Author Topic: Firmware update breaks Linux's numlock on a Truly Ergonomic Keyboard  (Read 2144 times)

Offline sparhawk

Hi,

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware (v3) for my 209 Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. Previously, the numlock key worked fine. Now, it still works, but also lowers the volume on my computer. From `xev`, I can see that the numlock key is sending out keycode 122 (XF86AudioLowerVolume), which is identical to Fn+F11. However, only the numlock key lights the LED and changes the functionality of the ten-key block.

I've tested on two different computers running different Linux desktop environments, and I can replicate it in both Kubuntu and Xubuntu. I've also tried using the keyboard in a Mac environment, and a Windows system. In both cases, the numlock key worked as expected. Further, I tried `xev` in the Mac computer, and it didn't register any of the keys (i.e. numlock, volume up and volume down).

I am aware of custom firmware modifications in the other thread, but I'm a little wary, since there was one report of bricking the keyboard. Is there a software solution to this problem? I've tried emailing the company, but (unsurprisingly) they haven't really replied. (Actually, surprisingly, they did reply once, but it wasn't useful.)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Re: Firmware update breaks Linux's numlock on a Truly Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 08:43:45 »
My friend,

Take this as an advice from a scholar in electronics;

There's three things in electronics you do not update until you really, absolutely need to or if you are 100% sure it'll fix a certain issue:

- Computer BIOS
- Network device firmware (such as Router and Switches)
- Input firmware (Such as my old K90, updating the firmware stucked all the macro keys to squwigly)

Now i believe you should revert to v2 or previous and it'll most probably fix up your problem.

How about you tell me why you updated at first? Most probably you did because you're a smart person who has the very nice consciousness of updating his electronics in order to maintain them in good shape right? That's true for everything except the three little things i've stated above.

Anyway i hope you can fix this issue man because no numpad on a full-size is a ****ty situation i totally feel your pain.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Yuri Khan

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:07:59 »
From `xev`, I can see that the numlock key is sending out keycode 122 (XF86AudioLowerVolume)
[…]
Is there a software solution to this problem?

The strictly software solution is to edit your xkb/keycodes/evdev file and comment out the <VOL-> = 122 line, then re-login. But this will also disable your Fn+F11 key.

You can also rearrange the mapping of keycodes in that file. E.g.:
Code: [Select]
<MUTE> = 123; // was <VOL+>
<VOL+> = 121; // was <MUTE>
<VOL-> = 171; // was <I171> KEY_NEXTSONG
<I171> = 172; // was <I172> KEY_PLAYPAUSE
<I172> = 173; // was <I173> KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
<I173> = 179; // was <I179> KEY_CONFIG

This way, your Fn+Fkeys row will look like this:

… | Calc PrevSong PlayPause NextSong | Vol− Vol+ None Mute | Eject

Offline sparhawk

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:20:42 »
Anyway i hope you can fix this issue man because no numpad on a full-size is a ****ty situation i totally feel your pain.
That's not exactly my problem. As per the OP, the numpad *does* work, but has extra functionality.

How about you tell me why you updated at first?
I updated on advice from the manufacturer. This was an attempt to fix the problem with missing (or double) keystrokes, although it didn't help.

Now i believe you should revert to v2 or previous and it'll most probably fix up your problem.
That's probably good advice. I'm not sure that any of the advantages of v3 really affect me anyway. After struggling with xkb for about 20 hours, I'm actually tempted to use Yuri Khan's firmware customiser in any case. I've got an askubuntu question going, since I can't totally understand xkb, but at some point my patience will run out and I might end up with modifying the firmware.

Offline sparhawk

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:23:08 »
But this will also disable your Fn+F11 key.

Okay, I guess that essentially means that Truly Ergonomic's firmware is incorrect. I'll either reflash with v2 or your utility. Thanks for the response.