Author Topic: [Review/Overview] QWER8 V2 MX Switch Testing Kit – An excellent pre-purchase  (Read 6173 times)

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net
First of all I would like to thank Tim from QWERkeys for sending this out for review and overview!
The kit can be found on their website for £20.

Here’s my video on the QWER8 V2:

The QWER8 V2 MX Switch Testing Kit comes with 8 colour switches:
Red
Blue
Green
Brown
White
Clear
Black
Grey (mine was linear and not clicky)

What’s the point of getting the QWER8 V2?
So you might be asking yourself, why would you spend £20 on a key tester, which effectively doesn’t work without you having to buy a PCB for it to register your key presses.
Well, there’s two reasons really:
1. Novelty – this switch is very well designed, with its brushed aluminium look and clear keys. Clicking away randomly as a stress reliever also is a great reason to buy this switch

2. Testing keys you might not be able to – a lot of people in certain parts of the world (such as US folk) take this as granted; however outside the US I’ve struggled to find places that actively have mechanical keyboards for sale, let alone on display for people to try. Thus you have to invest a minimum of £70 to possibly £150 on a mechanical keyboard, with the possibility of disliking the switch it uses. It thus makes sense, to try before you buy – as switches are extremely subjective.

Speaking of subjective opinions on switches, here’s my brief overview of switches and my opinion of them. There’s no right or wrong – as it’s all subjective, but the general concensus agrees with what’s said below:
RTS gaming:
Black: 60g — Stiff — Used for RTS games

Combination:
Brown: 45g — Mid ground
Clear: 65g — Stiffer than Brown (Note: the actuation force is debated on the internet between 55g and 65g)
Grey (Linear): 80g Used as space bar on clear boards

Typing:
Blue: 50g — Clicky — Used for typing
Green: 80g – Stiffer than blue with clicky sound — sometimes used as spacebar on Blue switch keyboards
White: 80g — like green, but more silent

FPS Gaming:
Red: 45g — Lightweight, very soft — FPS gamers

A more in-depth guide can be found on Overclock.net and KeyboardCo

Would I recommend the QWER8 V2 and would you buy it?
Definitely. I would have gotten it for curiosity over the less common switches that are on it (Green, White, Grey and Clear) and furthermore gotten it for novelty.
Furthermore, you can put a PCB under it and even put in LED diodes in order to have a mini illuminated Key Tester (something I’m definitely thinking of).

Since I’ve gotten it, I’ve been using it as a fun stress reliever and even educated quite a handful of people on the different switches that exist in mechanical keyboards.

In all honesty, I love it and can’t see why I didn’t have it before. I honestly recommend it. If you’re either a pro mechanical user or new to mechanical keyboards – this is definitely a must buy.
In short: A fun geeky toy to have laying on your desk.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures & my review/overview!
-Totally Dubbed
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 06:18:54 by TotallydubbedHD »
Currently own a Logitech G710+ (Brown) at home and a CM Quick Fire XT (Brown) at work!
I've owned the Perixx PX-5000 (Black).
I have a QWER8 V2 Switch testing kit that I fiddle with :D

Offline Coreda

(I have no idea why it doesn't embed! :( )

Remove the 's' from https:\\  :thumb:

Now you've done the review of the unit what was your favorite feel of switch?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I have the original 6 switch version - a fantastic unit!

They also make a great display unit for custom keycaps - some of my favourites are on mine on my desk in front of me at the moment :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net

thanks buddy! That works - now the alignment is completely screwed lol

As for my favourite switch - I would have to say Blue - simply due to the audible click.
However, if I were to bash keys on it daily - I think it would drive me insane. So browns are my go-to, with O-Rings on them too!

-Red felt too soft
-Black too stiff and linear
-Green, grey, white, clear all a little too heavy
-Blue excellent and lovely but loud
-Brown perfect
Currently own a Logitech G710+ (Brown) at home and a CM Quick Fire XT (Brown) at work!

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net

They also make a great display unit for custom keycaps - some of my favourites are on mine on my desk in front of me at the moment :)

Indeedy!
It is currently sitting in front of me - le pic attached!
Every now and then I just do a "wave" click on it  :p

Offline ceflame

As for my favourite switch - I would have to say Blue - simply due to the audible click.
However, if I were to bash keys on it daily - I think it would drive me insane. So browns are my go-to, with O-Rings on them too!

-Red felt too soft
-Brown perfect

So there is no middle ground for you with linear switches?! I'm guessing you just like some tactile response, but dislike pushing too hard?

£20 is a pretty hefty investment for a switch tester, but I guess you need to spend SOME money at least to try out some of the more rare switches. Great review by the way, I actually hadn't thought of putting a PCB and adding LEDs onto it. Maybe not practical, but it would be a nice little thing to sit on display somewhere.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
There's more differences between MX Clear and MX Brown, not just the actuation force. :P
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net

-Red felt too soft
-Brown perfect

So there is no middle ground for you with linear switches?! I'm guessing you just like some tactile response, but dislike pushing too hard?

£20 is a pretty hefty investment for a switch tester, but I guess you need to spend SOME money at least to try out some of the more rare switches. Great review by the way, I actually hadn't thought of putting a PCB and adding LEDs onto it. Maybe not practical, but it would be a nice little thing to sit on display somewhere.

Indeed it is a little hefty - but for me the novelty on its own is great - plus it is actually practical.
Ie. if a friend wants a mech keyboard I can say here: try this out - see what you prefer.
I've already shown it to my work colleague that have no idea about mech kbs and now they know a little bit more :)

There's more differences between MX Clear and MX Brown, not just the actuation force. :P

Well there's a little more to it - but the actuation force, as a typist and FPS gamer is a huge deal for me

Offline ceflame

What other differences are there? There's been a recent craze for boards with clear switches and I'm curious.

Ie. if a friend wants a mech keyboard I can say here: try this out - see what you prefer.
I've already shown it to my work colleague that have no idea about mech kbs and now they know a little bit more :)

Yes! that is probably one of the best uses for these switch testers. Conversion of the masses, make people understand our obsessions.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 07:08:56 by ceflame »

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net

What other differences are there? There's been a recent craze for boards with clear switches and I'm curious.

Yes! that is probably one of the best uses for these switch testers. Conversion of the masses, make people understand our obsessions.

"Larger tactile bump helps you know when the switch has actuated, can be useful for typing or holding the switch above the actuation point for gaming, many find the tactile bump more useful than the one found in an MX Brown"
source from OCN

It to me is a slightly heavier brown with a mid-click feeling.
Better for people typing - no idea why people would prefer it for gaming.

Offline ceflame

Seems like people use any switch for gaming. I think sometimes people just haven't tried all available options due to availability or financial issues.

I'm not too sure about the preference of using Clears for gaming. Though
holding the switch above the actuation point for gaming
does seem like something that some people would like. Maybe for rhythm games (osu/stepmania).

Offline UnlikeAny

I think that if I get one, I will only get a slight idea of how these switches feel. Because you can't type or try to wasd with just 1 key, you won't experience it fully.

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net
Seems like people use any switch for gaming. I think sometimes people just haven't tried all available options due to availability or financial issues.

I'm not too sure about the preference of using Clears for gaming. Though
holding the switch above the actuation point for gaming
does seem like something that some people would like. Maybe for rhythm games (osu/stepmania).

I have no idea why people buy blacks personally - apart from pure RTS gaming.
But it's all subjective at the end of the day :)
We all love each other who uses mech switches!

I think that if I get one, I will only get a slight idea of how these switches feel. Because you can't type or try to wasd with just 1 key, you won't experience it fully.

Indeed I did find that a slight problem, but comparing even with one finger give you a huge idea of how it should SOUND and feel like.
At least that's what I experienced :)
I knew all the basic 4 switches reasonably well, but it had been a long time since I tried a red switch.
And trying it again, re-affirmed my previous thought of it being "too soft for my liking"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I read your text and was really worried but I'm glad you emphasized how much switch selection is a personal choice. I believe that switches can be used for anything as long as your comfortable with it so I've played Borderlands 2 on Buckling Spring boards, Diablo 3 on Blue Alps board, and StarCraft 2 on MX Blues. And I feel just as comfortable writing other things with those boards.

I do wish that you had done all the sound tests with the keycaps on because that's hwo the switches will sound in use. Different keycaps will cause the sound of the switch to change.

Nice review for people getting into mechanical keyboards. A bit too heavy on the Gaming VS Typing this but that's more of a pet peeve than a shortcoming on your end.

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net
I read your text and was really worried but I'm glad you emphasized how much switch selection is a personal choice. I believe that switches can be used for anything as long as your comfortable with it so I've played Borderlands 2 on Buckling Spring boards, Diablo 3 on Blue Alps board, and StarCraft 2 on MX Blues. And I feel just as comfortable writing other things with those boards.

I do wish that you had done all the sound tests with the keycaps on because that's hwo the switches will sound in use. Different keycaps will cause the sound of the switch to change.

Nice review for people getting into mechanical keyboards. A bit too heavy on the Gaming VS Typing this but that's more of a pet peeve than a shortcoming on your end.
haha glad you enjoyed it! Indeed after I made the video I thought, might be best with the keycaps on. In fact I'm going to make a video right now with all those switches with and without black orings, I'll edit the video to make it a smooth video. I'll link it here when it's complete! :)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot

I'm glad I got a switch tester, it made me realize how much I dislike the sound of blue/green switches despite all the love they seem to get. The click they produce, to my ears, sounds cheap and artificial. This was confirmed once I actually got to type on a board with blues. Before trying them on a switch tester I was seriously debating getting a Filco with blues.

It also gave me a nudge in the direction of clears, which have now become my new obsession. I thought it felt decent enough on the switch tester that I figured it was worth buying a bag of them from mk. I immediately fell in love and without having tried them on the tester I don't know that I would have made that leap of faith.

Point being, I think testers have value. I totally agree with you that they definitely don't come close to conveying the experience of typing on a full keyboard using that switch, but they can help give some rough direction. You're not going to get one and go "damn, browns are now my end game switch", but they can certainly help get you pointed in the general vicinity of what you might like.

If I hadn't already purchased the CM tester, I would definitely have picked up the QWER8. The bent stainless plate is very cool. Maybe I'll pick one up to display some of my novelty keys  :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:33:40 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline UnlikeAny

You guys talked me into it. I think I will get this or something similar before buying my second keyboard. I would also like to test some other switches, though. Not just cherries.

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net
You guys talked me into it. I think I will get this or something similar before buying my second keyboard. I would also like to test some other switches, though. Not just cherries.

Unfortunately this switch tester is only Cherry MX.
That said you do get to try 4 which are not as widely seen or found.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Unfortunately this switch tester is only Cherry MX.
That said you do get to try 4 which are not as widely seen or found.
But these testers can in fact house Alps switches as well. They will just be a little loose.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tbc

no way bro!

67359-0

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline TotallydubbedHD

• Reviewer
    • Totallydubbed.net

no way bro!

(Attachment Link)
haha nice bro