for, as long as there are novelties for every row.

I originally had R3/4 Pg Up/Dn but removed them since the majority of people use R2/3 for those keys and FN as R4 to better appease and keep kitting minimal I opted to remove them. Kitting should be slimmed down more but I settled for doing middle ground.

Offline anson42

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 14:13:17 »
Kitting should be slimmed down more but I settled for doing middle ground.

I totally understand that tradeoffs were necessary and agree with your decision. I would have done the same even if I wanted that extra coverage.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 17:56:36 »
Disappointed you're going for terminal instead of UK. At least UK would've given us the right legends. Terminal ISO gives no European region the right legends. I'm out as a result. Good luck, though.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 September 2023, 02:56:53 »
Maybe some more renders with existing boards? Also I would love if the renders are consistent with the first 4 in the main post :D

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
Re: [IC] KeyKobo Tidal (Kits and vendors announced)
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 11:05:56 »
Maybe some more renders with existing boards?

Also I would love if the renders are consistent with the first 4 in the main post :D
Not sure what you mean by this, all the boards exist lol.

Also not sure what you mean by the renders being consistent. It's two different lighting scenarios for renders and two different people's renders. My original helper isn't around any longer so I can't get those remade but they are pretty consistent with what I intended for the design to come out as.

I've also updated the kitting with suggestions from you guys.

This is the final kit revisions and I will not be making any further changes with kitting.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 15:24:22 »
there seems to be a mistake with your new renders, 40% keys are still in it?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 17:32:38 »
there seems to be a mistake with your new renders, 40% keys are still in it?

:))

I sacrificed the UK ISO for Terminal ISO so that left me with some room left, figure I might as well add one 40s key to make space bar kits more attractive to the 20 people who will buy the set for their 40s.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 09:22:42 »
Shooting for January GB was originally October but I think that’s too close for comfort

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 15:18:14 »
Jkl, the GB is Oct 5-Nov 2nd 2023

KFA -
Tidal - $95
Calm - $35
SB - $9

SwagKeys
Tidal - KRW 138000
Calm - KRW 52000
SB -KRW 14000

The rest of the vendors will have a price available closer to the GB date
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2023, 17:29:26 by Mcnos »

Re: [IC] KeyKobo Tidal (GB Oct 5th-Nov 2nd)
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 01:05:35 »
Any chance of physical color samples prior to GB? This has been a thing Key kobo has been willing to do in the past, maybe we should continue this standard?

On that note; I don't see any information on pantones or anything, what colors are actually being used here? The renders seem a bit inconsistent in terms of colors so it's hard to tell what to expect.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 September 2023, 01:50:39 by strengthinnumbers »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 18:52:06 »
Any chance of physical color samples prior to GB? This has been a thing Key kobo has been willing to do in the past, maybe we should continue this standard?

On that note; I don't see any information on pantones or anything, what colors are actually being used here? The renders seem a bit inconsistent in terms of colors so it's hard to tell what to expect.

I am not able to procure samples before the GB. I have had a sample kit made by IFK in the past and it's a good representation of what you may see You can find both the samples and colors on the original GH thread that I linked in the body.

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 18:08:25 »

I am not able to procure samples before the GB. I have had a sample kit made by IFK in the past and it's a good representation of what you may see You can find both the samples and colors on the original GH thread that I linked in the body.

Not being able to procure samples before the GB, what is the reason for that? Many KKB ICs have confirmed samples prior to GB, this isn't something that's not possible. If time is the issue, maybe it should be pushed back rather than rushing ahead without confirming KKBs color matching is accurate?

Here are 7 KKB ICs with samples prior to GB:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119802.msg3160257#msg3160257
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120544.msg3164053#msg3164053
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120388.msg3162511#msg3162511
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120476.msg3163384#msg3163384
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120609.msg3164745#msg3164745
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121022.msg3168411#msg3168411
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120680.msg3165306#msg3165306

Worth noting that the only major successful KKB GB that skipped the color matching phase prior to GB then faced significant delays due to this. Poltergeist ran in October last year and still has not yet shipped to customers.

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 September 2023, 18:37:08 by strengthinnumbers »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 01:10:15 »

Not being able to procure samples before the GB, what is the reason for that? Many KKB ICs have confirmed samples prior to GB, this isn't something that's not possible. If time is the issue, maybe it should be pushed back rather than rushing ahead without confirming KKBs color matching is accurate?

Worth noting that the only major successful KKB GB that skipped the color matching phase prior to GB then faced significant delays due to this. Poltergeist ran in October last year and still has not yet shipped to customers.

Show Image

I will look into it and see if they will allow samples. Last time I asked it was denied

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2023, 23:02:50 by Mcnos »

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 10:28:20 »
I like the colors in the render, but personally won't buy from KFA. Any chance of another US vendor?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 15:09:16 »
I like the colors in the render, but personally won't buy from KFA. Any chance of another US vendor?
so true it should run on the key company instead

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 21:53:35 »

You'd have to find someone who still has a job there to get it listed.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 17:12:48 »

TKC pettiness aside, why don't you elaborate on why you refuse to support KFA? Something substantial with sources would be helpful. It's becoming increasingly common to fabricate faults with X vendor without much factual evidence to back it up. Please explain?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 19:27:03 »
I would also like to know why the protest towards KFA.

I will not run with TKC for a numerous amount of reasons, my primary choices for US vendors are indisposed to GBs at this time thanks to the state of the hobby.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 06:42:04 »

TKC pettiness aside, why don't you elaborate on why you refuse to support KFA? Something substantial with sources would be helpful. It's becoming increasingly common to fabricate faults with X vendor without much factual evidence to back it up. Please explain?

So:

A) I wouldn't ask for the GB to be run with TKC. I'd be advocating for the GB to run at a vendor more likely to be in business for the duration of the production period, not less so. That person's comment was a slight against me for having worked there.

B) There are numeous examples of KFA having less-than-gold-standard business practices. The mystery box scandal would be the big one. There have been others in the Facebook MK group I'm a member of. I can copy and paste a couple for those that aren't members. It's really not hard to find some of this stuff if you just look up KFA.

Paul McKee
August 15
  ·
Has anyone had any experience with keebsforall's customer service?
I pre-ordered a stainless steel knob.  I've been waiting over a month for this item.  I finally got shipping notification that it was being mailed.  They sent the wrong item.  They are holding the correct item hostage until they get the wrong item back.  This seems absolutely ridiculous.

José Antigua
Top contributor
I had an issue with KFA that left me unhappy with my buying experience. My FreeBird TKL was on shipping label created status for 20 days. I reached out to their customer service team and I was told the wait a week to receive a response from them, long story short after about 16 days of waiting for my tracking to update and without receiving a response from any KFA personnel, I decided to reach out to the owner via Discord, two days after that my order finally started tracking. I understand they were having a lot of buyers such as myself reaching out to their customer service team but leaving my order in the back of the warehouse for 18 days and the fact that nobody from customer service answered my ticket left much to be desired.
On the other hand, I've purchased switches from them and I received them without issues. Mind you the tracking issue also happened to a friend of mine to the point we created a rule of thumb, if it's something small we can buy it from KFA if it's a keyboard then we try our best to get it elsewhere.

I know there was a third, very recent example in this group but the poster deleted the comment after KFA "made it right" so I can't document it for you here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/t1fvet/keebsforall_shipping_issues/

C) Anecdotally, the only time I ever purchased from KFA was from a marketplace listing. They took 30 days "inspecting" the item before shipping it out (note: I'm not including shipping from from the seller to KFA, just the amount of time where they had both my money and the item in posession) and were very dismissive when I inquired why it was taking so long to ship.

Good luck with your GB!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2023, 06:44:57 by TerryMathews »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 14:43:57 »

So:

A) I wouldn't ask for the GB to be run with TKC. I'd be advocating for the GB to run at a vendor more likely to be in business for the duration of the production period, not less so. That person's comment was a slight against me for having worked there.

B) There are numeous examples of KFA having less-than-gold-standard business practices. The mystery box scandal would be the big one. There have been others in the Facebook MK group I'm a member of. I can copy and paste a couple for those that aren't members. It's really not hard to find some of this stuff if you just look up KFA.

Paul McKee
August 15
  ·
Has anyone had any experience with keebsforall's customer service?
I pre-ordered a stainless steel knob.  I've been waiting over a month for this item.  I finally got shipping notification that it was being mailed.  They sent the wrong item.  They are holding the correct item hostage until they get the wrong item back.  This seems absolutely ridiculous.

José Antigua
Top contributor
I had an issue with KFA that left me unhappy with my buying experience. My FreeBird TKL was on shipping label created status for 20 days. I reached out to their customer service team and I was told the wait a week to receive a response from them, long story short after about 16 days of waiting for my tracking to update and without receiving a response from any KFA personnel, I decided to reach out to the owner via Discord, two days after that my order finally started tracking. I understand they were having a lot of buyers such as myself reaching out to their customer service team but leaving my order in the back of the warehouse for 18 days and the fact that nobody from customer service answered my ticket left much to be desired.
On the other hand, I've purchased switches from them and I received them without issues. Mind you the tracking issue also happened to a friend of mine to the point we created a rule of thumb, if it's something small we can buy it from KFA if it's a keyboard then we try our best to get it elsewhere.

I know there was a third, very recent example in this group but the poster deleted the comment after KFA "made it right" so I can't document it for you here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/t1fvet/keebsforall_shipping_issues/

C) Anecdotally, the only time I ever purchased from KFA was from a marketplace listing. They took 30 days "inspecting" the item before shipping it out (note: I'm not including shipping from from the seller to KFA, just the amount of time where they had both my money and the item in posession) and were very dismissive when I inquired why it was taking so long to ship.

Good luck with your GB!

To be frank, those complaints seem to be the standard nuances of all vendors in general, you’ll find customer service isn’t peaked at every vendor - just way too many moving parts to make it a 5 star service. Those that do provide optimal 5 star are also those who are out of reach. Actual issues I’d be concerned about is refusing to acknowledge issues, overly extensive shipping times, scams, or misrepresentation

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 23:03:08 »

Show Image

I have sent them my chips for them to start sampling the colors but as of right now the GB is still planned.

If you were still unable to find the colors used in the old thread here they are again.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 11:46:57 »
Group buy page has been posted

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121516.0

I am locking this thread