Author Topic: Frog TKL - Can't decide on plate  (Read 1670 times)

Offline coelacanth

• cheesed to meet you 💪😎
Frog TKL - Can't decide on plate
« on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 17:10:20 »
I have the leaf spring aluminium plate that came with the kit and then an extra fr4 half plate. I originally thought I would use the half plate but upon looking into it further some people claim it feels 'inconsistent.' I know aluminium is hard to go wrong with and it all comes down to preference, but could anyone give me a little more insight on what each plate's pros and cons are?
Geonworks Frog F13 TKL | Gateron <3  —  1984 Volvo 240 DL 2l OG Redblock Owner 

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Frog TKL - Can't decide on plate
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 18:13:54 »
This guy probably can inform you about plates:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline coelacanth

• cheesed to meet you 💪😎
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 18:53:35 »
This guy probably can inform you about plates:
Haha, I'm in his discord server already! Thanks for recommendation though :thumb:

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 20:31:31 »
I can't say specifically for the Frog since I got the 8K version & the alum plate it has is not leaf spring. Although overall I'd say the full alum leaf spring plate will for sure give you a more consistent & softer feel over the whole board, also more consistent sound. The FR4 half plate will give a less consistent feel & sound between the alphas & everything else just by it's nature, also I suspect it would have a stiffer feel overall since it does not have the leaf spring cuts. IME half plate is best used with a boards that have stiffer mounts, as at least the alphas will feel a little softer. The trade off there is inconsistent feel & sound between the alphas & everything else IME.

Edit: I should mention we're not talking huge inconsistencies when using half plates, the alphas will feel a bit softer & sound a bit deeper than the switches that are in the plate part is all. Just was pointing out that by it's nature a half plate will introduce inconsistencies between the alpha plateless section & the plated sections.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 November 2023, 20:36:30 by Rob27shred »

Offline coelacanth

• cheesed to meet you 💪😎
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 22:33:00 »
Yeah that's fair. I think what concerns me the most is that FR4 as a plate material often dulls the sound of the board and can feel a bit... dead? I think with something as nice as the Frog, a board that has a lot of character in it's sound profile, I wouldn't want to dampen that.

I understand that half plates by nature are inconsistent in feel, just wanted more opinions on it specifically in the Frog TKL.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 11:08:21 »
Yeah that's fair. I think what concerns me the most is that FR4 as a plate material often dulls the sound of the board and can feel a bit... dead? I think with something as nice as the Frog, a board that has a lot of character in it's sound profile, I wouldn't want to dampen that.

I understand that half plates by nature are inconsistent in feel, just wanted more opinions on it specifically in the Frog TKL.

Gotcha, like I said I own the Frog 8K & it only comes with a no leaf spring alum plate so I can't say specifically for the Frog TKL.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 09:58:38 »
I had a Frog TKL - two builds, one with alu and with POM and I think alu was slightly better feel with linears.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::