Author Topic: I want to try a MX blues keyboard now - are there full-size filco otaku's anywhere?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline jumpfroggy

Ok, so I've been using my Filco FKB104M/EB since I got it straight from japan years ago.  It's the full-size browns board.  I like it, but I've always wanted something with more feedback, so I'm looking at getting an MX blues board.

I'd love to get this:
-full size
-ansi
-blues (of course)
-otaku
-very good quality

So I know the Das Keyboard Ultimate S (non-silent) is an option.  However, I'm a little wary of that one, since I know the quality may not be as good as my filco.  I still may end up with it.

Are there any other blues/full-size/otaku boards out there?  Also, I know there are some Filcos that match my description, but I don't know the model number or if there's anywhere to get them.  I'm not interested in the Ninja - I'd rather just get a non-otaku board at that point.

Is there a Filco out there that fits and is for sale?  If not, what other options are there?

Last, if I can't find anything else, are there full-size Filco blues non-otaku boards for sale anywhere?

Thanks!
Filco FKB104/EB - Das Keyboard Ultimate S - Realforce 103UB variable - Filco Linear-R (soon)

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
At least, there are blank 104 key cap sets to get. Combine that with a full size board and you are home.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
You can check the classifieds. However, Filco blues are a little hard to come by at the moment. And the ONLY thing I'd worry about with the Das Keyboard is the gloss finish. With the exception of the riser feet, it's just as good in build quality as the Filco (IMO).

Offline jumpfroggy

Quote from: PrinsValium;371141
At least, there are blank 104 key cap sets to get. Combine that with a full size board and you are home.

Thanks for that link, for some reason all the others I found were OOS.  I may end up doing this, although I hate that it'll likely bring the price of the keyboard to $200+.  My first filco was $80 + shipping!

Quote from: daerid;371274
You can check the classifieds. However, Filco blues are a little hard to come by at the moment. And the ONLY thing I'd worry about with the Das Keyboard is the gloss finish. With the exception of the riser feet, it's just as good in build quality as the Filco (IMO).

Yeah, seems like it.  I've saw a few listings for exactly what I want - filco blues full size *otaku*.  Maybe they got custom keys?  Or maybe there was a model for sale that I missed out on?

It looks like the closest thing is the FKBN104MC/EB2.  The page says OOS, but expecting more July 29th.  I don't know if they mean this specific model, or that they'll have more Filco's in general then.  And that's a long time to wait :(

And I'm curious what you thought of the Das Keyboard.  Did you mean that the riser feet were bad?  I never use mine, I like the normal angle.  That said, from some pics it looked like the Das was more angled w/o feet than the Filco's.  Not sure if that was just the angle of the picture itself.

So a Das w/ blues is in the same league as a Filco w/ blues?  If so, I may end up doing that, just to save myself some money & hassle.

And gloss finish?  Yuck...  if I get one and it's good, I will probably have to paint that.  I hate gloss finishes on keyboards (like my old razor, yuck).  It just looks so dirty/awful within 3 seconds of opening the box.  I can't imagine 4 years down the road.
Filco FKB104/EB - Das Keyboard Ultimate S - Realforce 103UB variable - Filco Linear-R (soon)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Quote from: jumpfroggy;371281
And I'm curious what you thought of the Das Keyboard.  Did you mean that the riser feet were bad?  I never use mine, I like the normal angle.  That said, from some pics it looked like the Das was more angled w/o feet than the Filco's.  Not sure if that was just the angle of the picture itself.

So a Das w/ blues is in the same league as a Filco w/ blues?  If so, I may end up doing that, just to save myself some money & hassle.

And gloss finish?  Yuck...  if I get one and it's good, I will probably have to paint that.  I hate gloss finishes on keyboards (like my old razor, yuck).  It just looks so dirty/awful within 3 seconds of opening the box.  I can't imagine 4 years down the road.

The feet are solid when in use, but they don't snap into place very firmly. And yeah, I've been thinking of taking 400grit to my Das Keyboard, soften up the gloss a bit. But yeah, if you can't wait for the Filco w/ blues, then the Das Keyboard won't let you down.