Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage Bottom Row  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Kinesis Advantage Bottom Row
« on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 04:52:47 »
This is a Call for Pictures.

I'm having trouble getting used to the placement of the bottom row on my Kinesis.
Not only do I find those keys pretty hard to reach, I also (yes, contradictory) press them accidentally when looking for the row between. For example I press <- a lot when trying to press 'c'.

This is why it would be nice if some of you could take a little picture or video that shows your hand positioning. Maybe I'm doing something wrong to make it feel so awkward.

Hope somebody will take the time. :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 04:56:31 »
Hope this will help

There are several videos in yotube as well. Check this out [url]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCYQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSDBA4Z4JVoc&ei=-hspT76YOYWriAeqidzEAg&usg=AFQjCNFUbGXwIaJHzWfpLfpb2lhUwyeyNQ[\url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2012, 05:06:07 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 05:05:58 »

i've flipped my bottom row so that i do not get accidental presses cuz of the way the keycaps are structured, the bottom row doesn't "curve" with the keywell and is almost like it's own separate section, and yea i can move fluidly to it like i'm making a fist action.

be warned if you do this, you'll need to shave a few mm off of the kinesis as the flipping doesn't make it fit, i just used trusty x-acto.

Offline boli

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 05:28:55 »
Icarium (nice name BTW, greets from Mappo), you're likely not doing anything wrong, it just takes a little time to get used to a matrix layout. Give it a week or two and you might find anything else weird. :)

Interesting mod Lanx.

Fixed the link cactux provided:
[video=youtube;SDBA4Z4JVoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBA4Z4JVoc[/video]

The picture cactux posted looks pretty much how I use it too. You can find hi-res versions at the Kinesis Media site, including a side view:
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2012, 05:34:06 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline erw

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 05:57:55 »
Agree with boli: Give it time. I used to hit them accidentally all the time in the beginning as well, but now I think it's pretty good to have the keys nearby :-)
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 08:52:25 »
Agreed. The first two weeks for me were very frustrating, as I make frequent use of the brace and bracket keys, as well as the tilde. Now the row feels pretty awesome, and the arrow key placement is good as well. I hit these keys no problem. As per suggestions of others on this forum, I did swap my UP arrow with the DOWN arrow, as it felt more natural, and reduced a lot of cursor movement mistakes.

My biggest gripe so far is that due to some of the thumb key mappings changed, I accidentally hit home and end once in a while. I need to find a better place for them. They're close to my backspace key, which gets constant use.

How long have you been typing on the Advantage, Icarium?

Quote from: erw;505111
Agree with boli: Give it time. I used to hit them accidentally all the time in the beginning as well, but now I think it's pretty good to have the keys nearby :-)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 10:01:56 »
I got it a week or two ago so there is still hope. ;)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.