jlv's double action keyboard
21 (39.6%)
Drclick's Do2
9 (17%)
adamski07's Project Cosmos
23 (43.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sat, 18 February 2017, 00:51:00

Author Topic: Keyboard of the Month - January - Vote  (Read 14432 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the Month - January - Vote
« on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 00:51:00 »
Late as always, here we are with the first vote of year number three for Keyboard of the Month.

Thank you to everyone who nominated boards this month, we had a total of ten boards nominated this month, a new record! Of those ten we do have a shortlist, and the three boards up for your vote this month are:

jlv's double action keyboard

His project thread can be found here!

Drclick's Do2

Some more pictures are in the mail thread here

adamski07's Project Cosmos

Cosmos thread is here

The poll will last seven days, so good luck to all the participants!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Keyboard of the Month - January - Vote
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 01:56:17 »
Voted! :thumb:

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:46:28 »
Voted! Tough choice

Offline ba7777

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:50:18 »

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 02:58:50 »
Wow, theres some heavy hitters this month.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 20:19:17 »
Thanks for the nomaination and to those who voted for Cosmos. :) Hoping to start my next proj soon. :)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 17:35:12 »
A hard choice for me between flawless execution and innovation.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 19:41:02 »
Another fairly easy one to pick :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 02:50:32 »
A hard choice for me between flawless execution and innovation.

Truth.

In the end, the engineer in me won out though.  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 16:06:31 »
Congratulations to Adamski who is January's winner! A great project, and a well deserved winner :) Thank you to all the finalists for their fantastic boards, stay tuned next week for the nomination thread for February to go up :)

Offline ba7777

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:06:21 »
Congratulations!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:21:28 »
Not quite what I was expecting but congrats Adamski. It's a really pretty case.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:53:29 »
I keep missing these voting threads :( Would be good if they could be linked in the nomination thread as I'm auto subbed to them when I post.

Edit: looks like I can be notified of entire sub-boards. Done!
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:57:31 by Coreda »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 18:05:33 »
I keep missing these voting threads :( Would be good if they could be linked in the nomination thread as I'm auto subbed to them when I post.

Edit: looks like I can be notified of entire sub-boards. Done!

Sorry dude, I will make sure to do that from now on.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:39:44 »
Congrats adamski :)

However, 55957 GH members, 3704 active members in the past 7 days, and only 53 votes?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:03:09 »

However, 55957 GH members, 3704 active members in the past 7 days, and only 53 votes?

There are that many active members? ****ing hell. 53 votes is lazy.

Edit: nick mentioned that there have been artisan sales, so that's going to skew the active count.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:05:55 by xondat »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:08:50 »

Yeah, it's something that's always been in my mind. I don't really know how to convert that amount of members into votes. It's not through lack of visibility with the sub-forum being so close to the top.

I don't really feel I can advertise it on Reddit because its a Geekhack only competition. I try to push it on my own social media as and when I remember, but I don't feel it gets a lot more people through the door.

Less than 2% of active members in the last week voting though is a really terrible ratio. I guess I could add thread in Off Topic to discuss ways to publicise? But I kinda feel bad doing that as well because I have my own sub forum here...

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:12:50 »
I personally almost always browse by "Spy on the latest forum posts" so if this thread doesn't get posted in I wont see it. Maybe you could set up like a group pm reminding people each month?

EDIT: Or maybe I should set up notifications for this board  :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:15:07 by nickheller »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:49:19 »

Yeah, it's something that's always been in my mind. I don't really know how to convert that amount of members into votes. It's not through lack of visibility with the sub-forum being so close to the top.

I don't really feel I can advertise it on Reddit because its a Geekhack only competition. I try to push it on my own social media as and when I remember, but I don't feel it gets a lot more people through the door.

Less than 2% of active members in the last week voting though is a really terrible ratio. I guess I could add thread in Off Topic to discuss ways to publicise? But I kinda feel bad doing that as well because I have my own sub forum here...

At least half are probably accounts that have not logged in for a year.

Then there's always some that are away, on holiday, busy, don't have internet access and so on.

But 53 votes is still pretty poor.

A lot probably do use the Spy, although these threads should be bumped up to the top from time to time.

Unless we can get people to advertise in their signatures?

(Discounting those who have signature display turned off, like me.)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:56:40 »
(Discounting those who have signature display turned off, like me.)

But you've got such a long signature ಠ_ಠ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 21:28:53 »
Signatures are turned off by default in Tapatalk as well if I remember correctly? I could set some sort of PM system up but I think many people might think that's a bit too intrusive. I guess we could have an option to opt out, but I think some people might have a specific dislike of the competition but yeah.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 21:57:51 »
Or we could casually drop it into conversations in other threads!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 22:01:25 »
Signatures are turned off by default in Tapatalk as well if I remember correctly? I could set some sort of PM system up but I think many people might think that's a bit too intrusive. I guess we could have an option to opt out, but I think some people might have a specific dislike of the competition but yeah.

I would advise afghans a PM blast. I think the general concensus would be rather negative.

Or we could casually drop it into conversations in other threads!

I think this is really the best idea.

Offline Urbi

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:48:59 »
For me it's #1. I love the custom switch and the wood backplate.