Author Topic: Good Cover for Unicomp Ultra Classic (Customizer Space Saver?)  (Read 1740 times)

Offline mattlach

Good Cover for Unicomp Ultra Classic (Customizer Space Saver?)
« on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 14:34:45 »
Hey all,

I recently bought a couple of keyboards from Unicomp.   One of them was to replace my deceased Model M 52G9700 which succumbed to a ceiling water leak at work.

Knowing that the building I work in and its weaknesses, I need a good (water proof) cover for my new Unicomp Ultra Classic (previously named Customizer Space Saver, I believe).

Unicomp sells one, but the picture on their store site is terrible, and I can't seem to tell what it looks like, what it's made of, if its water proof, etc.

Does anyone have this cover or care to recommend another cover?

Thanks,
Matt
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Re: Good Cover for Unicomp Ultra Classic (Customizer Space Saver?)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 14:57:25 »
I believe that this cover is a soft type that forms to the keys so that you can type right through it.
Russ

Offline mattlach

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 15:02:12 »
Ahh,  that's interesting.

I have seen those before, and that's not really what I am looking for.

It seems to me that would ruin the key feel all together.

I'd be looking for something good to cover it with when I am not around, just in case the ceiling leaks again :p

IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 15:45:41 »
How 'bout getting your ceiling fixed at work? Is that an option?

Offline Thagarr

• Pirates Ahoy!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 01:47:39 »
If the company mattlach works for is anything like the one that I do, then they simply consider holes in the roof extra ventilation.  :rolleyes:

I have one of those soft covers from Unicomp for my Ultra Classic, and it actually works quite well. There are two ways to use it, you can attach it to the keyboard by removing the backing of the mounting tape, or you can just leave the backing attached and lay on the keyboard for easy removal. It is noticeable while typing, and really does affect the key feel.

I don't know of any that are completely water proof, but THIS one might be more like something you would be interested in.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 09:02:21 »
If the company mattlach works for is anything like the one that I do, then they simply consider holes in the roof extra ventilation.  :rolleyes:

We're in an old building.   They try to patch the roof up, but there is only so much patching that can be done.   The building simply needs a new roof, but its so old and crappy it's probably not worth it.    Company frequently talks about moving to a new building, but every time, management balks at the cost...   Oh well...

I have one of those soft covers from Unicomp for my Ultra Classic, and it actually works quite well. There are two ways to use it, you can attach it to the keyboard by removing the backing of the mounting tape, or you can just leave the backing attached and lay on the keyboard for easy removal. It is noticeable while typing, and really does affect the key feel.

I don't know of any that are completely water proof, but THIS one might be more like something you would be interested in.

That does look interesting, but water might drip down the sides.   I'll have to keep looking.  Thanks for the suggestion though.