Author Topic: Did your office productivity increase after getting your ideal keyboard?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Angry Hipster

Is the keyboard a good investment for boosting office productivity?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Did your office productivity increase after getting your ideal keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 19:17:52 »
Absolutely.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 19:26:44 »
A combination of being able to type significantly faster on mechs and the improved ergonomics leading to less hand/wrist problems = more productivity
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 December 2014, 19:54:53 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 19:41:52 »
It always has.  No need to change anything.  Can you say that?

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 20:01:54 »
A keyboard with Matias Quiet Alps or Topre helped my productivity; but clicky switches - even Reds and Browns eventually drive me up a wall.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 20:04:35 »
A combination of being able to type significantly faster on mechs and the improved ergonomics leading to less hand/wrist problems = more productivity

Exactly this. Since I've gotten my HHKB, I've found myself taking less and less breaks. Definitely boosts productivity and lessens the strain on your hands/wrists.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 20:15:17 »
Clicks drive you insane?  Shame.
This may take you a lot of time, but in the end, you might want to try a floss mod.

Greasing the springs is another option, but that should be done professionally.  (Soft Touch mod.... and it means just that.  You lose a lot of the tactile response after doing it.)

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 20:43:47 »
For sure! It makes me want to program/write much more using a keyboard I enjoy typing on.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 05:56:37 »
Nope. Adderall is the only thing that affects my productivity. However, I am enjoying my lack of productivity much more than before.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline Hzza

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 06:12:51 »
Productivity didn't go up, but comfort levels did; I've been getting less hand cramps and RSI since I've been using my current set up (Phantom and Rollermouse/Vertical mouse).

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 06:52:52 »

None of that is really true though...You're not typing any faster on a Mechanical keyboard...and the ergonomics are not superior either...or else we'd see large corporations move to them...

If you enjoy using your mechanical keyboard so much you're willing to work more great...there is nothing suggesting either of the two things you mentioned..

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 07:02:55 »
Yes. The feeling of typing on one encourages me to type; it makes me want to be on my keyboard. Strictly speaking of keyboards, mkbs has increased my productivity. On the other hand, taking part in a keyboard community here during work is a different story...  :p
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 22:42:18 »
None of that is really true though...You're not typing any faster on a Mechanical keyboard...and the ergonomics are not superior either...or else we'd see large corporations move to them...

Umm.. I think that's some flawed reasoning there...

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:52:42 »
It definitely did for me. I love the feeling and sound of my blues so I find any chance to type.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 00:01:49 »
Productivity didn't go up, but comfort levels did; I've been getting less hand cramps and RSI since I've been using my current set up (Phantom and Rollermouse/Vertical mouse).

I'll put in an additional plug for the Rollermouse -- costs as much as a good mech keyboard, but to me it's worth it to have the mouse functions right in front of the space bar, and to be able to move the cursor without taking my fingers off the home keys.

The "ideal" keyboard varies by individual, but if you find the right one for you, you may type a little faster with fewer errors and less fatigue.  The big advantage, though, is the pleasure of typing on a board that feels good. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline tbc

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 00:48:32 »

my ergodox is DEFINITELY ergonomically better than the dell kbd.

since when could corporations effectively assess worker productivity?  corporations are well known havens for slackers.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 00:48:56 »

Yeah. I've actually seen plenty of cases of people on here bringing in keyboards or getting there bosses to buy them some on medical grounds. As for large corporations moving to them, many of the problems that afflict people using RD boards manifest themselves later in life after long usage, normally near or after the end of their working years. And for many, they don't see it as necessarily impeding their work in any way. So why would companies want to spend $70+ on mechanical keyboards for every employee when they could just get some cheap, $10 dells for everyone. It's just not cost effective
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 01:30:26 »
I found it to be!  I am marginally less inclined to spend the days at work waiting for home time, especially when I am typing on my QFS MX greens with Nuclear Data Green SA keycaps.

A considerably more pleasant typing experience than the membrane Dell keyboards that just seemed to get worse and worse over time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 01:40:33 »
I work from home, so I type on my Code w/ Clears 12+ hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week. I won't say that it increased my productivity (since programming is roughly only about 30% typing).

But better quality keyboards vastly increase my enjoyment of working.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 02:09:04 »
I don't have my ideal keyboard yet, only a nearly ideal layout.

Geekhack kills my productivity. I am thinking of banning myself from geekhack as my 2015 New Year's Resolution.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 03:07:08 »
all productivity improves with the right tools what the **** is this racism
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Chromako

• Worshipper of the Topre and IBM Gods
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 04:51:35 »

We have seen some corporations take ergonomics into account and give their employees mechanical keyboards. Why else would, for example, Delta Airlines use $200+ keyboards in all of their check-in counters?

To be fair, part of their rationale had to do with reliability (delay a flight because your dome+membrane keyboard was malfunctioning and it took you five minutes to find and hook up a new one means $$$$ of financial losses) and the fact that the Desko's they are using have passport reading slots, but you can get a cheap keyboard and separate passport reader for less.

Point being that ergonomics was a large reason for their purchase.

It is unfortunate that we haven't seen more companies think about ergonomics, but it's happening, slowly.
Thou Shalt Not Violate Causality, Nor Shalt Thou Invert Thy Spacebar.

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 07:49:15 »
It has for me.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 07:58:30 »
I don't think large corporations would want to be paying $80 and up per mechanical board. Even if they purchase in bulk the difference in price is substantial compared to membrane.

To me, there is no doubt that my productivity has increased. It's made me want to type more and I've learned all the shortcuts for different applications, which has increased my speed and efficiency.  :cool:
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Valen

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 08:14:42 »
Yes it does. I always buy my own keyboard and mouse to the office.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 08:44:21 »

No it isn't..If the ergonomics were truly better, they'd be going to them in droves.  We don't see normal ergonomic keyboards out there as often, not because of costs, but because a lot of people don't want to use them and the data is a bit meh..  With a majority of people not knowing how to type properly, a traditional ergonomic keyboard isn't going to work well..so combine the complaints, extra cost and lack of actual real data and you end up with what most companies have out there...and many of them WILL buy you an ergonomic keyboard if you request it..you just have to do it..

But going to back to why they would if it were true..

If there was data backing that mech keyboards are better ergonomically...and knowing they're made to last longer...they would easily spend the 70 or 80 dollars more (probably even less if they're buying in quantities of 10's of thousands) per user to prevent RSI and CTS...Not only would there be fewer cases of this (If there was data backing this up) but they'd stand up better in court.  Since the keyboards are lasting longer, you're replacing them less frequently as well...it becomes a no brainer to use it...no issues with users getting used to the layout..it is the same..

But since there is absolutely no data suggesting mech keyboards are more ergonomic (I think people forget that old computers used to actually have mechanical keyboards as standard) it isn't going to happen..there isn't a reason for it to happen...

Offline Polymer

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 08:49:33 »

We have seen some corporations take ergonomics into account and give their employees mechanical keyboards. Why else would, for example, Delta Airlines use $200+ keyboards in all of their check-in counters?

To be fair, part of their rationale had to do with reliability (delay a flight because your dome+membrane keyboard was malfunctioning and it took you five minutes to find and hook up a new one means $$$$ of financial losses) and the fact that the Desko's they are using have passport reading slots, but you can get a cheap keyboard and separate passport reader for less.

Point being that ergonomics was a large reason for their purchase.

It is unfortunate that we haven't seen more companies think about ergonomics, but it's happening, slowly.

It has nothing to do with ergonomics and everything to do with reliability...You see a lot of Cherry keyboards in high traffic retail type environments but I think that has more to do with the Point of Sale system than anything else..

You still see a lot of cheap keyboards as well in the non-integrated environments.....not to mention the new trend for POS systems is tablets...

Offline daniel.floyd.581

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 17:06:44 »
How u pLay the game

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 18:33:43 »
+ When I'm doing transcription, my hands rarely get sore, and sweaty fingers don't bother me that much anymore.
- I'm more frustrated by stock OEM boards.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 19:08:03 »
It has increased the amount of work I get done in programming, I go insane each day we don't code.

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 18:14:10 »
I'm still a student, so I can't say about my productivity at the office, but I can definitely say that with my MX Reds or Buckling Springs I actually WANT to get things done at home.
Now when I go to the computer room at my school with all the worn out, dusty Dell membranes I can't type with nearly as much concentration or quality of writing as I'm in pain and ranting to the person sitting next to me about how crappy the Dell membranes are.
And then they're just like, "meh." Not that I hear them because I'm still ranting.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 19:08:42 »
it did for me.

I work in a smaller office, and while most people were fine with the office issued equipment, I ended up bringing in about $3000 worth of my own personal stuff to the office.
a 1440p monitor, a nice office chair, keyboard, mouse, an a few other things.

Im at the point where when I look for jobs, If I can't bring in my own equipment or am reimbursed for new equipment, I don't bother working there.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 19:25:42 »

Somewhat. Probably the biggest impact is that I now use a 60% keyboard at work and home. With this setup it is much easier to do other work (writing) or throw it out of the way when I do not need it.
RETIRED

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 02:14:05 »
No. But it did ruin my productivity with any keyboard other than my ideal one...  :-X
null

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 02:20:11 »
It didn't boost my productivity, but it did reduce fatigue and make for a more enjoyable experience.

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 09:16:45 »
No. But it did ruin my productivity with any keyboard other than my ideal one...  :-X

True dat.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 10:06:06 »

I remember back when I got my first HHKB Pro 2, all I wanted to do all day long was code/type out ****. I think if you get the right keyboard that suits your needs then it's going to make you want to do more and more things on that keyboard.

I think the same can be said for when you get a new gaming board and what not, you're going to want to type/game on that as much as possible, to test it out and what not.
你搞砸了

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 11:07:56 »
It has increased the amount of work I get done in programming, I go insane each day we don't code.

You're a programmer that has "non-coding" days? WTF?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 11:09:27 »

Well, you should always plan out on whiteboard and paper before you actually do it, and also collaborate, and the programmers version goes, weeks of coding can save you hours of planning.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 11:31:54 »

Yes. The feeling of typing on one encourages me to type; it makes me want to be on my keyboard. Strictly speaking of keyboards, mkbs has increased my productivity. On the other hand, taking part in a keyboard community here during work is a different story...  :p

This.  I think my productivity has gone way down as a result of the forums, but at least I can be happy while being productive, or unproductive :D

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 11:47:02 »
I'm still a student, so I can't say about my productivity at the office, but I can definitely say that with my MX Reds or Buckling Springs I actually WANT to get things done at home.
Now when I go to the computer room at my school with all the worn out, dusty Dell membranes I can't type with nearly as much concentration or quality of writing as I'm in pain and ranting to the person sitting next to me about how crappy the Dell membranes are.
And then they're just like, "meh." Not that I hear them because I'm still ranting.

I'm also a student doing research in BioInformatics. I carry my QF around campus with no shame! Hell, everyone knows I'm a nerd anyways.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 12:10:48 »
The only improved productivity came from me forcing myself to relearn to touch type since I was ashamed to have a super nice keyboard and still type with 2 fingers.

It also improved a little since I can remap the keys with the Soarer converter and configure a function layer with NAV around IJKL.

But in fact, most of these improvements don't require a super nice keyboard. Still, I think that the best improvement is the comfort that I get using my keyboard. It might not improve my productivity, but it improves my satisfaction and comfort by a LOT and that's very important, more so on the long term.!

So I really believe that everyone should get a good keyboard they like for work (for the ones that use it a lot).

And the model F is just perfect  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline InfamousBlade

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 12:16:28 »
Went up quite a lot, actually. I can type a hell of a lot faster on my Das Model S than I could on the crappy Lenovo rubber dome they'd provided me with.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 22:52:54 »

Documentation.

Testing.

Summarising timesheets and emails to justify costs to clients.

System installation and configuration.

Hardware upgrades.

Operating system upgrades.

I'm lucky if I get a full day each week programming any more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 23:05:14 »
That's...depressing.

Offline Tony

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 07:14:51 »
Certainly yes. I am so happy that I try to bring some other keyboards for my colleagues to test.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm