Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (GB OPEN NOW)  (Read 68733 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
Alright. We're really moving now. Just got a layout confirmation and the PCB prototype pictures from the factory. Looks so good so far. There was a little delay in the factory not being able to open the file for the case that I sent them so the bent case might take a little longer than the other things. Shouldn't be long though.

Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
look good so far.

174249-0

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline UTEster750

Just stumbled across this, love the idea. I think I might need this ;)

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
Alright. We're really moving now. Just got a layout confirmation and the PCB prototype pictures from the factory. Looks so good so far. There was a little delay in the factory not being able to open the file for the case that I sent them so the bent case might take a little longer than the other things. Shouldn't be long though.

Show Image

Noticed that the PCB does not support Signature Plastics Alps ISO keycap, theirs is rotated so that the switch is the same orientation as the rest of the switches.

Offline reconsiderit

Show Image

Noticed that the PCB does not support Signature Plastics Alps ISO keycap, theirs is rotated so that the switch is the same orientation as the rest of the switches.

I completely forgot about that... It looks though that if I added another set of thru holes for the alps switches oriented as the other switches, there would be quite a bit of interference with the LEDs. I was thinking though, if you could bend those pins or somehow jump the swtiches over the surface of the PCB onto the pads, something could work.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards

Show Image

I completely forgot about that... It looks though that if I added another set of thru holes for the alps switches oriented as the other switches, there would be quite a bit of interference with the LEDs. I was thinking though, if you could bend those pins or somehow jump the swtiches over the surface of the PCB onto the pads, something could work.

I am away from my pc currently so can't show a picture but I was able to fit the rotated switch by not having leds for it since alps don't have led holes.

Offline reconsiderit

Show Image

I am away from my pc currently so can't show a picture but I was able to fit the rotated switch by not having leds for it since alps don't have led holes.

If I recall correctly. you can mount the switches upside down and forgo the LEDs alltoghter, but something that I just noticed is that theres a set of solder pads for a key that would make up a sort of split ANSI enter. Don't know why thats there and didn't notice it at the beginning, but I'm thinking of getting rid of that altogether which would make space for the solder pads that would make for an inline ALPS mount.

switchplate.co

Offline menuhin

This is how I want to use my AEK Pbt caps and my Alps switches.
It is a tight competitor in terms of Alps, just that Varmillo's VA86M Magnesium alloy cases (with 4 color options) are out there at $80+ to have, plus the kit and plate cost another $130+

But with this one I can use more keys and caps and I can have a Numpad on the left, and arrows on the right.
Even better than the Alps "Monarch".
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 August 2017, 14:03:04 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Target layout:

Offline reconsiderit

Also, an update on the layout.

Right now, this is what we have. ISO enter is compatable with the SP ALPS ISO enter as well as the original ALPS ISO enter; both with LEDs installed.

The bottom right corner, highlighted in a dark green can only take complete rows of two key sizes. I've decided that its best to change the layout to a 1u and a 1.5u compatable cluster. a complete 1u layout will still be compatable, as well as a complete 1.5u and the 1.5/1.5/1/1/1 layout. Does anyone have any more suggestions for layouts?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:55:57 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline KorbenDallas

Show Image

Right now, this is what we have. ISO enter is compatable with the SP ALPS ISO enter as well as the original ALPS ISO enter; both with LEDs installed.

Show Image

The bottom right corner, highlighted in a dark green can only take complete rows of two key sizes. I've decided that its best to change the layout to a 1u and a 1.5u compatable cluster. a complete 1u layout will still be compatable, as well as a complete 1.5u and the 1.5/1.5/1/1/1 layout. Does anyone have any more suggestions for layouts?

Sorry looking for a little clarification, the bottom right row can as of now be configured to
1/1/1/1/1/1/
1.5/1.5/1/1/1/
1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/ only?

Or can it now do both those and the 1.25u row configs show in this photo?

Offline reconsiderit

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry looking for a little clarification, the bottom right row can as of now be configured to
1/1/1/1/1/1/
1.5/1.5/1/1/1/
1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/ only?

Here's where I'm looking for some community input. The issue is that we can either have the right side bottom row be as posted above (any combo without 1.5u cap compatability) or have it as compatable with any combo without 1.25u compatability. So to answer your question, pretty much yes, but since we're still at a point in time where we can redesign, I'm thinking of getting some more input.

Although, how I see it is that most people who are gonna want the right hand arrow cluster will be able to go with the traditional 1/1/1 alt, fn and ctrl or the 1.5/1.5 alt, ctrl. If they are running a left handed arrow cluster, they can opt for a uniform row of 1/1/1/1/1/1 or 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 and utilize a full 2.75u right shift while they're at it if they want a single left arrow cluster.

switchplate.co

Offline KorbenDallas

Show Image

Show Image

1/1/1/1/1/1/
1.5/1.5/1/1/1/
1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/ only?

Here's where I'm looking for some community input. The issue is that we can either have the right side bottom row be as posted above (any combo without 1.5u cap compatability) or have it as compatable with any combo without 1.25u compatability. So to answer your question, pretty much yes, but since we're still at a point in time where we can redesign, I'm thinking of getting some more input.

Although, how I see it is that most people who are gonna want the right hand arrow cluster will be able to go with the traditional 1/1/1 alt, fn and ctrl or the 1.5/1.5 alt, ctrl. If they are running a left handed arrow cluster, they can opt for a uniform row of 1/1/1/1/1/1 or 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 and utilize a full 2.75u right shift while they're at it if they want a single left arrow cluster.

Well hmm that is a good question. those who want a right hand cluster are covered either way. I personally would prefer the new 1.5 compatabilty because I will most likely run 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 with 2.75 rshift (going to run right arrow cluster on my XD84 I just received 😉 Thanks btw). So count me down for 1.5 but definitely can see that being a split decision

Offline menuhin

If I can choose, I want the dark green to be:
1.5 1.5 1 1 1
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
If I can choose, I want the dark green to be:
1.5 1.5 1 1 1

+1 for this as well.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
FYI: There's a very similar kb to this that just released and is available for shipping.

https://www.primekb.com/products/prime_l

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
FYI: There's a very similar kb to this that just released and is available for shipping.

That keyboard is totally different, it is close to a sixty footprint but with a number pad squeezed in that makes the sixty alpha area and mods incomplete, nothing to do with the Southpaw that is a full size sixty plus a number pad.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

That keyboard is totally different, it is close to a sixty footprint but with a number pad squeezed in that makes the sixty alpha area and mods incomplete, nothing to do with the Southpaw that is a full size sixty plus a number pad.

It's quite similar in purpose, so I figured some might be interested.  It's also not Alps.  But that doesn't mean it might not be of interest to some looking at this project.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

It's quite similar in purpose, so I figured some might be interested.  It's also not Alps.  But that doesn't mean it might not be of interest to some looking at this project.

You wrote very similar, which it is not true. There is a thread to post on interesting findings, this is not it.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

You wrote very similar, which it is not true. There is a thread to post on interesting findings, this is not it.

You don't think it's similar.  Cool.  I do.  I don't see what the problem is to post this in case someone who wants a numpad on the left on a board wants it.  Why are you so stressed over semantics?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

You don't think it's similar.  Cool.  I do.  I don't see what the problem is to post this in case someone who wants a numpad on the left on a board wants it.  Why are you so stressed over semantics?

A post referring to other product is off topic in an IC thread, no matter how similar you consider that it is. If you are interested in the Southpaw please stay in topic, you can refer the other keyboard somewhere else.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

A post referring to other product is off topic in an IC thread, no matter how similar you consider that it is. If you are interested in the Southpaw please stay in topic, you can refer the other keyboard somewhere else.

Do you realize that if you'd just let it go, there would be no other topic in this?  It was a quick PSA.  If that offended you, oh well.

Offline a_ak57

My vote would be 1.5u support over 1.25u support for that bottom right cluster.  I feel like more people would opt to use 1.5/1.5/1/1/1/ over the 1/1.25/1.25/1.25/1.25 layout (if they don't just go with the 6 1u keys).

Offline reconsiderit

My vote would be 1.5u support over 1.25u support for that bottom right cluster.  I feel like more people would opt to use 1.5/1.5/1/1/1/ over the 1/1.25/1.25/1.25/1.25 layout (if they don't just go with the 6 1u keys).

Well, that looks like the layout that we're going with. Gonna be 1.5u and 1u compatability for the bottom row. Makes a little more sense.

switchplate.co

Offline KorbenDallas

Well, that looks like the layout that we're going with. Gonna be 1.5u and 1u compatability for the bottom row. Makes a little more sense.

... ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 August 2017, 03:00:59 by KorbenDallas »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Great!

Offline reconsiderit

Alright, so since there's a little of an issue with the alumium cases, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in building one of these up as a very high end custom. I've talked a little to Revo Design and have discussed working with them to get a case done for this. This would be a top-of-the line kind of aluminum case with a basically flawless finish. Of course, being something of this quality would raise the price so I'm curious to see how much people are willing to spend on something like this.

switchplate.co

Offline menuhin

Please keep the price as affordable as possible.
For "flawless" finish I myself will go with one of those Korean custom designs - their QC is of another level, and their B-stock which drops normally with a < $100-$150 discount looks almost perfect to me and the flaws need some magnifying glass to find out.
One of my TaoBao custom case basically needs just 60€ - that is the actual price they can set and still gain some profit in China.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline KorbenDallas

Depending on case design and materials $250 would probably be my limit (assuming it would still be a full kit and not just case). Anything more than that would really have to "Wow" me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
My case is not representative of most fellows here that like expensive keyboards; but, I should put it on the table, I'd prefer a low cost alternative for this, maybe the bend plate is the best option for my needs at the moment, I hope that would still be available, if only an expensive case is, I would not be in, still, I think the idea is great, the only other similar option I know about is the ALPS only alternative which name I do not remember.

As I am planning a needed build, I would greatly appreciate to get some feedback on the availability of the low cost bend plate, if it is not, I would like to know it ASAP to go with my B option.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 August 2017, 08:00:23 by ideus »

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
the only other similar option I know about is the ALPS only alternative which name I do not remember.

The Monarch - <25 of those boards exist.

Offline ipreferpie

I'm down for a more expensive Revo collab if it really is comparable to Korean custom quality, top mounted plate, brass weights and well thought out lines/design to justify the higher cost

Offline a_ak57

I think a more expensive case is fine so long as the bent case is available as a low cost option.  Though it depends on how much more expensive we're talking; I'd have to go bent plate if the other one is gonna be $400-500 or something.

Offline thad

I am looking for a workhorse board with this layout. I wouldn't pay for a high end case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline stoic-lemon

I'm interested in a Revo colab case.

Offline bearz42

Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (Prototyping)
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 16:22:54 »
This is awesome. I really hope this comes about so I can order one. Kind of my dream board

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 14:46:05 »
Alright, from what it seems, I'll be keeping the aluminum case to the same design and production guidelines as before since going for a really high end case will drive the costs straight through the roof. I want to make this something viable for a lot of people so I'd see that keeping the aluminum case affordable is important.

I realized that I still haven't posted pictures of the whole board, so here it is. The first revision of the case and all. Right now I'm working with the vendor to find a different factory to do the case. This one came out with so-so anodizing and for the price, I think I could find something better. Also, I'm working on a redesign of the 9 degree (taller) riser since this one looks really bulky and out of place.

PCB wise, the SP ISO ALPS has been corrected and should be able to take both the normal ALPS ISO enter as well as the SP ALPS ISO enter. Also, the bottom row was revised to take 1u and 1.5u so the layout should be final now. I'll try and update everything to the most recent revisions as soon as I can so as many of you guys can get an idea of where everything is and how everything will come to look like. Once I get the revised PCB and case, I'll go ahead and put up another interest check on here and reddit so that I can get everything around to launching the GB. 

switchplate.co

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 14:56:29 »
When we can expect the GB launching?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 00:28:41 »
When we can expect the GB launching?

Its TBD at the moment, but we're looking at the next month if everything goes smoothly. Worse case would most likely be sometime around November.

switchplate.co

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:19:05 »
Are the prices still reasonably on target?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:20:58 »
Are the prices still reasonably on target?

There has been multiple changes production wise during the course of course of prototyping, but I gave those inital estimates quite a lot of room, so yeah, they should still be pretty close. I'm still waiting on the final prototypes though and still need to discuss a final price with the vendor.

switchplate.co

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:52:09 »
I'm hoping for about 120-140 for the base kit and 100-ish for the "good case"

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 03:10:14 »
I am not south paw but!! I might be interested in this for MMO gaming!... I could see having my numb pad on the left as being a large boon! cause then I could ditch the MMO mouse. Use my left to cue up skills... while moving with mouse. Special if the price is as reasonable as people are saying! It be really really nice to ditch the mouse and get something nicer. I will have to keep eye on this for sure.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 09:11:30 »
I am not south paw but!! I might be interested in this for MMO gaming!... I could see having my numb pad on the left as being a large boon! cause then I could ditch the MMO mouse. Use my left to cue up skills... while moving with mouse. Special if the price is as reasonable as people are saying! It be really really nice to ditch the mouse and get something nicer. I will have to keep eye on this for sure.

This is one of the things somebody has brought up before and I ended up getting it to work with the board. The number pad on the left can also be built up as a full macro pad with a 4x5 1u grid which gives you a full 20 macros within reach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

switchplate.co

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 13:15:14 »
Not to mention that having the numpad between the keyboard and the mouse is actually less ergonomic if you're not using the numpad a whole lot more than I do. This is why I usually use a 60%, but I still want a numpad available.

Offline Miotch92

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 02:41:43 »
I really like the look of that board. Left numpad sounds really nice.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:56:11 »

This is one of the things somebody has brought up before and I ended up getting it to work with the board. The number pad on the left can also be built up as a full macro pad with a 4x5 1u grid which gives you a full 20 macros within reach

I know it would amount to a separate project, but have you considered doing something like this with an extra row on top for the F-keys? Basically a Cooler Master TK with the TK on the left? I would be so in on that? Has something like this been done?

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 11:15:14 »
Did a quick mockup of what I was thinking. Blue is unassigned, red is non-standard size, yellow is non-standard location.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 18:22:59 »
Did a quick mockup of what I was thinking. Blue is unassigned, red is non-standard size, yellow is non-standard location.

Unfortunately that won't work since the PCB doesn't have that 6th/F row.  Though that's an idea for an R2 or another buy, a southpaw 96 key layout.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 19:32:15 »
That is a pretty interesting idea. I would like to try something modular in the future. Might be a little ambitious though. For now though, I'm looking to get this finished.

The case, bent plate, and revised PCB is coming in from the factory to the vendor in China at the moment. I'll update you guys once it arrives. 

switchplate.co