Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383760 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1200 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:56:25 »
would teensy people be interested in having that money go to a completely custom color?

PM sent regarding this. :thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1201 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:05:11 »
for folks who want gold, ray just pitched in for desert gold. any other takers? let's do this!

note we're doing desert gold regardless of whether others want in on it, so no need to think too hard. if you want it, you get it!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #1202 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:08:55 »
If massdrop is fulfilling the PCBs late July? Does that mean that you will be able to ship the remaining components before then? Isn't painting 75% of the plates the only remaining step?

This is a little disappointing since I have been prototyping a Bluetooth mod based on a teensy compatible PCB.

this post makes me sad smiley sad

:( sad smiley :(
woah, that also makes me smiley sad..

would you be interested in working on an infinity bluetooth mod?  :cool:

this would be cool enough that i'd be interested on helping out with development  :eek:

I still want to make a bluetooth enabled JD40. I see that the source code is available for the infinity keyboard controller. the controller has enough power to add bluetooth functionality.

Currently I'm thinking a slave module that houses a battery and bluetooth controller. which would communicate with the infinity controller on the PCB. But it would need usb power for charging, some form of communication with the onboard controller (some kind of serial or i2c), and a way to bypass the onboard regulator. (to enable the controller to run off batteries)

These are all things that can't be determined without the PCB design files or the PCB itself. So until the keyboards arrive I can't do much.

I also updated my color choices, because I have no clue what I picked 8 months ago. :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1203 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:09:22 »
for folks who want gold, ray just pitched in for desert gold. any other takers? let's do this!

note we're doing desert gold regardless of whether others want in on it, so no need to think too hard. if you want it, you get it!

for anyone who missed the link before

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-246Q/desert-gold/

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #1204 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:58:20 »
Count me in for desert gold
hello.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1205 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:58:56 »
You can take my teensy $$$ and add it to the donation

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #1206 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 09:26:58 »
there's been enough people writing for burnt bronze that i'm going to go with that color. if you have a strong preference for bronze instead of burnt bronze, speak now or hold your peace!

I was originally a proponent of burnt bronze but when you linked the later color options and the bronze linked to a darker bronze color, Barret Bronze,  I fell in love with that.

I'm more interested in the darker coppery bronze tones.

I was hoping Barret Bronze looks more like below:

I'm still willing to be a lab rat for the bronze option if one is needed.  I'd also donate my teensy money to the name of color options as well.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1207 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 09:53:17 »
would teensy people be interested in having that money go to a completely custom color?

Hi mkawa, I'm going with existing color choice, so I'd prefer a refund of my teensy please.

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #1208 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:15:09 »
Hi mkawa, I'm going with existing color choice, so I'd prefer a refund of my teensy please.

Same here, I would prefer a refund of my teensy as well. And also, is it possible to have a refund for that extra PCB that we ordered as well? D: Since the PCBs are actually not produced yet.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1209 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 12:06:33 »
I would also prefer a refund for the teensy.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1210 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 12:21:39 »
No idea whether I bought a teensy...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1211 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:00:26 »

please pm me your order number and paypal address. thanks!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1212 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:02:26 »
if you ordered an extra pcb, you will get an extra pcb. that is the current plan.

oh, and note that those who are PMing me for teensy refunds, i will need to verify that your paypal address is the same as the email address on your account (although you can change the email address attached to your geekhackers account!).

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1213 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 21:22:34 »
I would like my plates as such shipped as they are available.  My order was raw as well so no painting to work on.  Also, will the infinity keyboard firmware stuffs work with a handwired matrix on a teensy 3.x?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1214 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 22:59:46 »
Just one thing I suddenly have in mind is that:

Will the newly design PCB be guaranteed to work with the titanium plates? I am just a little bit worried that the PCB will come out incompatible with our plates, rendering them useless.
Since it's still under design stage, it'd cool if mkawa could remind them about this point please. ;)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1215 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 23:18:54 »

Will the newly design PCB be guaranteed to work with the titanium plates? I am just a little bit worried that the PCB will come out incompatible with our plates, rendering them useless.
Since it's still under design stage, it'd cool if mkawa could remind them about this point please. ;)

It's still my design. :)

I've been working with Massdrop and Input Club to get this done. Rest assured, the new PCBs will be 100% backward compatible with all existing JD40 hardware. The new PCB has more layout options, where the original PCB was a fixed layout. But the original layout is still there, so it can work with existing plates, such as the ones in this GB.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tbc

« Reply #1216 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 23:45:00 »

I've been working with Massdrop and Input Club to get this done. Rest assured, the new PCBs will be 100% backward compatible with all existing JD40 hardware. The new PCB has more layout options, where the original PCB was a fixed layout. But the original layout is still there, so it can work with existing plates, such as the ones in this GB.

are these new layouts shown somewhere?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline joey

« Reply #1217 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 01:49:11 »
I would like my plates as such shipped as they are available.  My order was raw as well so no painting to work on.  Also, will the infinity keyboard firmware stuffs work with a handwired matrix on a teensy 3.x?
The infinity/kiibohd firmware works with Teensy 3.x.

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #1218 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 01:52:09 »
I'm interested in having my Teensy money go to a custom color... provided I find a good one!
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1219 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 02:46:56 »

Backward compatible? That's good. :)
But I doubt if our titanium case is a "backward" :D

Please build LED backlighting functionality too  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 02:52:48 by fatchoi »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1220 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 18:19:56 »
there's been enough people writing for burnt bronze that i'm going to go with that color. if you have a strong preference for bronze instead of burnt bronze, speak now or hold your peace!

I was originally a proponent of burnt bronze but when you linked the later color options and the bronze linked to a darker bronze color, Barret Bronze,  I fell in love with that.

Show Image

I'm still willing to be a lab rat for the bronze option if one is needed.  I'd also donate my teensy money to the name of color options as well.
THIS BRONZE IS INCREDIBLE

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1221 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 19:01:53 »
Purple plates have already been painted, correct?

Edit: yes they have

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #1222 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 00:20:03 »
If massdrop is fulfilling the PCBs late July? Does that mean that you will be able to ship the remaining components before then? Isn't painting 75% of the plates the only remaining step?

This is a little disappointing since I have been prototyping a Bluetooth mod based on a teensy compatible PCB.

this would be cool enough that i'd be interested on helping out with development  :eek:

I still want to make a bluetooth enabled JD40. I see that the source code is available for the infinity keyboard controller. the controller has enough power to add bluetooth functionality.

Currently I'm thinking a slave module that houses a battery and bluetooth controller. which would communicate with the infinity controller on the PCB. But it would need usb power for charging, some form of communication with the onboard controller (some kind of serial or i2c), and a way to bypass the onboard regulator. (to enable the controller to run off batteries)

These are all things that can't be determined without the PCB design files or the PCB itself. So until the keyboards arrive I can't do much.

I also updated my color choices, because I have no clue what I picked 8 months ago. :)

Neat. What sort of Bluetooth module were you planning on using?
I'll be exposing a UART header (Rx and Tx of UART0) for debug purposes. However it could be repurposed for things like Bluetooth.

Exposing SPI is a bit trickier (never planned for SPI usage on the original Infinity, so it would require large schematic changes) so that's likely a no-go.

Something like http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/RF-Digital/RFD22102/?qs=MxnWX8BLHKcwkuVNwF2v8A%3D%3D&kpid=1035900368&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLtYrBveTma82Vc61pqpdWxJ57cMTATaf0vpUaXxH3zIaApTK8P8HAQ works via UART or SPI.
This summer I'll be doing some investigation into this module to see if I can do NKRO Bluetooth (first via UART, then SPI).
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline tbc

« Reply #1223 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 00:25:50 »
i'm only speaking for myself here, but 2kro is fine with me.  i'm only using mine for light notetaking purposes so even if kro issue pops up, it's a nonissue.

if any of that makes it easier
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #1224 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 00:29:00 »

Neat. What sort of Bluetooth module were you planning on using?
I'll be exposing a UART header (Rx and Tx of UART0) for debug purposes. However it could be repurposed for things like Bluetooth.

Exposing SPI is a bit trickier (never planned for SPI usage on the original Infinity, so it would require large schematic changes) so that's likely a no-go.

Something like http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/RF-Digital/RFD22102/?qs=MxnWX8BLHKcwkuVNwF2v8A%3D%3D&kpid=1035900368&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLtYrBveTma82Vc61pqpdWxJ57cMTATaf0vpUaXxH3zIaApTK8P8HAQ works via UART or SPI.
This summer I'll be doing some investigation into this module to see if I can do NKRO Bluetooth (first via UART, then SPI).
UART would be perfect. I'm using TI's CC2541. And I have a friend who has developed a customs firmware for a Bluetooth to think pad keyboard. I have all the CC2541 development tools so I can implement whatever protocol will play well with the two controllers.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #1225 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 00:38:57 »
If you want a head-start, here's the datasheet you want http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/K20P48M50SF0RM.pdf Chapter 45 (pg. 1039).

I have a debug module I use for using UART0 on the Infinity keyboard (mk20dx128vlf5), all the code to use it is already there.
https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/blob/master/Output/uartOut/arm/uart_serial.c

Most of the work is likely creating a new Output module (https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/tree/master/Output) that sends the USB descriptors via UART instead of USB.

Because the PCBs are still a ways out, if you want a dev board a Teensy 3.0 will work quite well (very close in specs). A 3.1 will also work, but you might run into some incompatibilities (unlikely though). I'm pretty busy right now with the Infinity ErgoDox, but you can find me on the #geekhack @ irc.freenode.net IRC channel if you want faster question response.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #1226 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 05:07:48 »

Show Image

THIS BRONZE IS INCREDIBLE

that's one of the first images that came back when I googled Barret Bronze.   Which the normal bronze option linked to.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1227 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 07:13:56 »
Purple plates have already been painted, correct?

Edit: yes they have
yah, rainbow still has them, but they are all done, and looking great. tammi hasn't packed them up yet; they're probably going to go in her next shipment back to me

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1228 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 07:20:07 »
If you want a head-start, here's the datasheet you want http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/K20P48M50SF0RM.pdf Chapter 45 (pg. 1039).

I have a debug module I use for using UART0 on the Infinity keyboard (mk20dx128vlf5), all the code to use it is already there.
https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/blob/master/Output/uartOut/arm/uart_serial.c

Most of the work is likely creating a new Output module (https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/tree/master/Output) that sends the USB descriptors via UART instead of USB.

Because the PCBs are still a ways out, if you want a dev board a Teensy 3.0 will work quite well (very close in specs). A 3.1 will also work, but you might run into some incompatibilities (unlikely though). I'm pretty busy right now with the Infinity ErgoDox, but you can find me on the #geekhack @ irc.freenode.net IRC channel if you want faster question response.
i think there's strictly more functionality on the kinetis you're using for the infinity than on that atmel chip, so hijacking a GPIO should be fine as long as the pin isn't being used in the current codebase. a uart output module is also a generally nice thing to have in the codebase regardless.

there are a number of atmel reference boards that have BT phy/chip radio in a can with a really nice tiny footprint; they're basically attinys or atmegas with a mixed more BT core onboard. i went looking around at the BT options recently and iirc those were the cheapest and nicest packages i found.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1229 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 09:08:14 »
Would be quite interested and excited about the BT mod. :D Hope someone could post a guide of how to implement, as I'm not familiar with it. :(

Offline JWK

« Reply #1230 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 11:43:17 »
<snip> Rest assured, the new PCBs will be 100% backward compatible with all existing JD40 hardware. The new PCB has more layout options, where the original PCB was a fixed layout. But the original layout is still there, so it can work with existing plates, such as the ones in this GB.

Will this same PCB also be the JD45 PCB? 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1231 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 11:47:59 »
<snip> Rest assured, the new PCBs will be 100% backward compatible with all existing JD40 hardware. The new PCB has more layout options, where the original PCB was a fixed layout. But the original layout is still there, so it can work with existing plates, such as the ones in this GB.

Will this same PCB also be the JD45 PCB? 

No, that is a completely separate project.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jonlorusso

« Reply #1232 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:45:13 »
What are the chances this will (ever) be available again on geekhackers?  I was pretty late to the show.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1233 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:49:06 »
What are the chances this will (ever) be available again on geekhackers?  I was pretty late to the show.

Very low. However there are people still looking to sell their kits iirc.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline ImDaBaron

« Reply #1234 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 17:43:35 »

Very low. However there are people still looking to sell their kits iirc.

If someone wants to sell their spot I'm interested

Offline jonlorusso

« Reply #1235 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:15:03 »
I am interested as well

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1236 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:08:23 »
thirded!

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1237 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 07:04:57 »
Happy to sell mine at cost. Includes the notched plate and spare pcb, if I remember correctly.

Offline jonlorusso

« Reply #1238 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:25:01 »
Happy to sell mine at cost. Includes the notched plate and spare pcb, if I remember correctly.

What color plates?

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1239 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:27:56 »
I believe I selected raw titanium. I don't know whether there's still the option to change that if the order is taken over by someone else... anyone know?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1240 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:44:01 »
I believe I selected raw titanium. I don't know whether there's still the option to change that if the order is taken over by someone else... anyone know?

I feel like the raw plates are locked in at this point. Kawa talked about within the last few pages iirc.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1241 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:02:35 »
yah, raw plates are locked in.

the chances of this gb ever happening again is zero.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1242 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:03:23 »
With the new PCBs it sounds like MassDrop is getting in the game...

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #1243 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:05:24 »
I am still assembling keyboards for the users below:

Vibex ( missing teensy, hasn't chosen led color )

GSimon ( you are all set, thanks )

Babyeatinwu ( you are all set, thanks )

Ranker ( needs teensy and switches )

Docwlad ( you are all set, thanks )

Since one person sold his order and that person is building his JD himself it opens up one spot for someone to have their JD assembled for free by me, please message me so that I can have your order shipped to me with others.

Edit: I would prefer that it would be someone that hasn't bought all of the essential tools to build their JD or someone that doesn't feel comfortable building theirs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:08:26 by Thechemist »

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1244 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 17:00:30 »
My kit is still available. Notched raw titanium plate, extra pcb, teensy*, $256 (which is what I paid).

Edit: some logistics to sort here. Going to PM mkawa about teensy refund so price above will drop slightly. Also need to check how transfers are going to work... vaguely remember asking this months ago. If this is going to have to be shipped to me (UK) then to somewhere else then there will be a delay/shipping costs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2015, 17:05:10 by Yslen »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1245 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 19:35:47 »
i'll ship directly to the new buyer. use the contact form on the site to email me for the teensy refund and i'll get that taken care of asap

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1246 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 19:44:18 »
i'll ship directly to the new buyer. use the contact form on the site to email me for the teensy refund and i'll get that taken care of asap

I just filled one out as well.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Yslen

« Reply #1247 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 00:53:35 »
Awesome, will do that :)

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #1248 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 12:51:28 »
Wait ****, I'm locked into the raw notched plate now? :|

I haven't checked on the thread in a while.. figured we'd get emails or PMs if something major happened.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline jonlorusso

« Reply #1249 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 12:58:24 »
What does it take to drill through titanium plates.  If i wanted to add a hole to the top plate (for a trackpoint).  I understand the PCB will cause other issues. Just wondering about the titanium...