Author Topic: Need advice on Retrobrite  (Read 1240 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
Need advice on Retrobrite
« on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 15:51:31 »
Hello.

I have two moogle kits from BTC-53's (didn't got the second one yet tho) that i'm using/swapping on a Capacitive plate mounted & pcb domes Chicony-kb5161, just because the profiles are better for me and they feel better on corners.

So, they're SO yellow. I was thinking about painting them, because I want them blank white, but wouldn't mind trying to clean. I always read about dental tablet* and such.
They're pad printed. So, if the dental floss or any other metod could remove the printing, it would be a total bonus.

So, here's my questions:

• How exactly the dental floss method works? (Amount of liquid, amount of dental tablets, tablet brand or type, time submerged, brushing, etc)
    Will it remove pad printing? If not, how could I remove it?. I'm not sanding any key, that's just dumb. Also wouldn't want to use a uncontrollable solvent or such.

I would also like to make the case cleaner, it's a full size 2 piece screwed case. How can I do it?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2014, 17:14:28 by ianxblog »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Need advice on Retrobrite
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 16:26:20 »
First, the dental floss mod is where you put a 1 cm length of dental floss in the spring of a buckling spring keyboard to quieten it.

Retr0-brite is a process of mixing harsh chemicals (especially bad for the eyes) and exposing the plastic to sunlight.

Apparently, a couple of decades ago, it was popular to mix bromine into ABS plastic for fire-retardance, and it caused the plastic to yellow over time.

I have tried it several times with a couple of resounding successes, several partial failures, and many total failures.

The trick is probably getting the chemical mixture into a nice gel that does not dry too fast, and exposing it to good strong sunlight for several hours.

As far as removing pad printing, you will probably have to abrade it. If I were doing it, I would use my electric eraser, but I am an old man and only an old-school architect, draftsman, or artist is likely to own one, so try a buffing pad on your Dremel instead.

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2014, 16:32:30 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 17:14:51 »
First, the dental floss mod is where you put a 1 cm length of dental floss in the spring of a buckling spring keyboard to quieten it.

Retr0-brite is a process of mixing harsh chemicals (especially bad for the eyes) and exposing the plastic to sunlight.

Apparently, a couple of decades ago, it was popular to mix bromine into ABS plastic for fire-retardance, and it caused the plastic to yellow over time.

I have tried it several times with a couple of resounding successes, several partial failures, and many total failures.

The trick is probably getting the chemical mixture into a nice gel that does not dry too fast, and exposing it to good strong sunlight for several hours.

As far as removing pad printing, you will probably have to abrade it. If I were doing it, I would use my electric eraser, but I am an old man and only an old-school architect, draftsman, or artist is likely to own one, so try a buffing pad on your Dremel instead.

Sorry, I meant dental tablet!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 17:21:09 »
tablets take off the grime but won't take away yellowing from old age