Author Topic: [Preview] Keycap Storage/Display boards!  (Read 154598 times)

Offline ijprest

Re: [Preview] Keycap Storage/Display boards!
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:21:13 »
I got mine today (international)!  And then I promptly filled four of them! 

Mini-review:
-- These are really nice.  High-quality cardboard & foam.  Shipped quickly & as cheaply as possible.
-- The top layer is set up to hold the ESC thru F12 (and below) part of a standard ANSI layout... with one spot left over (novelty ESC?).  The second layer has cutouts for the arrow/navigation block & numpad, plus cutouts for any extras you may have... Tsangan kit, stepped capslocks, ISO enter, etc.  You shouldn't have trouble accommodating anything but the most extreme sets.
-- I recommend saving some of the smaller bits of cutout foam to fill gaps in the second layer (since you're less likely to fill it completely).
-- It's a bit tricky to get the caps in sometimes... they're held fairly securely by the foam at the top/bottom edges.  But this means that they don't move around much, even if you shake the box.

Suggestions for improvements:
1. I'd probably go with a smooth surface on the "bottom" of each layer, rather than foam.  (Or just a smooth surface stuck to the existing piece of foam.)
-- The foam makes it hard to "slide" keys along the rows (important when you're inserting them out of order).
-- I don't think this would affect the fit (currently nice & tight), but it might make it easier to put the caps in, since the edges of the caps wouldn't grip the bottom.

2. Add a couple of "handles" to make it easier to lift the top layer.
-- It need not be fancy; even something as simple as a tab of paper (with a sticky part to attach to the bottom of the top layer) for each side.
-- An alternative might be to cut a couple of small notches along the side of the top layer... just enough to get your fingers into to allow you to lift the layer.

3. Add something to cover the top layer...
-- There's currently a small gap between the top layer and the top of the box when closed... i.e., the box is just slightly too tall.
-- Could be easily filled with a loose piece of foam or corrugated cardboard.
-- If your keys are shaken around, a few of them can come loose (most are OK... the fit is pretty tight, as I mentioned).
-- I think none of them would come loose with something to fill this gap.  Or at least there'd be nowhere for them to go... :)

These are all pretty minor... hard to improve much on what is already a terrific product!

Bottom-line:  I heartily recommend these to anyone who has a bunch of complete sets and wants to store them in something better than a ziplock (and at a reasonable price). 

Offline ijprest

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:36:39 »
And here's my CCnG set in the case.  Lots of room left for a Tsangan kit (if I had it) or something.  (Note how I've saved a few bits of foam to fill the empty spaces.)

41813-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:38:45 by ijprest »

Offline KeyPop

• www.KeyPop.net [키팝.net]
    • KeyPop.net
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:29:52 »
I got mine today (international)!  And then I promptly filled four of them! 

Mini-review:
-- These are really nice.  High-quality cardboard & foam.  Shipped quickly & as cheaply as possible.
-- The top layer is set up to hold the ESC thru F12 (and below) part of a standard ANSI layout... with one spot left over (novelty ESC?).  The second layer has cutouts for the arrow/navigation block & numpad, plus cutouts for any extras you may have... Tsangan kit, stepped capslocks, ISO enter, etc.  You shouldn't have trouble accommodating anything but the most extreme sets.
-- I recommend saving some of the smaller bits of cutout foam to fill gaps in the second layer (since you're less likely to fill it completely).
-- It's a bit tricky to get the caps in sometimes... they're held fairly securely by the foam at the top/bottom edges.  But this means that they don't move around much, even if you shake the box.

Suggestions for improvements:
1. I'd probably go with a smooth surface on the "bottom" of each layer, rather than foam.  (Or just a smooth surface stuck to the existing piece of foam.)
-- The foam makes it hard to "slide" keys along the rows (important when you're inserting them out of order).
-- I don't think this would affect the fit (currently nice & tight), but it might make it easier to put the caps in, since the edges of the caps wouldn't grip the bottom.

2. Add a couple of "handles" to make it easier to lift the top layer.
-- It need not be fancy; even something as simple as a tab of paper (with a sticky part to attach to the bottom of the top layer) for each side.
-- An alternative might be to cut a couple of small notches along the side of the top layer... just enough to get your fingers into to allow you to lift the layer.

3. Add something to cover the top layer...
-- There's currently a small gap between the top layer and the top of the box when closed... i.e., the box is just slightly too tall.
-- Could be easily filled with a loose piece of foam or corrugated cardboard.
-- If your keys are shaken around, a few of them can come loose (most are OK... the fit is pretty tight, as I mentioned).
-- I think none of them would come loose with something to fill this gap.  Or at least there'd be nowhere for them to go... :)

These are all pretty minor... hard to improve much on what is already a terrific product!

Bottom-line:  I heartily recommend these to anyone who has a bunch of complete sets and wants to store them in something better than a ziplock (and at a reasonable price).

Much thanks for the review! Glad to hear you like them! :3

Offline Neal

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 06:49:05 »
Hey, got my boxes yday. absolutely love them.

Just one thing though, I ordered 3 boxes. 2 of them had two different Display inserts, however the third one had 2 identical ones. Whatsup with that? How am I going to store my ISO :-\

Picture to clarify what I mean:

Offline KeyPop

• KeyPop.net
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 11:04:22 »
Hey, got my boxes yday. absolutely love them.

Just one thing though, I ordered 3 boxes. 2 of them had two different Display inserts, however the third one had 2 identical ones. Whatsup with that? How am I going to store my ISO :-\

Picture to clarify what I mean:
Show Image

That isn't normal. Please contact us via PM or email with your Paypal transaction # or Paypal email and we'll ship you out the correct board.
Truly sorry about that.

Offline ijprest

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 23:59:26 »

Yeah, really like them so far.  So much so that I ordered another 6!

I'm beginning to think that keycaps breed & multiply when you're not looking.  :)

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:45:32 »

Yeah, really like them so far.  So much so that I ordered another 6!

I'm beginning to think that keycaps breed & multiply when you're not looking.  :)

Depending on my next cheque and the other 100s of dollars I'm spending on keysboards/caps, I'll probably be getting ten.  :rolleyes:
I want that GID gamer set too...  :)

Offline tbc

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 21:54:32 »
just got my set of 3 and assembled one.  I actually didn't realize assembly was needed, but it's a minor concern at best; literally, punch out + squeeze together.

these things are great; If I had to say anything, they should be made less tight (the foam is too tight against the sides of the box), the box is oddly hard to actually open and it always feels like i'm going to rip the thing in half.  As well, it'd be great to see the letters printed in the correct places for all the standard 104 keys.  I think having some themed boxes would be great as well; a satin black box (or w/e ducky does with theirs) with orange foam inserts would look as classy and geekhacky as hell.

the punchouts feel like they would make good packing material (it's always funny seeing shipping materials and boxes being shipped in other packing material).

let's be clear, I said a bunch of stuff, but that was cause I felt like using my keyboard today;  for the price keypop is offering, they're a great buy as it is.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline KeyPop

• KeyPop.net
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:01:10 »
just got my set of 3 and assembled one.  I actually didn't realize assembly was needed, but it's a minor concern at best; literally, punch out + squeeze together.

these things are great; If I had to say anything, they should be made less tight (the foam is too tight against the sides of the box), the box is oddly hard to actually open and it always feels like i'm going to rip the thing in half.  As well, it'd be great to see the letters printed in the correct places for all the standard 104 keys.  I think having some themed boxes would be great as well; a satin black box (or w/e ducky does with theirs) with orange foam inserts would look as classy and geekhacky as hell.

the punchouts feel like they would make good packing material (it's always funny seeing shipping materials and boxes being shipped in other packing material).

let's be clear, I said a bunch of stuff, but that was cause I felt like using my keyboard today;  for the price keypop is offering, they're a great buy as it is.

Very glad to hear you're satisfied with the box! We'll definitely look into the box being hard to open issue!
Thanks again for your review!

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:15:23 »
Damn, never realised I failed to make some pictures. :X

Will you be doing another run with a coloured version some time? They are great for complete sets but I have a couple more coming this way.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread