Author Topic: [IC] Tind: Reworked - 60% Mekanisk Gasket Mount [RAFFLE 03.07.2020]  (Read 43717 times)

Offline one1wish

Re: [IC] Tind: Reworked - 60% Gasket Mount
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 16:38:47 »
yes please! count me in!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:06:28 »
LeandreN, are you happy with how the ultramarine color came out on the prototype? Is that going to be the final color for the GB?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:08:17 »
LeandreN, are you happy with how the ultramarine color came out on the prototype? Is that going to be the final color for the GB?

Yes it’s the same ultramarine used since July 2019.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:20:00 »

Thanks for the quick reply. From the photos it seems like it would be an almost spot-on match to my GMK Sol Dark set.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 19:17:59 »

Thanks for the quick reply. From the photos it seems like it would be an almost spot-on match to my GMK Sol Dark set.

Yeah it matches really well

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 16:40:51 »
Ok so the latest prototype is in production. We are testing some new stuff, and adding some screws here and there.

Thanks for your patience!

Offline Xemnova

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 02:41:37 »
Looking forward to the next proto update! It already looks and sounds amazing as is. You had mentioned that this board is testing a design for that mounting system that you intend to use on further projects (and I assume update old ones as well), so far is it as you had hoped it would be?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 04:31:11 »
Looking forward to the next proto update! It already looks and sounds amazing as is. You had mentioned that this board is testing a design for that mounting system that you intend to use on further projects (and I assume update old ones as well), so far is it as you had hoped it would be?

Yes, the mounting system is very nice. Especially love it with a CF plate. I think you all are going to love it.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 04:29:11 »

How the raffle form will look. There are currently no decided raffle date, it will be announced here.

Offline Xemnova

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 06:51:55 »
Hype! Can't wait!

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 12:53:57 »
I haven't bought one of these fancy gasket-mounted keyboards before.  If I wanted to replace the PCB/plate with something that supports my layout (JIS), is that a reasonable thing to do or is the plate custom-moulded to this case and thus having my own printed would be likely to yield worse results?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 17:17:18 »
I haven't bought one of these fancy gasket-mounted keyboards before.  If I wanted to replace the PCB/plate with something that supports my layout (JIS), is that a reasonable thing to do or is the plate custom-moulded to this case and thus having my own printed would be likely to yield worse results?

JIS contains a lot of different standards if I am not mistaken. The bottom row on some of these layouts are not supported by the PCB or the plate. You could design your own plate, then get a 60% PCB with daughterboard support and JIS layout support. If that exist.

Offline KeebOnMe

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 18:40:46 »
The keyboard looks great, can't wait!

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 19:18:52 »
JIS contains a lot of different standards if I am not mistaken. The bottom row on some of these layouts are not supported by the PCB or the plate. You could design your own plate, then get a 60% PCB with daughterboard support and JIS layout support. If that exist.

Thanks for the reply.

All that would be required for *basic* JIS support is the ability to swap the right shift key with the Menu/Fn key, so that the 1U appears on the left and the right shift is flush to the right of the keyboard.  That, in combination with the existing ISO support and the split backspace, is enough to get the correct layout for the alphas.

For full JIS support, you would need a smaller space bar configuration to make room for two extra 1U or 1.25U buttons to either side of it, and optionally a third 1U as well.  For example, 1.25U/2.75U/1.25U/1U takes up the same amount of space as a 6.25U space bar and would give you all the keys for both Mac and Windows JIS configurations.

The latter is a big ask, and not many PCBs support it either — some GH60 clones with “minila” style layouts, and that’s about it.  But the former is relatively easy to add to what is otherwise a pretty standard PCB, and I believe also useful for Brazilian users (though I admit I don’t know much about this), so I’d love to see greater mainstream adoption of a “swapped” split right shift in the future.

In the meanwhile, I’m pretty resigned to the fact that JIS support is not going to be common on PCBs for the foreseeable future, so I’m trying to learn what I can about PCB design so that I could design something with JIS support to use myself.  I am still very much in the “no idea what I’m doing” phase of that exploration, though ;-)

I’ll have a look into what goes into designing a PCB with daughterboard support.  How much clearance is there under the PCB in this case to seat the daughterboard? (I presume that’s how this works?)

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 18:16:44 »
I am not rushing any of this. I am waiting for the final prototype before letting people entering the raffle.
This will also be used for detail photos, so you can make a decision on whether you want to enter the raffle or not, based on production photos.

The prototype is estimated to ship next week, and will probably arrive late next week. These times, it is difficult to estimate this, so I ask for your patience regarding this.

Thank you!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 19:31:09 »
I am not rushing any of this. I am waiting for the final prototype before letting people entering the raffle.
This will also be used for detail photos, so you can make a decision on whether you want to enter the raffle or not, based on production photos.

The prototype is estimated to ship next week, and will probably arrive late next week. These times, it is difficult to estimate this, so I ask for your patience regarding this.

Thank you!
Group buys done right! Really excited for this one.

Offline Xemnova

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 21:07:06 »
Can't wait! I really appreciate the updates in both here and the Discord on where things are at, thanks for keeping us in the loop while we all play the waiting game haha

Offline FlitzDeelman

[IC] Tind: Reworked - 60% Gasket Mount
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 00:30:12 »
This Is a fairly basic question I haven’t seen answered. Sorry if I am making people repeat themselves or restate the obviously established. If so, please point me at the existing answer with a URL?

How many years would a gasket last? I know we’re aiming to optimise typing feel, not longevity, I accept that, but I’d like to know what I’m getting. The Fjell / Tind design is pretty ageless, IMO, by the way.

Would buying spares now even help, would the spare not expire alongside the original? Would it make a difference if the spare is shrink-wrapped, is it exposure to air that does it for the gasket, or pressure from being used?

I’m guessing the choice of material makes a big difference here.

If buying a spare now wouldn’t help, how about keeping spares in the store, and maybe also supplying 3d printing plans, if that’s at all feasible?

You can thank the designer of the Fat Boy for putting these thoughts in my head!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 05:35:24 »
This Is a fairly basic question I haven’t seen answered. Sorry if I am making people repeat themselves or restate the obviously established. If so, please point me at the existing answer with a URL?

How many years would a gasket last? I know we’re aiming to optimise typing feel, not longevity, I accept that, but I’d like to know what I’m getting. The Fjell / Tind design is pretty ageless, IMO, by the way.

Would buying spares now even help, would the spare not expire alongside the original? Would it make a difference if the spare is shrink-wrapped, is it exposure to air that does it for the gasket, or pressure from being used?

I’m guessing the choice of material makes a big difference here.

If buying a spare now wouldn’t help, how about keeping spares in the store, and maybe also supplying 3d printing plans, if that’s at all feasible?

You can thank the designer of the Fat Boy for putting these thoughts in my head!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silicone gaskets will last years and years. I always support my products, and will keep them in stock if there is a need for replacements.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 05:49:43 »
Thanks LeandreN.

I don’t doubt that you would support your products. It’s a good reason to buy from Mekanisk or companies like Rama, you’ve been around for a while and look like you will be around even longer. I also like that you refine and improve designs like the Klippe and Fjell.

I’m new to this hobby, and the Klippe T r4 that’s on the way is my first board, by the way. So I’m still asking basic questions.

I also had a hunch silicone would last longer than some other materials around.

I think my question was more generic - there’s a big rush to gasket mounts being part of one-off group buys, but how long would those gaskets last?

It was prompted by the IC thread for the Fat Boy board, designed to be serviceable and hackable (like I said before). I think it has grommets rather than gaskets - is that burger mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 07:02:00 »
I'm not certain you can answer the more generic question, LeandreN, so no need to answer, I was just going off on a tangent.

I think there are many people waiting for the Tind GB, rather spend your time on that!

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [IC] Tind: Reworked - 60% Mekanisk Gasket Mount [RAFFLE OPENS SOON]
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 13:57:55 »
Thanks for your patience! Here is a picture.

Offline Xemnova

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 16:38:54 »
Looks amazing! Great work!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 21:06:50 »
Show Image

Great! Could we get a side profile shot as well?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 03:43:29 »
Show Image

Great! Could we get a side profile shot as well?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:43:23 »
Show Image

Thank you. Again, that color goes with Sol Dark so well.

It looks like the caps are sitting slightly above the side of the case, making for a small gap when viewed from the side like that. Is this due to the mounting method? Is it something that will be fixed in the final version?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:45:00 »
Show Image

Thank you. Again, that color goes with Sol Dark so well.

It looks like the caps are sitting slightly above the side of the case, making for a small gap when viewed from the side like that. Is this due to the mounting method? Is it something that will be fixed in the final version?

They are not above the edge of the case, just looks like it from that angle.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk

Offline chowder266

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 12:42:52 »
fingers crossed, this is a beautiful board

Offline keyboardkrill

Re: [IC] Tind: Reworked - 60% Mekanisk Gasket Mount [RAFFLE 03.07.2020]
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 12:49:26 »
lol, when you think you missed the raffle on March 3rd, but then you realize the date is internationally formatted, and then you feel guilty for being raised on yet another stupid american standard.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:04:04 »
lol, when you think you missed the raffle on March 3rd, but then you realize the date is internationally formatted, and then you feel guilty for being raised on yet another stupid american standard.

A good rule of thumb is to assume that the date isn't in middle-endian (US) format if you see periods used as delimiters instead of slashes :)

The following conventions are the most common:
dd.mm.yyyy (little-endian / European)
mm/dd/yyyy (middle-endian / US)
yyyy-mm-dd (big-endian / ISO)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:14:10 by konstantin »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 11:21:59 »
Really enjoying all the positivity on Geekhack, you guys are great!  :)