Author Topic: [IC] Scribe 7 (70% /w Slidebar) UPDATE 7/16: CANCELLED  (Read 6564 times)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
[IC] Scribe 7 (70% /w Slidebar) UPDATE 7/16: CANCELLED
« on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 20:25:21 »
This product will be produced in limited quantities, but will not be sold otherwise. No group buy will take place. My apologies to interested parties.

Interest check form here>>

Renders:

Brass base snaps on using magnetic mounts.

Endless layout options

Layout Option Diagram

(Excludes HHKB and HHKB JP, which use their default layouts)

Really, you can do just about any layout that you have the caps for, but these in particular are planned for the DSA .Codex keyset, which will be the companion set to this board.

Pro

Operator

Hacker

Civilian

Proposed specs are as follows:

case(){

2-piece top mount 6061 billet Aluminium;
        6-degree incline (without base);
        Standard 60% PCB lower mount;
        HHKB Upper mount;
        Blockoffs (R0 and R5, any increment of .25u);
        100mm Slidebar mount;
        Magnetic lower mount (for use with base or other);
        Resonance isolation (Top mount Only);
        USB out ((2) on Underside, left and right);
        ~2-2.5lbs (5 lbs with base);
        Anodized{

Black,
                Antique Gunmetal,
                Dark Gray,
                Purple,
                Orange,
                White,
                Blue
                };
        };
modular_brass_base(){
        Modular magnetic mount;
        CNC formed 3mm plate;
        c280 "Muntz";
        8-degree incline;
        Compatible with magnetic mounted;
        Ceramic Coated (Tarnish and scratch proof);
}

Plate(){
        Choice of Anodized Aluminium, Brushed Stainless, or Brass.
        MX or ALPS mount
        Upper or lower mount
}

PCB(){
        Bluetooth 4.0 wireless/USB-C wired connection;
        MX or ALPS mount;
        N-Key Rollover;
        ATMega32u4 Chipset;
        Lithium Polymer Battery;
        68-75 keys depending on layout;
        Split Space,Shift, Return Support;
        ANSI and ISO compatible;
        Integrated slidebar support;
        In-switch LED Support;

All feedback is appreciated.
Thanks for the support :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:41:11 by SpectreiiI »

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
Re: [IC] Scribe 7
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 20:33:40 »
consider my interest piqued !! USB-C ...and that slide bar is so interesting  :thumb:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline neralo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 20:36:35 »
Damn this looks great. Big fan of the slidebar, been wanting one since seeing that reddit post.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline Liam

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 20:42:36 »
Better start saving again :))
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 09:27:09 »
Added a few layout examples, Interest check form is up.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
I really like the layout options, and the slider is muy interesante!

I'm not a huge fan of the angle at the back (is it supposed to looks like a pen/pencil?) but could probably live with it.

Key compatibility, the steep height/angle, and the ambitious foot design are my only worries. Good work on the design though

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
I really like the layout options, and the slider is muy interesante!

I'm not a huge fan of the angle at the back (is it supposed to looks like a pen/pencil?) but could probably live with it.

Key compatibility, the steep height/angle, and the ambitious foot design are my only worries. Good work on the design though
I have added a layout grid which should alleviate any concerns you have over key compatibility. The board can be configured to suit just about any layout you desire, save ortho. The keys shown in the pro, operator, and hacker layouts will definitely be made in the .Codex set, but you by no means have to use those layouts.

I am looking into including magnetic feet that will allow the board to be adjusted to 4 and 2 degrees incline. It would use the same magnetic mounts as the base, so it shouldn't be too complicated.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline iFreilicht

Re: [IC] Scribe 7 (70% /w Slidebar) UPDATE: Full Layout Grid
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 07:57:12 »
Holy **** that looks awesome! I like the aesthetic much better than on the Scribe 6, the idea with the two base feet is very unique and looks great, too!

Layout options are pretty amazing as well, support for .25u stagger isn't something I've seen in custom boards before. Have you tried whether supporting all these layouts (especially for the spacebar) can even work electrically? I'd fear that too many pads would be overlapping for that to actually work. Bluetooth and USB connectivity is pretty cool as well, but it will probably take quite some time to implement.

Really like how you integrated the slide-bar as well, it just fits perfectly into the visuals.

I think this is the board you need to pursue, this is some good endgame material, but I think this might take a very long time until it's done.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline SBN

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 10:02:17 »
Wow, looks stunning!

I really like the concept of the modular magnetic feet and the implementation of the slidebar. Plus all the features of USB-C, Bluetooth, LEDs, etc...sounds nearly too good to be true!

But one question:
In the render of the possible layout options are a lot of different options for the bottommost row. How are the different case spaces on the left and right side of this row handled? For example there is no space in the Civilian and very much empty space in the Hacker layout. Will the case be ordered for a specific layout?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 21:01:53 »
Holy **** that looks awesome! I like the aesthetic much better than on the Scribe 6, the idea with the two base feet is very unique and looks great, too!

Layout options are pretty amazing as well, support for .25u stagger isn't something I've seen in custom boards before. Have you tried whether supporting all these layouts (especially for the spacebar) can even work electrically? I'd fear that too many pads would be overlapping for that to actually work. Bluetooth and USB connectivity is pretty cool as well, but it will probably take quite some time to implement.

Really like how you integrated the slide-bar as well, it just fits perfectly into the visuals.

I think this is the board you need to pursue, this is some good endgame material, but I think this might take a very long time until it's done.
Yes, I will be releasing a Scribe 6 that uses this design language as well. Just in case it's not clear, the brass (feet) are formed from a single 3.5lb brass plate and to the shape you see in the images. It's really just one brass plate base. I am looking into fitting diffused acrylic blocks into the recesses to reinforce the structure and act as lenses for rgb underlighting. You won't be able to see the acrylic from eye level, but the lighting should be quite a spectacle.

As far as the PCB goes, I have a few tricks up my sleeve ;)
Wow, looks stunning!

I really like the concept of the modular magnetic feet and the implementation of the slidebar. Plus all the features of USB-C, Bluetooth, LEDs, etc...sounds nearly too good to be true!

But one question:
In the render of the possible layout options are a lot of different options for the bottommost row. How are the different case spaces on the left and right side of this row handled? For example there is no space in the Civilian and very much empty space in the Hacker layout. Will the case be ordered for a specific layout?
Yes, the case can be ordered with or without blockoffs. They can be specified in any .25u (.1875") width increment on the bottom row for no extra charge.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 June 2017, 21:17:14 by SpectreiiI »

Offline Liam

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 08:26:24 »
Tbh, I don't really like having 2 USB ports in my keyboard as nobody uses them anyway. I'd prefer not having them for a clean look of the case.

Btw, what color will the PCB, the plate, and the brass be? And, do you have an estimate what the full kit will cost?

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:26:16 »
Tbh, I don't really like having 2 USB ports in my keyboard as nobody uses them anyway. I'd prefer not having them for a clean look of the case.

Speak for yourself, I think USB ports on keyboards are pretty neat. Not a primary feature for me to look out for, but certainly nice to have.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 18:45:37 »

Btw, what color will the PCB, the plate, and the brass be? And, do you have an estimate what the full kit will cost?
USB ports are on the underside, so you won'the see them unless you are hooking something up. They are also required for the slidebars. The colors are the same as the Scribe 6. I will update them on this interest check when I get a chance.

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:00:55 »
This looks great. One question, will the feet be sold in different variations? The reason I ask is because brass gets tarnished over time

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:44:52 »
This looks great. One question, will the feet be sold in different variations? The reason I ask is because brass gets tarnished over time

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
You can get the Base in titanium nitride copted brass or stainless steel. Neither will ever tarnish and the stainless steel version comes in a multitude of colors. The plate has the same options with the same results.

Offline Liam

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 08:41:42 »

USB ports are on the underside, so you won'the see them unless you are hooking something up. They are also required for the slidebars. The colors are the same as the Scribe 6. I will update them on this interest check when I get a chance.

So why does the slidebar require an USB port? Do we need to plug it in? And tbh, I've never seen a single person uses USB ports from keyboards because I think they establish unstable connections no matter what (trust me I've used many expensive, well-built USB hubs before and nothing worked).

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 09:23:08 »
So why does the slidebar require an USB port? Do we need to plug it in?

It is a USB device. So yes, plugging it in is mandatory.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 09:35:30 »
Call me silly, but what real applications would the slidebar have (or is it predefined)? Is it static or will the key on it have a spring to pull/push it back to the center or something?

The idea and layouts are nice. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Liam

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 10:38:36 »

I thought it was built in the keyboard like a part of the PCB :p

Offline Shivam

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 14:34:14 »
Underglow option would be nice if that's possible.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 17:11:50 »
Call me silly, but what real applications would the slidebar have (or is it predefined)? Is it static or will the key on it have a spring to pull/push it back to the center or something?

The idea and layouts are nice. :)
It has a variable frequency drive motor controller which sets it to the position contextual to it's function. It also has force feedback. The uses are numerous. I am currently writing a software package which takes advantage of them.

I thought it was built in the keyboard like a part of the PCB :p
It runs on it's own microcontroller. It could have been integrated into the pcb, but it makes more sense to leave it as a modular component for maintenance access.

RGB underglow is standard. It just isn't illustrated, yet.

Offline Shivam

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 15:58:36 »
RGB underglow is standard. It just isn't illustrated, yet.

Sweet! Can't wait for updates :thumb: