Author Topic: Mechanical Keyboard Help  (Read 1322 times)

Offline sTsslight

Mechanical Keyboard Help
« on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 03:17:28 »
Ok guys I know there are a MILLION keyboard threads out there but I would like some specific help.
(also its kind of long so I bolded the main issues)

1) I am a poor college student so cost is a HUGE issue.
2) cost = if im going to have to buy a new one every 2 weeks a $200 dollar keyboard is cheaper than a $50 keyboard. Reliability is also a big issue.

Ok so now that we got that out of the way. I am looking to buy a mechanical keyboard. *my first one ><*
I REALLY like the sounds of the Cherry MX blue so that would be my first choice for switches. I have been getting mixed reviews between what is better like Boxer uses blues to train but some people say for double tapping blues arent the greatest but blacks are?

I <3 the click click sound so that would be a HUGE plus.

I live in Hawaii so before you mention deals on shipping and what not be sure to note that almost no free shipping exists to Hawaii *aside from amazon* So finding a board on there would be best then i can spend a little more.
What im looking at now
Razer Black widow. The good thing about this is that it is cheap. It is 70 dollars flat cause on amazon no shipping no tax. im not getting the ultimate cause my CPU is right next to my desk so i dont need the extra ports or the CON. The quality is pretty iffy? a lot of reviews saying good things but on forums they say that sometimes arrives DOA or with TERRIBAD glitches such as keys sticking and clicking more than one key. Or keys being switched. But the ones that arrive okay seem to last? again mixed reviews....
Das Keyboard Ultimate GOOD it seems to have a better track record also loving the blank keys. but it is 130 base AND is around 26 shippin+tax. BUT i hear there is a student discount so it is like free shipping.

So is the DAS keyboard worth the extra 60 dollars? or do you know of any other keyboards that are in the <$130 with shipping price range that are good and reliable?
Also im probably gonna wait till like august to pick it up but i wanna start shopping now so i can save accordingly so if you know anything coming out that i should try check out LMK.

Offline Fixall

Mechanical Keyboard Help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 03:34:47 »
The Das Keyboard comes out to $104 (that's including tax) after the discount and I believe even Hawaii gets free shipping with the student discount.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2011, 03:39:24 by Fixall »

Offline sTsslight

Mechanical Keyboard Help
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 03:54:32 »
WHAT??? hawaii gets free shipping with students discount????? :D :D :D :D if thats true im DEF going with the DAS :O wow that would be AWESOME! dude you MADE my night :D :D if i could I would TOTALLY +rep you  BUT if you are wrong then im probably just gonna go qq in a corner for a few hours... LOL :)