Author Topic: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue  (Read 112040 times)

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
Re: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 07:18:45 »
Pictuuuuures please !

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:17:50 »
Pictuuuuures please !
I'm working tomorrow and Monday and have an exam on Thursday so I'm not making any promises to get properly colored photos up until the end of next week but I'll attempt to do so as soon as I can.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡ˇᴥ ͡ˇ ʔ
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:08:37 »

Potato but as you can see the cyan is slightly green-ish  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:13:37 »
I just put in my order. It's not too late is it??
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:17:53 »
Post as to remind myself
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡ˇᴥ ͡ˇ ʔ
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:28:55 »
I just put in my order. It's not too late is it??

Don't think you're late as I think he said he would wait till the sample arrives first.  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:39:40 »
Order Placed

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:20:07 »
Show Image

Potato but as you can see the cyan is slightly green-ish  :)

I'm still in, it's quite a lovely shade of green at least.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:55:24 »
The ''cyan'' looks jade green in person; I've had such rectangular ''cyan'' LEDs from aliexpress for a long while now.  Next to them, regular green LEDs look quite olive.  LEDs are what I'd call Difficult to match to a color theme properly, as they tend to look different once installed on a keyboard than when looking at a single LED and just going by color name.  And combinations with other colors are tricky: they can end up being nicely complimenting or just plain garish.  For example, warm white + magenta makes magenta LEDs look very cold purple and out of place.  I'm very intrigued by these more pink LEDs though--hopefully they are warmer than the average magenta.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 13:30:12 »
Ordered!

:thumb:

Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:57:56 »
Any updates on the SIP sockets?

I'm hoping to get the best quality ones, cost is trivial for a small order :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 09:25:37 »
Any updates on the SIP sockets?

I'm hoping to get the best quality ones, cost is trivial for a small order :)

Samples haven't yet arrived. I'm starting to think that unless they show up week of Thanksgiving that we're going to stick with Mouser / MIL MAX for now.

I'm working the LED photos this afternoon and evening and planning to put the order deadline at Monday 1 December. I'll make a final decision about SIP sockets come Wednesday.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 02:05:52 »
Pink LEDs are pink. Because I cannot tell the difference between pink and orange, I've even sought second opinions. The pink is much closer to a red than it is to magenta and the reflection it makes on the Orion plate is pink indeed. Unfortunately I only have SP DCS sets on hand at the moment and they're thin enough that they bleed though nastily. I also can't seem to get the Orion to accept a brightness setting between off and on. The light shining through the thin caps is very red but thicker caps should exhibit less bleed.

Of course, seeing will be the believing:

I've done my best to make this image color accurate to reality. It was taken indoors under cool florescent lights. The color of the plate is what you should pay attention to as that is the color that I matched to reality.

Again, the plate color is the accurate color. You should see it be more red than magenta but still very obviously pink.

For this last photo I tried to match the light cast on the index card to the color reflected on the plate. Nothing about this photo matches reality, I was just trying to give y'all a larger sample of what you'll see under your keycaps.

Feel free to request any other photographs, they'll all be taken on a Duck Butterfly pad so I don't have to continually swap 88 LEDs.

Please accept my apologies for the quality of the photos and editing job. I've not done any serious photography for several years and my skills, software, and dSLR are all very stale.

Some notes in general. All LED packets ordered contained precisely 100 LEDs. So far every tested LED (mostly the pink ones but a half dozen sky and cyan as well) has worked. If there are any "out" in my photographs it is likely because it was improperly installed. The G and 7 also appear to have cold solder joints.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 02:19:05 »
Oh yeah, the last day to order is going to be 3 December. Once all orders are in I'll finalize details with the vendor for our numbers. With the help of some community vendors, we've gotten the MIL MAX sockets down to an almost reasonable $0.07/socket. Unless I receive the sample package from the other vendor before the order deadline, we'll stick with mouser for this first run.

Cheers,
Steven!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 01:08:17 »
As reported the cyan LEDs are pretty darn green by themselves. I think "mint" is more apt than "jade" but it's pretty subjective. When put on a silver plate, they get a little bluer looking a bit more turquisey but not quite a proper cyan.  The darker midnight caps show a lot less light through the cap than the white and pink caps did and overall the effect is much nicer. My dSLR ran out of batteries during my test run of this shoot and I've not yet found the charger so the sky blue photos will have to wait til the new charger arrives which should be sometime over the weekend. The bottom row LEDs also weren't seated because that whole row has poorly seated SIP sockets.

I did find that about 5% of the cyan LEDs were flaky or otherwise DOA so we're going to aim to provide ~5% extra LEDs in the final order and this will reflect in pricing.

Photo was taken indoors under cool florescent lights. The color of the plate is what you should pay attention to as that is the color that I matched to reality.

Again, the plate color is the accurate color. You should see it be more red than magenta but still very obviously pink.

For this last photo I tried to match the light cast on the index card to the color reflected on the plate. Nothing about this photo matches reality, I was just trying to give y'all a larger sample of what you'll see under your keycaps.

Feel free to request any other photographs, they'll all be taken on a Duck Butterfly pad so I don't have to continually swap 88 LEDs.

Please accept my apologies for the quality of the photos and editing job. I've not done any serious photography for several years and my skills, software, and dSLR are all very stale.

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 01:32:54 »
Hey NuclearSandwich, I already signed up for some SIP sockets, but I decided I really like the cyan leds and wanted to add some, should I just put in another order?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 04:23:52 »
Hey NuclearSandwich, I already signed up for some SIP sockets, but I decided I really like the cyan leds and wanted to add some, should I just put in another order?

There's a separate link for updates in the OP. If you use that one it'd be great!

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 02:36:12 »
Hi,

I'm new to these group buys. I see the SIPs have gone down to .07/ea, but when I go to fill out the order form it says .11/ea.  Do I pay later after the final price is adjusted?

Ducky Shine 3 YOTS - Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 - Ducky G2 DK9008 - Ducky G2 Pro DK9008 grey/blue PBT

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:24:57 »
Hi,

I'm new to these group buys. I see the SIPs have gone down to .07/ea, but when I go to fill out the order form it says .11/ea.  Do I pay later after the final price is adjusted?

Yes.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:12:11 »
Hi,

Yep. The form lists the maximum price.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 10:20:02 »
Oh yeah, the last day to order is going to be 3 December. Once all orders are in I'll finalize details with the vendor for our numbers. With the help of some community vendors, we've gotten the MIL MAX sockets down to an almost reasonable $0.07/socket. Unless I receive the sample package from the other vendor before the order deadline, we'll stick with mouser for this first run.

Cheers,
Steven!

Is this still the order deadline?  I have been holding off ordering in hopes you can find cheaper SIP socket pricing.  I will buy some LEDs regardless, but I have been waiting for the last minute in the hopes the SIP sockets come in and we can potentially get them for significantly less.  :)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 10:37:43 »

Cheers,
Steven!
Is this still the order deadline?  I have been holding off ordering in hopes you can find cheaper SIP socket pricing.  I will buy some LEDs regardless, but I have been waiting for the last minute in the hopes the SIP sockets come in and we can potentially get them for significantly less.  :)

This is still the deadline. I haven't gotten anything in the mail from the vendor and I don't want to delay the buy any futthrr. If I do get other SIP sockets from them and they work well we'll use them for round 2. For anyone on the fence, bear in mind that we will likely *never* get the current price for MIL MAX sockets again. With help from a vendor we got the best price we can without getting 320000 sip sockets, a frankly silly amount. The other vendor isn't a real possibility until they deliver or let me know what's up.

EDIT: Pardon my formatting. I had just woken up. I will leave the spelling errors for authenticity.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:06:39 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 10:39:32 »

Cheers,
Steven!

This is still the deadline. I haven't gotten anything in the mail from the vendor and I don't want to delay the buy any futthrr. If I do get other SIP sockets from them and they work well we'll use them for round 2. For anyone on the fence, bear in mind that we will likely *never* get the current price for MIL MAX sockets again. With help from a vendor we got the best price we can without getting 320000 sip sockets, a frankly silly amount. The other vendor isn't a real possibility until they deliver or let me know what's up.

Cool. Thanks for the update.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 13:40:34 »
For the update form do we just enter the new numbers that we want or just what we want to add? I want to just add another 100 sip sockets to my order.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 14:16:06 »
For the update form do we just enter the new numbers that we want or just what we want to add? I want to just add another 100 sip sockets to my order.

Just what you need to add (and your Geekhack username).

This worked perfectly for me.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 21:47:42 »

Yup. Just the stuff that changes.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 23:23:02 »
Put in my order  ;D

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 03:03:32 »
Got my battery finally. These shots came out a little nicer since I finally caved and got Lightroom. I used to be a more active photographer but mostly outdoor stuff so these shots are still pretty lousy.

The sky blue LEDs look pretty white by themselves, but let them reflect a little and they're a vibrant sky blue indeed! I dug up a set of thick old WYSE caps to use here to hopefully bleed less light than the valentine set did. I'm not sure it was necessary as even the modern thin modifiers barely showed. Note that the greenish color under the arrows is the result of the reflection of the yellow plastic in the blue light. Which should be another indicator that these lights are indeed blue.

Photo was taken indoors under cool florescent lights. The color of the plate is what you should pay attention to as that is the color that I matched to reality.

Again, the plate color is the accurate color.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 03:29:42 »
With all the photos now up I can start really focusing on preparing the financial and order organizational side of this group buy. I'm hoping to have everyone's invoice out within a week of the final ordering being done. I'll be figuring out final prices for everything in the coming week and once pricing and shipping is all in order I'll write up what I learned about SIP sockets and LEDs while changing 88 LEDs four times in a row. Once all orders are paid up I'll place the order with the vendor.

Then a lot of waiting for you, a lot of counting for me, and the world of GeekHack will get brighter in some very novel colors. Who knows I might even show off some of the other colors I ordered during my sample run!  :-X

Offline dakuzo

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:08:42 »
Order form submitted  :thumb:
Digilog Realforce 87u - 45g - GMK Dolch
Leopold FC660C - JTK WoB
GoN Nerd Crystal TKL - 62g Mx Blacks - JTK PoW
Duck Octagon - Gateron Blacks - Miami Odessa R4

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:18:54 »
I just got my JD40 from Dorkvader. I had him build it for me. I also bought some cyan LEDs from him and let me tell you, they are supergreen awesome. Your pictures are right on the money when it comes to color. My JD40 has a cyan LED under the caps key...very cool indeed. Looking forward to receiving everything from this GB.  :thumb:

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 20:59:56 »
LAST COUPLE DAYS TO CHANGE ORDERS. I'm going to bump the deadline to Pacific Midnight on Wednesday 10 December since I'm taking a final exam and won't have time to invoice before then.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 23:38:20 »
I'm actually pretty interested in the SIP sockets and skyblue LEDs, but I'm still on the bench as to whether the colour is what I want.

Judging by the pictures, it looks like it's nothing like this:

Either way, I'll place an order for some sip sockets soon! Seems like this is the best bet for actually getting good SIPs.

If anyone knows where I can get these exact coloured skyblue LEDs in 2x3x4, then please PM me :)

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 06:16:17 »
Based on some photo and that viewed in some browser on some monitor will never give you a reliable reproduction of the color.
Those leds on the photo might look quite different in reality.. maybe they even are the exact same skyblue leds and just look different on the photo.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 03:14:25 »
Could you please update the order check page.. it's still on dec. second. Thank you.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 12:30:36 »
Could you please update the order check page.. it's still on dec. second. Thank you.

Sorry about that. The list was actually updated both Sunday and Monday but there's something screwy with the time on my VM.

Today is the last day to order! Tomorrow evening I'll be doing the final collating. Order increases will be accepted until invoices start going out.  At which point I'll have to handle things case by case because if something changes the bulk purchase amount I'll have to recalculate everything.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 23:07:56 »

THREE HOURS REMAIN

Get those final orders in! If you'd like to make changes please use the update form in the OP.

Offline Knxwledge

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 00:07:49 »
How hard is it to install the SIP socket? Do you guys have a picture of it installed?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 00:16:40 »
Show Image

THREE HOURS REMAIN

Get those final orders in! If you'd like to make changes please use the update form in the OP.

I gotta order... will do real soon!

Offline keyit

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 00:18:39 »
How hard is it to install the SIP socket? Do you guys have a picture of it installed?

http://imgur.com/a/asdXP

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51792.0

boop

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 01:28:50 »

Installing SIP sockets can be an involved process. On switches that you're planning to open and lubricate already, it doesn't add that much but if you weren't planning to open the switches already it does add that requirement. Also if you're trying to mod an assembled board you need to desolder existing LEDs, and if you don't have a custom plate, you also need to desolder the switches so they can be opened.

How much work it adds really depends on how much work you're doing. In my opinion it's only really worth it if you're already opening the switches.

Offline Knxwledge

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 14:51:06 »
Thanks! Looks like a lot more work is involved if i do this to my upcoming poker 2.

BTW! Did i make the cut for the order??

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 15:13:50 »
I updated my numbers a little bit.  If it's too late so be it I just wanted a few more sockets just in case.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 15:50:00 »
Updates with increases are still welcome :) if you were able to submit an order I'll take it. The form will stop taking submissions when I get the final details set up.  Since we hit 15k and exchange rates messed with the current listings I've asked the seller for updated quotes.

Offline nandop

• May your keystrokes always be true.
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 10:03:33 »
Updates with increases are still welcome :) if you were able to submit an order I'll take it. The form will stop taking submissions when I get the final details set up.  Since we hit 15k and exchange rates messed with the current listings I've asked the seller for updated quotes.

Sweet! About to take my last final in 30 minutes. Good luck in yours!! Thank you so much for this group buy. I was in dire need of SIP sockets!!
Sprit 60%, White MX 78g Au | Planck Ortholinear 40% Clear MX | Phantom TKL Browns 110g Au

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 19:14:47 »
Just a quick update to say I'm not dead. I was planning on spending some time in the last couple days working on invoices but life had other plans. Also I realized I forgot to figure out shipping estimates for some of the larger order volumes. I'll be honest with y'all invoicing will probably start Monday rather than tomorrow since I work weekends.

Remember international orders will only be invoiced for product and will receive a second invoice from hwood for shipping. I'll be getting hwood the list of international orders as I do invoicing so preparations can be made.

Final quotes from the LED vendor and mouser are in, just need to get shipping in order so I can start collecting money.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 19:32:29 »
Just a quick update to say I'm not dead. I was planning on spending some time in the last couple days working on invoices but life had other plans. Also I realized I forgot to figure out shipping estimates for some of the larger order volumes. I'll be honest with y'all invoicing will probably start Monday rather than tomorrow since I work weekends.

Remember international orders will only be invoiced for product and will receive a second invoice from hwood for shipping. I'll be getting hwood the list of international orders as I do invoicing so preparations can be made.

Final quotes from the LED vendor and mouser are in, just need to get shipping in order so I can start collecting money.

Thanks for the update and all your work :)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 19:51:52 »
Sweet, I'm really excited to get these!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 00:44:50 »
Is tehre a way I can add to my order? also, I havennt received any invoice for my previous order.

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 00:48:38 »
Is tehre a way I can add to my order? also, I havennt received any invoice for my previous order.

13 December, 2014
- Deadline has passed. New orders are still welcome but existing orders can only get bigger unless you PM me first.
- Invoices will start Monday. Sorry for the delay, I need to finalize some US shipping estimates.
- Quotes are in from both vendors.

I think he is still in the process of invoicing.

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 02:32:30 by Evi1_0ne »
Ducky Shine 3 YOTS - Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 - Ducky G2 DK9008 - Ducky G2 Pro DK9008 grey/blue PBT