Author Topic: ErgoDox w/ 80 keys (switches with built-in diodes)  (Read 2598 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
ErgoDox w/ 80 keys (switches with built-in diodes)
« on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:18:22 »
I've just rebuilt my ErgoDox, so for future reference…

My setup:
  • the Massdrop kit and a PVC case from czarek
  • 80 PCB-mount switches w/ built-in diodes (simple wires)
  • thick Cherry keycaps harvested from a G81 (1.25x modifiers w/ off-center stems)

Why you should use diodes inside switches? It takes up less space than through-hole diodes, it's much easier to solder than SMD (for a noob like me), and finally, you don't have to care about their direction in case of simple wires. There are two tricky parts about them though:
  • The three switches with LEDs (in the inner column) would require external diodes, but if you don't need/want lights (you wouldn't be able to open switches without soldering then), it's entirely possible to simply ignore them.
  • If you want more than 76 keys, i.e. two 1x keys instead of any 2x in the thumb cluster, you have to open these up to 8 switches, remove the diodes from them, and put normal diodes (SMD or through-hole) on the PCB.

Also, 1.25x G81 modifiers with off-center stems fit just  fine into 1.5x positions.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: ErgoDox w/ 80 keys (switches with built-in diodes)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:21:51 »
Interesting observations. I may do the same with all my many parts I have acquired.

Any thoughts about painting the PVC case?

Offline echo0

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:23:51 »
Thanks for sharing.  I ordered a PVC case from czarek and PCBs from MechanicalKeyboards.  Once I gather all the parts, will do the same.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 19:23:34 »
Don't forget that the diodes on the left keyboard need to be pointing in the opposite direction or you would have to reprogram the firmware to flip rows/columns on the left side.

• If you want more than 76 keys, i.e. two 1x keys instead of any 2x in the thumb cluster, you have to open these up to 8 switches, remove the diodes from them, and put normal diodes (SMD or through-hole) on the PCB.
Unfortunately, those other diodes would be under the plate (if you use one). I would solder both diodes for each 2× key in advance in case I would want to change things in the future.

Also, 1.25x G81 modifiers with off-center stems fit just  fine into 1.5x positions.
The 1.25× keys will not be the same on the other side, though...

Another interesting thing I noticed with G81 keyboards is that 2× sized thin-walled PBT keys have legs in the corners. If you don't use a plate, then those legs will land on the PCB, and the key won't wobble when bottoming out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 02:10:45 »
Unfortunately, those other diodes would be under the plate (if you use one). I would solder both diodes for each 2× key in advance in case I would want to change things in the future.
I don't (because there's none that supports 80 keys), but I always put these diodes on the bottom, not top, i.e. SMDs are unaffected.