Author Topic: Sonnet or Zoom 75, help me choose  (Read 2366 times)

Offline keymaven

Sonnet or Zoom 75, help me choose
« on: Sat, 21 October 2023, 20:50:10 »
I want to build a 75 and narrowed it down to these two. Anyone here have either of these? The overall value of the Zoom 75 is a little better since you get more features, but my first keyboard build was a Mode and I love the feel of it and not gonna lie the RGB on the Zoom is attractive to me since I have never tried it out. Would love some feedback from the experts.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2023, 20:52:23 by keymaven »

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Sonnet or Zoom 75, help me choose
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 19:52:03 »
The sonnet and zoom75 are completely different products and have different use cases.

I see the zoom75 as a great entry level option, but for a endgame/high end build it's not the play personally.

I have heard that the mode sonnet isn't the best and is not very good value wise but It does fit a certain aesthetic and if you like the look, Can't blame you for that. Plus it's probably a better quality than the zoom75 even if it's a lot cheaper. I haven't tried both of them so keep in mind.

I don't know much about high end options about 75%, generally not a layout I keep up to date with new boards. It really does depend on what you want since they are very different things. But value/budget - zoom, more higher end - sonnet I guess.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 05:22:38 »
The Sonnet is definitely high end, depending on build options (Copper and Brass give obviously better sound and heft) can get into "luxury" category. It's a beautiful object too, fit and finish is top notch (I have one of the early GB models, dunno if Mode kept that level of quality).
Zoom75 is more utilitarian, and reasonable given the price difference.
It's a bit like watches really, maybe not that extreme but if you get a Casio G-Shock you get a very useful and solid watch for little money, but some people will prefer a Grand Seiko, Omega or Rolex because they are beautiful and well made. I get the difference between these keyboards is not that huge (more like mid-range vs high-range) but you get the idea :) Reason vs luxury...

Offline keymaven

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 18:19:04 »
Thanks fellas, this was kind of how I was breaking it out in my mind, so I appreciate the validation. I have a Mode Envoy but want a 75 layout as well. The Envoy is SUPER nice, heavy and the finish and build quality is top notch so I don't think they have skimped since you got your Mode keyboard. Mode IMO definitely strattles that luxe look and feel...I think the overall attraction to the Zoom is all the lights and screens, and positive feedback online about them seems like alot of value for the money. 

End of the day I lean towards Mode because that was my first keyboard and I love it.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 23:21:59 »
Thanks fellas, this was kind of how I was breaking it out in my mind, so I appreciate the validation. I have a Mode Envoy but want a 75 layout as well. The Envoy is SUPER nice, heavy and the finish and build quality is top notch so I don't think they have skimped since you got your Mode keyboard. Mode IMO definitely strattles that luxe look and feel...I think the overall attraction to the Zoom is all the lights and screens, and positive feedback online about them seems like alot of value for the money. 

End of the day I lean towards Mode because that was my first keyboard and I love it.

The only reason why I found the zoom75 interesting is the price and a screen that isn't those small matrix ones. Which ever one you get if you need build recs I and many others won't mind helping you out :)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline keymaven

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 07:29:42 »

The only reason why I found the zoom75 interesting is the price and a screen that isn't those small matrix ones. Which ever one you get if you need build recs I and many others won't mind helping you out :)

thank you! Still noodling on it. Leaning Mode!