Author Topic: A look at the Team Wolf Zhuque+ keyboard with swappable switches  (Read 16755 times)

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
A look at the Team Wolf Zhuque+ keyboard with swappable switches
« on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 06:21:53 »
I just received my Team Wolf Zhuque+ TKL keyboard and swapped the switches with Gateron browns (modded with transparent tops), and changed the included keycaps to Vortex doubleshot PBT/POM keycaps. A look at the keyboard and my modifications:

http://trauring.org/a-keyboard-with-swappable-switches/

Philip

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: A look at the Team Wolf Zhuque+ keyboard with swappable switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:05:25 »
We've got a review section for this kind of stuff but it's an interesting board so nice to see a write up on it.
I love Elzy

Offline saxophone

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:13:42 »
Have you tried ripping out the internals from gateron switch and stuffing that into the gaote ones that comes with the keyboard?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 19:51:36 »
Very well done review +1.

I just wish someone can do a review of the full size RGB team wolf Vod Ray version, along with its RGB capabilities, as well if you can select more than 5-8 RGB brightness levels by holding down the keys instead of just tapping.  I could see myself getting too bored with the fixed color scheme on the Zhuque TKL version real fast (even though its a decent preset).

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 01:21:24 »
We've got a review section for this kind of stuff but it's an interesting board so nice to see a write up on it.

Sorry, thank you for moving it to the right place.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 01:24:40 »
Have you tried ripping out the internals from gateron switch and stuffing that into the gaote ones that comes with the keyboard?

Um, no. So the switch would fit over the LED? I actually had no problem getting the standard Gateron switch to fit, so no need to try transplanting the internals.

Just to see, however, I took a look at the Gaote switches and they don't work with the switch opener I have, so it wouldn't be so simple to do.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 01:28:22 »
Very well done review +1.

I just wish someone can do a review of the full size RGB team wolf Vod Ray version, along with its RGB capabilities, as well if you can select more than 5-8 RGB brightness levels by holding down the keys instead of just tapping.  I could see myself getting too bored with the fixed color scheme on the Zhuque TKL version real fast (even though its a decent preset).

Thanks. As I mentioned in the post, the backlighting is a little distracting with the keycaps I used. I might even swap the alphanumeric keycaps for ones that don't show the backlighting. Considering how much time I spent swapping the switch tops to transparent tops to allow more light through, it's a bit annoying to cover them up, but I can always remove those transparent tops and reuse them with another project if I need them.

Offline saxophone

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:57:22 »
Interesting part: If you disassemble the keyboard you'll notice that there's an full plastic board attached to the top plate, and then 4 screws attaching the bottom metal casing to the board.
If you're a minimalist person or simply only want to lower the keyboard height you could simply get rid of the metal case.

127654-0
127656-1
127658-2

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:29:47 »
Tell you what, if the font on the keycaps was not so obnoxious, I would be all over this.  But the font is so obnoxious, I'm not all over this.  But I'm sure Team Wolf has enough buyers all over this, they are doing alright.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:40:28 »
The Zhuque and the Void Ray are now on Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon with Prime too. Officially mainstream now.
They haven't figured out how to do product options it seems, so there a lot of them with varying switch color in the titles...

Here's one of the Zhuque listings:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFBJQA8

And here we have the Void Ray RGB Black switch:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AL98MUY

There is also a firmware update for the Void Ray that fixes the crashing and resets when the lighting is used.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:44:08 by dtaflorida »

Offline J-Bird

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 23:48:18 »
I've just got myself this keyboard. Thank you for your extensive review, @Trauring! (Although I actually found it and read it only after placing the order.)

As it's been 2 years already since you got yours, could you (very briefly) say if you ran into any issues with it over this time, and if so, what were they?