Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167224 times)

Offline Game Theory

Though the creation of the svg isn't easy...  Since the incremental cost of letting some other community use it after its created is negligible, I'd prefer if its liberally/widely shared.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Guys, only 12 keys left for a tenkeyless a layout!!!  This is incredible!!  Thanks to everyone's support!

Remaining tenkeyless legends:

6, 7
-_
O, U
Page Up, Page Down,
Arrows: Up, Down, Left, Right
Tab

That's it!  Oh, and the naming right!  High bid is still at $100.

Offline dirge

Ill do a UK region specific 2 ;)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline litster

Some one adopt the poor numpads!  Where are the 104 fanatics?

Offline litster

Quote from: dirge;538783
Ill do a UK region specific 2 ;)

What does it look like?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
my name is humorously misspelled in the OP

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline litster

Fixed.  Sorry about that.

Offline jinzo.pk3

did u miss my post? #104:
I'll take: Arrows: Up, Down, Left, Right

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
Do,I get "Tab"?

Offline litster

Sorry jinzo.pk3, I did miss your post.  You are in now.  net2522, you got tab!  Thanks.

7 keys left for tenkeyless:

6, 7
-_
U
O
Page Up, Page Down

and the poor numpad!  adopt the numpad keys!  Or they will be euthanized!  Please help them!  Or you won't have your numpad add on kits later.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
I'll take the 7 key then :)

Offline litster

Quote from: duq;538824
I'll take the 7 key then :)

7 is awesome.  Because 7 ate 9!

EDIT: list updated.  6 keycaps to go for tenkeyless!
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2012, 02:52:20 by litster »

Offline Vornath

Numpad 5

Offline Zehkul

Numpad . !
And I'll take row 4 y and row 2 z to work towards a Nordic Kit!

Offline Glukos

Quote from: whiskerBox;538308
How much to adopt an L?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
I wonder what took us so long to do thus. We could be having better fonts for a ton of GBs! Also holy crap we're adopting faster than angelina jolie.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline agor

So what about a generic ISO set? UK preferably? I'd probably adopt the ISO Enter key as its the most important one if there is enough iso interest
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Once the entire set of legends is adopted and created, may I suggest a Red Alert clone?

The one set I have is insufficient!

:)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Oh yeah also i would like to be on the svg making commitie

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Can i get the letter "O"

thanks
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Quote from: litster;538800
Sorry jinzo.pk3, I did miss your post.  You are in now.  net2522, you got tab!  Thanks.

7 keys left for tenkeyless:

6, 7
-_
U
O
Page Up, Page Down

and the poor numpad!  adopt the numpad keys!  Or they will be euthanized!  Please help them!  Or you won't have your numpad add on kits later.

I'll take the numpad out back and shoot it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Can I get -_
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline whiskerBox

Quote from: ripster;539021
And back to these Korean Fonts.  This looks like their standard font done right.
(Attachment Link) 43097[/ATTACH]

I doubt they paid $5K upfront to do this.  I mean it could use SOME improvement (why they enlarge the ' " font beats me) but certainly better than the work they give to Geekhack.

For once I would say you are siding with reason here. These look pretty good why don't we ask Melissa what font they used for this ?
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Autolyze

I'll adopt U. :)

Offline agor

I don't really like that font, though.
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Quote from: ripster;539025
For once.......

BTW this is their standard font.

I'll explain in my font thread in my subforum in a sec....
I'll be tuning in.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline litster

Wow! 2 more pages over night!  I will update the list when I get a chance.

I agree with Ripster.  We need to be persistent in getting it done right if there is any mistake in creating the legend.  From Hashbaz's recently experience and the good looking font that the Korean community did, looks like the SP dog can learn new tricks.

The beating will not stop until the font legend quality improves!

As for the committee, I think Hazeluff, Hashbaz, tsangan are some of the founding members as they have been involved in recent group buys with new legend creations.  Who else would like to join the effort?

Offline Nighted

You guys have to let SP know that you will not commit to a purchase until you are 100% satisfied.

If you settle for less, they will give you less because they'll assume that is what you want.

It is the same in any business transaction.
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
In my view the problem is not that SP gives us poor work, it is that iterating is expensive.  SP just puts our SVGs into their routing machine and produces a mold.  Are you guys saying we should demand to pay a single setup fee and expect multiple prototypes?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: litster;539069
Wow! 2 more pages over night!  I will update the list when I get a chance.

I agree with Ripster.  We need to be persistent in getting it done right if there is any mistake in creating the legend.  From Hashbaz's recently experience and the good looking font that the Korean community did, looks like the SP dog can learn new tricks.

The beating will not stop until the font legend quality improves!

As for the committee, I think Hazeluff, Hashbaz, tsangan are some of the founding members as they have been involved in recent group buys with new legend creations.  Who else would like to join the effort?

Jesuswasa zombie was the one pushing for cherry replica legends for his dolce set. Which is where I started to draw up some legends (tho in the wrong format).

Offline Nighted

Quote from: hashbaz;539099
In my view the problem is not that SP gives us poor work, it is that iterating is expensive.  SP just puts our SVGs into their routing machine and produces a mold.  Are you guys saying we should demand to pay a single setup fee and expect multiple prototypes?

No, not exactly.

Communication is key. Melissa must be informed of the passion associated with this project and the expectations of the finished product.

A picture is worth a thousands words so charts can be created showing proper spacing, position, size, kerning of each and every key.

The Nighted Key Cap Set must be of legendary perfection. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Maybe I should pull out from adopting the legends and have the set named after me instead. 5 keys vs. set's name...hmmm.

Offline Nighted

Quote from: hazeluff;539111
Maybe I should pull out from adopting the legends and have the set named after me instead. 5 keys vs. set's name...hmmm.

Do YOU have what it takes to be a legend? lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gojira54

I'll adopt 'U'!
I'm interested/need ISO UK keys as well... can adopt some of those as well if others are interested

Offline Autolyze

Quote from: gojira54;539119
I'll adopt 'U'!

I think someone beat U to the punch.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: Nighted;539107
No, not exactly.

Communication is key. Melissa must be informed of the passion associated with this project and the expectations of the finished product.

A picture is worth a thousands words so charts can be created showing proper spacing, position, size, kerning of each and every key.

The Nighted Key Cap Set must be of legendary perfection. ;)

Spacing, position, size, and kerning are all dependent upon us, the SVG creators.  Since we're not using one of their built-in fonts, everything can and should be meticulously specified in the SVG.  I believe the only manual process that happens with custom legends is how to position the SVG image over the legendable area of the key top.  And if the SVG has the appropriate canvas size, which it should, it will correspond 1:1 with the legendable area of the key.

So barring a foul-up by SP in aligning the SVG, everything falls on our shoulders.  And in my experience Melissa is very good about correcting foul-ups.  We should establish standards for the SVG creators and do internal reviews amongst the SVG committee members.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;539129
Spacing, position, size, and kerning are all dependent upon us, the SVG creators.  Since we're not using one of their built-in fonts, everything can and should be meticulously specified in the SVG.  I believe the only manual process that happens with custom legends is how to position the SVG image over the legendable area of the key top.  And if the SVG has the appropriate canvas size, which it should, it will correspond 1:1 with the legendable area of the key.

So barring a foul-up by SP in aligning the SVG, everything falls on our shoulders.  And in my experience Melissa is very good about correcting foul-ups.  We should establish standards for the SVG creators and do internal reviews amongst the SVG committee members.

I've been doing this for my SVGs, but she has been telling me that they are too large, yet my software is saying otherwise. == I'll look into this and we can get a template going. If the committee PM me their emails. I have a template,which I've been using for the SVGs I made for the dolce replica IC and would like to send that off to others if they want it.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Ah nuts, Melissa is out until the 14th.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;539138
I've been doing this for my SVGs, but she has been telling me that they are too large, yet my software is saying otherwise. == I'll look into this and we can get a template going. If the committee PM me their emails. I have a template,which I've been using for the SVGs I made for the dolce replica IC and would like to send that off to others if they want it.

Hmm that's annoying.  Are you using Inkscape or Illustrator (or something else) ?

Offline mbc

• -delete-
Quote from: hashbaz;539141
Ah nuts, Melissa is out until the 14th.

Wait ... what?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
melissa probably works with illustrator, so if you can use illustrator it's probably best. svg is portable, in theory but i bet there are bizarre quirks in that portability somewhere

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Nighted

Quote from: hashbaz;539145
Hmm that's annoying.  Are you using Inkscape or Illustrator (or something else) ?

Xara Designer is also very good. Even something like FontCreator would be ideal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gojira54

oops no 'U', so 'O' then... :)

Offline maoiste

All the good stuff is already gone ... as usual ;>

Offline Nighted

Seems a lot of people love that Cherry font, including myself. It has been a major stumbling block in getting the black/grey Dolch set made. I think it's high time this gets dealt with. I see no reason why this can't be achieved with exceptional results.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline turbocharged

Since I am adopted and my real name has a hyphen it it, I guess it is only right that I adopt the "-_" key.

Sign me up.
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline litster

Quote from: Vornath;538842
Numpad 5

You got the last nipple!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;539145

Im using inkscape mainly. But I have Illustrator.

Offline Zehkul

Quote from: maoiste;539191
All the good stuff is already gone ... as usual ;>

There are 19 keys of the German layout available!

Come on, let's do a nordic kit!

Offline Wraul

I would be willing to at least adopt Å, Ä and Ö.
Would be nice if more nordic people would step up and help.

Not sure if there is a reason though. Since I have a hard time seeing them included in any GB.