Author Topic: Stabilizer issues after installing custom plate  (Read 1709 times)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Stabilizer issues after installing custom plate
« on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 08:27:01 »
When I installed a WFD plate on my filco (slightly lower than the OG one, I believe), I began to notice increased friction with the spacebar stabilizer. After lubing the normal places (the wire where it makes contact with the clips, the inside of the little white thingies), the problem didn't go away. It's getting so bad that the mx clear (with stock springs) under the spacebar sometimes even gets caught and will stick. I think this is caused by the stabilizer sitting differently on the custom plate, and the wire rubbing against the inside of the keycap, since even after lubing all normal friction points, the problem still persists. It's really getting to be a nuisance, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a solution. Should I try replace the clips? The wire? Switch to cherry stabs?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Findecanor

Re: Stabilizer issues after installing custom plate
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 08:34:52 »
Check these things:
* Have the stabiliser clips snapped to the plate correctly? Maybe you would have to nudge them with a flat screwdriver so that there is enough space.
* Are the small stems in the correct orientation on the underside of the keycap?
🍉

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 08:37:47 »
I've already tried adjusting the clips and flipping around the white things, all to no avail.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 11:51:29 »
Would cherry stabs even be compatible with a WFD plate?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 13:01:32 »
Would cherry stabs even be compatible with a WFD plate?

Yes, Cherry plate mount stabs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 13:16:47 »
I might just try those...I can't really think of anything else to try besides replacing the stabilizer entirely.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 16:10:20 »
I had this issue also when I first changed my plate on my Filco. Are you using the aluminum one or steel? The newer steel ones are slightly loose and wobble around so I don't see why you'd have this issue unless your stabilizer are slightly squashed inwards. The aluminum one was slightly tighter, and naturally bent my stabilizers inwards, so I had to stretch them out with my fingers. This and lube fixed the problem, and now I have perfectly working stabilizers. You might also want to try this. What you want to do is, get the stabilizers out, stretch them slightly outwards so the two arms are slightly outwards or at least perpendicular to each other. Then when you place them into the plate, make sure they are still at least perpendicular, apply some lube, and should fix the problem. If not, then the chances are, the plate may be a lil' too tight on the stabilizer, in which case, you may want to change to different stabilizer pieces because they don't all seem to be the same size. 

Cherry mount stabilizers would be a definitive solution, but then you'd have to change to something different, which isn't always the best thing (depending on your preference).
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2014, 16:17:14 by VesperSAINT »

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 16:13:45 »
Yes, I believe I have the alu one, and the plastic clips look a little squished last time I took them out. I'm not at home right now, but I'll definitely try that fix. Thanks for the advice! I knew you were the right person to ask ;)