Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mudkap (new renders!)  (Read 31643 times)

Offline Ren_Kaos

[IC] GMK Mudkap (new renders!)
« on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:15:24 »

Mudkip has been my favorite Pokemon since it's release in gen 3. That might be why some of my favorite colors are blues and oranges!
240020-0
Pantone #CBDDF3       Pantone #5BB5E3       Pantone #FFA637

When I set out to design this set I realized that I could even make it look like mudkip as well and here we are!

242382-1
242384-2
242386-3
242388-4

Base set
242376-5

Numpad
242378-6

Novelties
242380-7

Thank you so much for checking out my design and for giving any input or help, it's very appreciated!

→ Interest Check Form

Update Log
-name change
-removed shiny colorscheme
-removed numpad from base
-added split support in base kit
-added numpad kit
-added novelties kit
-name change gen 3
-new renders!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 01:16:23 by Ren_Kaos »

Offline BapoDonu

Re: [IC] GMK Mudkip
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:22:01 »
Like the idea but don't mess with Nintendo/Pokemon.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:23:06 »
This is really cute, like it!

Offline NcXDevil

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:25:52 »

Agreed, could still stick with the colourway, but you might to rethink the novelties

Offline dommyy13

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:48:35 »

Agreed, could still stick with the colourway, but you might to rethink the novelties

Maybe OP can reach out to the creator of SA Vilebloom about this because they have pokeball novelties on their set.

Offline joonia

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:50:26 »
those eyes just stare into my soul.

Offline Scucka

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:53:04 »
You should contact Nintendo about this.

Offline soran

• what have I done
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:32:56 »
You should contact Nintendo about this.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:33:34 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:40:49 »
That's a super creative use of cap positions and stagger. If there's a place for Handarbeit in the world, there has to be a place for something like this too.

Maybe OP can reach out to the creator of SA Vilebloom about this because they have pokeball novelties on their set.

Vilebloom avoided explicitly mentioning “Pokemon” and other trademarked terms. For example, they used phrasing like “PkMn-inspired”, the text novelties said “PKMN”, the pokeballs were abstracted so they didn't look exactly like pokeballs™, and so on. The name itself, Vilebloom, is a combination of two Pokemon names (Vileplume and Gloom), so Vilebloom itself is not a trademarked name. They deliberately went about it in a roundabout way.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:56:18 by konstantin »

Offline Pach

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:48:12 »
pokemon gang unite

also you should try to avoid using potentially trademarked names

Offline wil

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:48:17 »

Offline psxndc

[IC] GMK Mudkip
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 12:33:14 »
Show Image

Show Image

That's perfect.

I'll second the suggestion about reaching out to the Pokemon Company/Nintendo; I believe they're open to such requests. The S-Craft artisan people have allegedly been in talks with them.
Ortho. Always.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 14:11:09 »
Looking great!@

Offline Scucka

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 14:46:58 »
Show Image

Show Image

I contacted them don't worry)

Offline Swishy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 15:19:07 »
Like everyone else is saying If you don't get a license/or get things handled or this is as good as dead cause vendors wont work with you and Nintendo will C&D you without hesitation.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 15:48:30 by Swishy »

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:03:12 »
Vilebloom avoided explicitly mentioning “Pokemon” and other trademarked terms. For example, they used phrasing like “PkMn-inspired”, the text novelties said “PKMN”, the pokeballs were abstracted so they didn't look exactly like pokeballs™, and so on. The name itself, Vilebloom, is a combination of two Pokemon names (Vileplume and Gloom), so Vilebloom itself is not a trademarked name. They deliberately went about it in a roundabout way.

I definitely looked up Vilebloom and GMK Hero as well as GMK DEKU when making this set to see what I would be able to get away with. The blatant triforce and pokeball may have raised my expectations a bit. Originally I was going to call it GMK Mudfish but was unsure if people would check it out. I'm not sure how to convey mudkip in novelties without specifically using it's likeness, which is another reason I came here. I knew copyright infringement would be an issue and definitely need alternate ideas if its determined my originals can't be used.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:09:16 »
pokemon gang unite

I was originally going to call it GMK Mudfish and can definitely change it in the future thanks for the advice. Do you have any ideas or worries about the novelties? GMK Vilebloom pretty obviously used a pokeball, including using the names of attacks.

Offline Pach

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:16:02 »
pokemon gang unite

I was originally going to call it GMK Mudfish and can definitely change it in the future thanks for the advice. Do you have any ideas or worries about the novelties? GMK Vilebloom pretty obviously used a pokeball, including using the names of attacks.
They probably won't care if it's not their art, but you should make sure. The Pokemon and maybe Mudkip letter novelties do worry me since, well, they're probably licensed under Nintendo. You could try PKMN or something similar. Changing the set name is also an extra measure you could take to make sure you don't get into any troubles, although I don't know if the name would cause any problems. I'd just suggest to make sure on the highest level possible, these are just my guesses/opinions.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:19:26 »
Like everyone else is saying If you don't get a license/or get things handled or this is as good as dead cause vendors wont work with you and Nintendo will C&D you without hesitation.

May I use Nintendo games/music/graphics/web site contents?

We appreciate the interest in Nintendo and in all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

"Nintendo" is a registered trademark of Nintendo of America Inc. Nintendo owns extensive intellectual property rights in all of its products, including video game systems, game titles, characters, game software, graphics, artwork, and screen shots. Nintendo also retains rights in content on Nintendo's web sites, including articles, artwork, screen shots and other files. Trademarks and copyrights for third-party games and characters are owned by the companies that market or license those products.

While we are grateful for all the requests for permission to use Nintendo properties, we are not able to grant such requests. We receive thousands of requests and we do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline requests for permission for the use of Nintendo properties.

Although we are not able to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

This while not wonderful doesn't make it seem like I can't use their content. It seems like my best course of action would be to make my novelties a bit more stylized and change the name.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:48:24 »
Show Image

Show Image

That’s hilarious, and hey, you’re like kinda the guy. Did you have any opinions or advice you could give? I’d greatly appreciate it thanks!

Offline psxndc

[IC] GMK Mudkip
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 19:04:06 »
Quote from: Ren_Kaos link=topic=105728.msg2888909#msg2888909
This while not wonderful doesn't make it seem like I can't use their content. It seems like my best course of action would be to make my novelties a bit more stylized and change the name.

This is not legal advice and I am not your attorney. If you want legal advice, retain counsel licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. With that out of the way...

Attack names aren't going to be trademarked, so you're safe there. As for everything else, here's a decent rule of thumb: if you do a Google search and the trademarked/copyrighted thing is the first hit, avoid it. "Mudfish" is fine. Stylized novelties are fine.

That all said, this whole thread would be discoverable and evidence against any defense you made that this wasn't derivative of their copyrighted character.

That's not to scare you, that's just the reality. However, unless you start selling tens of thousands of kits, you're probably going to be under the radar and not worth their time. The further removed you make it - calling it mudfish, not using pics of the 'mon and not referencing "Pokemon" - the less likely they're going to come after you.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 19:12:31 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 19:12:18 »
Quote from: Ren_Kaos link=topic=105728.msg2888909#msg2888909

This is not legal advice and I am not your attorney. If you want legal advice, retain counsel in your jurisdiction. With that out of the way...

Attack names aren't going to be trademarked, so you're safe there. As for everything else, here's a decent rule of thumb: if you do a Google search and the trademarked/copyrighted thing is the first hit, avoid it. "Mudfish" is fine. Stylized novelties are fine.

That all said, this whole thread would be discoverable and evidence against any defense you made that this wasn't derivative of their copyrighted character.

I wonder because there are countless Etsy shops selling very obvious reproductions of characters that don’t get taken down. Then there are places like Scraft. I’ll do some research and see what vendors say.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 19:13:29 »
I edited my post to provide more non-advice.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 19:59:59 »
I edited my post to provide more non-advice.

Hey, all advice is welcome and I’m not going to quit! I want this created one way or another.

Offline Auracity

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 21:14:05 »
Very very nice

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 21:23:15 »
Very very nice

Wow, I really appreciate this! Thank you!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 22:38:29 »
Show Image

Show Image

I literally laughed out loud at this.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:07:00 »
Just call the set GMK Midskipper, drop any reference in image or terminology to copyrighted characters, and you’ll be doing what everyone else has done to make a set inspired by the IP of another company.

Also, the “eyes” could use the GMK Dots mold, right?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:55:24 »
Also, the “eyes” could use the GMK Dots mold, right?

I don't think it'd look right if the dot were circular instead of oval.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 17:34:37 »
Hey guys, I'm working pretty hard trying to make the base set and other kits on KLE, but I'm having difficulties when I export as a json. None of my novelties are saving or showing up in http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/. I've zero coding experience so I'm unsure if I've done something wrong or what. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 18:10:42 »
Hey guys, I'm working pretty hard trying to make the base set and other kits on KLE, but I'm having difficulties when I export as a json. None of my novelties are saving or showing up in http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/. I've zero coding experience so I'm unsure if I've done something wrong or what. Any help would be appreciated.

In my experience, the KLE render site is pretty limited in what it can display properly. I would be surprised if it worked with custom legends in the first place.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 19:02:14 »
In my experience, the KLE render site is pretty limited in what it can display properly. I would be surprised if it worked with custom legends in the first place.

Fair enough, how should I go about getting better renders then? When I download the SVG from KLE I don't have my custom legends either. I mostly am just trying to find a workaround to taking the time to organize and render everything in blender.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 01:39:27 »
GMK Mdkp might be a good alternative name.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 03:17:18 »
GMK Mdkp might be a good alternative name.

That's a great idea and I'm totally stealing it. Much appreciated!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Mdkp
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 04:53:29 »
I think GMK Mudskipper would be less conspicuous and more memorable, while being equally as evocative as GMK Mdkp. Oh, and easier to pronounce, too.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 05:34:57 »
I think GMK Mudskipper would be less conspicuous and more memorable, while being equally as evocative as GMK Mdkp. Oh, and easier to pronounce, too.

Perhaps, it'll be something I keep workshopping probably. Something to note however, in the Vilebloom description they reference "Pkmn" a lot, and that's a fairly common type of shortening that's seen within the games which is why it appealed to me immediately.

Offline chrislatiox

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 17:23:32 »
any follow up on this? :o

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 18:48:22 »

Yeah, so I reached out to someone to commission high quality renders but they never got back to me. I’ve been busy and don’t really know who to contact about renders or helping me organize kits. The ic had a fair share or requests and interest but I’m just not sure where I go from here as I’m very new to the whole keeb scene.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 00:19:42 »

Yeah, so I reached out to someone to commission high quality renders but they never got back to me. I’ve been busy and don’t really know who to contact about renders or helping me organize kits. The ic had a fair share or requests and interest but I’m just not sure where I go from here as I’m very new to the whole keeb scene.

Hit up the Keycap Designer Discord and ask there. I'm sure someone there would do some renders for you.

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 00:55:51 »

Hit up the Keycap Designer Discord and ask there. I'm sure someone there would do some renders for you.

Thanks, I’ll do that! But by Keycap Designer discord, do you mean the reddit community or is there another one?

Offline dont_settle

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 01:15:37 »
Adding another name idea: GMK Mudkap

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 03:08:03 »
Adding another name idea: GMK Mudkap

Wow, yes, that seems so obvious. I love it the most so far, thanks!

Offline chrislatiox

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 16:23:36 »

ahh i see, I really want this set to be real, cause I love water type pkmn and mudkip definitely is there  :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 16:54:51 »
Not sure about that light blue on medium blue for legends.  Looks like not enough contrast IRL

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 17:03:01 »
Not sure about that light blue on medium blue for legends.  Looks like not enough contrast IRL

Yeah, I thought that for a second but I don’t think there would be a problem. However, I will print out some tests tho I'm not sure how accurate that will be. Any suggestions for testing contrast in real life applications?.

The pantone colors are

Orange, #FFA637 https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/14-1159-TPG

Blue, #5BB5E3 https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/2190-XGC

Light Blue, #CBDDF3 https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/9401-U
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 17:48:12 by Ren_Kaos »

Offline JDMFanatic

Re: [IC] GMK Mudkap (new renders!)
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 01:09:56 »
any updates? quite like this set

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 05:34:12 »
Consider adding a 2nd B in base if you're going to have the 2.25 and 2.75 spacebars.

Offline antx1701

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 19:23:07 »
I can't see this turning out better than the Blink set, lol.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 19:51:56 »
I can't see this turning out better than the Blink set, lol.
Nah. Black Pink actually uses "blink" - like it's the name of their fan club or something. There's nothing here that is used by the big N.
Ortho. Always.