Author Topic: help me setup colemak using 7bits kit plz  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

help me setup colemak using 7bits kit plz
« on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 08:12:14 »
I just received 7bit's colemak kit for the geekhack double shot set.

My colemak kit comes with

1. standard colemak kit
2. reverse capslock to be used for the top right backspace, since we don't need 2 backspace, and it kinda sucked that when you use colemak, you lose the ability to capslock.

My question is

1. How do i change my keyboard layout in windows 7 ultimate to use colemak ?
2. How do i bind the top right reverse capslock to be capslock instead of backspace as it would normally be under colemak profile ?
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 08:21:39 »
For portable Colemak in different computers, I use this colemak.exe program (200kB)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c84idcqnvt10y2y

Found out from Tony. Also apparently Linux already has colemak support, whereas windows 7 OS doesn't by default.

Anyway i still need help regarding the reverse capslock please.
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Offline Culinia

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 13:12:55 »
I have created two keyboard layouts for MS Windows which have swapped Capslock and Backspace and is non-portable (currently trying to find out how to swap caps and backspace in portable apps).

United Kingdom
- Reversed Backspace and Capslock, Colemak, United Kingdom symbols

United States
- Reversed Backspace and Capslock, Colemak, United States symbols

The files can be downloaded here [Mediafire]
- Just unzip and run set up. You will need to adjust your keyboard settings in control panel (to make default) or change layouts by the [EN] thing ('language bar'?) bottom right near the task bar area.
* I tested the UK one, need some feedback if the US one works properly. Thx.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 13:18:40 by Culinia »

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:14:00 »
hi culinia,

I think it works. i'm using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. tested the US layout version.

i used the setup installer and it installed the correct version.

an icon in taskbar appears. I have to select the reverse colemak setting and click apply.

And then there is a hotkey to switch between languages, and also switch between the colemak reverse and back again to qwerty, which is awesome for when i'm playing starcraft 2, as i can flip between both keyboard styles, one for using qwer asd  hotkeys for storm of the imperial sanctum, and back to colemak if i am typing a message by pressing shift and ctrl.

the hotkeys can also be changed if needed.

i had type faster opened during the installation. when i tried the colemak it didn't work. i had to close the type faster program, and start it up again before it worked. i then tested on notepad that it worked. i also tested ingame starcraft 2 and it worked.

I think your program is the best for switching between reverse colemak and qwerty. So i don't need 2 keyboards, 1 for gaming, and 1 for just chatting because of this app, which is sweet :} i have some muscle memory for typing in qwerty even while i am using the colemak layout hehe.

thx for sharing !

hm any suggestion if there is a typing tutor like typing master but for colemak ?? i tried type faster with colemak profile but it isn't anywhere close to the typing master pro program. there is no visual cues which finger to press on which key, and hint where those keys may be located.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:16:55 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline Culinia

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:28:55 »
Glad to see that it works and you like it!

LOL, although it is a massive pain in the ass - I am proud to say that over the time I have remapped all the games I play in Colemak :D

Umm, well I used only one program for typing software and got up to 20wpm then after that I went 'cold turkey'...which I recommend you do but print the layout and stick it on the wall above your computer screen and refer to that. You can download it from: here
BUT you will need to download a file follow the installation instructions to set it up with colemak. Also I noticed some people on the colemak forums created their own lessons here but you will need to cut & paste the text into notepad and set it up.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:37:40 »
i don't know how to remap  colemak for storm of the imperial sanctum for starcraft 2. so your switch between colemak and qwerty solved that for me ;}

I did try type faster but it wasn't good for me :{

Is there a mod to get colemak lessons for typing master pro ?

*ipdate

just found this typer shark deluxe. It has the finger cues which finger to use to press what. It looks really good.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3iytml19xm9
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:54:10 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:18:27 »
ugh, tested the shark app but it doesn't have a colemak profile. wish it did :{

I found another good app which is flash, it shows the colemak layout which keys to use. Bit as the lesson begins it only shows which key and where on keyboard to press.

http://keybr.com/

So that is what i am using currently. It's nice but i wonder if there is something better out there.

[/FONT]

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 00:03:16 »
Nice to see you like Colemak and find it useful like we do.

For Windows I use the install package dowloaded from Colemak.com and it works perfectly. I went to Language settings in Control panel and set the hotkey for Colemak Control-1, Qwerty Control-2. That makes the switching back and forth (during games) easier and let others use Qwerty at my computer just in case.

You can try Typing of the Dead game too. Here is my RIP installer.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?39n09opm4zqf7uo

Youtube - Final boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ki2-nKIXn8

Youtube - Final exam drill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VhKaY0tRU
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Culinia

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 19:35:10 »
For some reason, apostrophe and quotation marks don't seem to work for me on this game. Which is a shame, because it looked quite fun.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 20:04:10 »
Tony, well i'm still a klutz with colemak. Although my keyboard layout is currently colemak with reverse capslock/backspace, i am still typing with qwerty.

I haven't yet found a very decent tutor program like typing master pro, so it feels hard breaking into colemak.

my finger muscles are dumb when it comes to colemak, i'm so far only getting a feel for the third row keys only so far slowly. I have way better muscle memory for qwerty to type without looking down :}

Culinia, i think there is a bug where the program now and then relapses from qwerty to colemak. It's either that or, i keep accidentally hitting shift + control without noticing.

That program you made, couldn't there be a color highlight on the icon in tackbar to indicate if it's qwerty or colemak ?

E.g. turn white when it's qwerty, and turn red when it's colemak ?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 20:06:46 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 22:25:43 »
@Culinia and Mooglie: I forgot to tell you to go to Settings of Typing of the Dead and change the keyboard type to US instead of UK. After that all things should be fine.

That colemak.exe got symbol H in the taskbar if it is Colemak, S if it is Qwerty (Autohotkey features). Default H (Colemak mode).

I use Type Faster to learn Colemak, after learning full keyboard any other typing software can be used. I use Typing Tutor 7, but Typing Master is excellent too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 22:32:05 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 13:13:56 »
Typing master pro doesn't have colemak profile. Or can this be added ?

[/FONT]

Offline Tony

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 08:59:08 »
Typing master has no Colemak profile.

You learn full Colemak keyboard layout with Type Faster, then you can use Qwerty profile in Typing Master and turn off the keyboard pictures. Works for me.