Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, SHIPPED/MANUFACTURING  (Read 104459 times)

Offline autobot

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, MANUFACTURING
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 14:33:38 »
Please consider adding room for the 1UP FC660C controller in the upcoming case. Or, even better, include a custom controller in the box!

As far as I can tell, that one is a drop-in replacement for the sub-PCB that already comes with the FC660C. If so, I think all I need to do is design as normal for the included sub-PCB and the 1up controller should be compatible, no?

Might be worth if a member with both pcb's confirm dimensions.

Offline energyd

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 15:05:25 »
How I wish I could make the novatouch programmable

Offline deterouni

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 15:20:08 »
I made a few remaining "Norbatouch" cases available as of today online (including some spare riser feet). A handful of the anodized ones are in stock and ship within a few days. Powder will be finished-to-order (from already-completed, machined parts) with the usual turnaround of a couple of months. These are the last of the final ones I'm likely ever to make of this design (since Cooler Master has retired the underlying keyboard).

r2.5 update: I shipped the last batch of anodized cases yesterday. The r2.5 powder finishes are slowly but surely trickling out of the powder shop, and I'm shipping them as I get them. In short: I'm finally putting this one to bed! :) It's been a very fun project, but other designs and project have been calling to me, so it's nice to be wrapping things up here. Thanks, as always, everyone for your patience and support through this process. Once I get these last powder cases out the door over the coming weeks, it's on to new keyboard adventures! I hope some of you will come along with me for the ride.  :cool:

By other projects any chance of that fc660c case?  :)

Yes.  :cool:

RIP Wallet! So excited. I'm in for at least 2.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 20:23:15 »
I made a few remaining "Norbatouch" cases available as of today online (including some spare riser feet). A handful of the anodized ones are in stock and ship within a few days. Powder will be finished-to-order (from already-completed, machined parts) with the usual turnaround of a couple of months. These are the last of the final ones I'm likely ever to make of this design (since Cooler Master has retired the underlying keyboard).

r2.5 update: I shipped the last batch of anodized cases yesterday. The r2.5 powder finishes are slowly but surely trickling out of the powder shop, and I'm shipping them as I get them. In short: I'm finally putting this one to bed! :) It's been a very fun project, but other designs and project have been calling to me, so it's nice to be wrapping things up here. Thanks, as always, everyone for your patience and support through this process. Once I get these last powder cases out the door over the coming weeks, it's on to new keyboard adventures! I hope some of you will come along with me for the ride.  :cool:

This will probably look amazing if the latest projects are any indicator. Haven't tried a 660c yet, so will add that to the list.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 22:55:10 »

My mind was just blown.

Offline FSund

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 00:35:15 »
Please consider adding room for the 1UP FC660C controller in the upcoming case. Or, even better, include a custom controller in the box!

As far as I can tell, that one is a drop-in replacement for the sub-PCB that already comes with the FC660C. If so, I think all I need to do is design as normal for the included sub-PCB and the 1up controller should be compatible, no?

I don't have a FC660C (yet!), so I don't really know for sure. But from this video it looks like you're correct, it's the same size as the original controller.

How I wish I could make the novatouch programmable

There actually is a way to make it programmable, via Hasu's USB-to-USB protocol converter.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 00:37:59 by FSund »
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline syke

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 11:34:58 »
A pity the retro refrigerator color is not available.  :-[

Offline strigif0rm3s

I got the last one ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline zslane

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 11:59:51 »

Maybe. I mean, very few keycap sets actually seem to match up well with it. Its shade of green turned out to be a wee bit too idiosyncratic, I think.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site

Maybe. I mean, very few keycap sets actually seem to match up well with it. Its shade of green turned out to be a wee bit too idiosyncratic, I think.

My view is the color is best used with a complementary set rather than trying to match it precisely to a set in terms of color. It looks beautiful with plain old white and gray key caps, for example.

Offline zslane

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 14:58:27 »
Yes, I agree completely!

Offline zslane

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 15:30:23 »
My indigo blue case just arrived and it is stunning! :thumb:  :D

Thank you so much for running this one-off for me, Ryan.

As soon as I get a Novatouch installed in it and some keycaps put on, I will post some photos.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 12:45:19 »
My indigo blue case just arrived and it is stunning! :thumb:  :D

Thank you so much for running this one-off for me, Ryan.

As soon as I get a Novatouch installed in it and some keycaps put on, I will post some photos.

Yay! I'm so glad you're happy with it. It was quite a striking color.

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 12:57:12 »
Which powder colors from R2.5 have already shipped and which are still in progress?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:04:28 »
Which powder colors from R2.5 have already shipped and which are still in progress?

I've shipped most Retros, Royal wrinkles, and Enigma blacks, but there are still a few stragglers in those due to a few I returned to the powder shop to be recoated after I inspected them. White and enigma gray are next in line.

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:11:34 »
Thanks for the update!

Offline strigif0rm3s

I've shipped most Retros, Royal wrinkles, and Enigma blacks, but there are still a few stragglers in those due to a few I returned to the powder shop to be recoated after I inspected them. White and enigma gray are next in line.
Does that include the late-comers? I ordered an "extra" retro a week or 2 ago.

Offline norbauer

Does that include the late-comers? I ordered an "extra" retro a week or 2 ago.

Yes, the extras are batched in with the r2.5 cases at the powder shop. The listing for the extras said a 1-2 months (from a week ago) for the powder coat options, which is probably a good average estimate for those that have yet to ship from r2.5 as well, though of course some, such as enigma gray, will be earlier.

Offline MoebiuS451

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 03:42:45 »
Hi Rian,
Extra items in the shop (like galactic purple) are yet produced items or items added in forecoming batches of the powdershop ?

Offline norbauer

Hi Rian,
Extra items in the shop (like galactic purple) are yet produced items or items added in forecoming batches of the powdershop ?

Those are already on order with the powder shop and being produced as extras at the same time as the r2.5 cases of the same color.

Offline zslane

« Reply #270 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 18:39:31 »
Norbauer Novatouch Dasher:

187389-0

Norbauer Novatouch Nautilus:

187391-1

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #271 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 18:42:44 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That nautilus is nice.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline strigif0rm3s

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Sexy af

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 19:50:18 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Both look awesome, congrats!

What was the process for getting a custom color? I didn't realize that was an option! I assume you paid a premium?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #274 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 22:19:00 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

What was the process for getting a custom color? I didn't realize that was an option! I assume you paid a premium?

It's a long story, but it was basically a favor specifically for zslane due to a previous order of his getting screwed up. Unfortunately, a bunch of special one-off colors aren't something I can normally do--the amount of work and complexity just gets overwhelming. =\

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #275 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 10:14:30 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Absolutely gorgeous. Dasher matches perfectly IMO.

Offline zslane

« Reply #276 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:36:59 »
Yeah, I am really pleased with how the indigo color matches up with the Dasher keycaps. That was the whole idea, and originally I had gone with Galactic Blue, but I think this turned out even better than Galactic Blue would have.

I also have to say that a silenced/lubed Novatouch with SA keycaps in a Norbauer case is an absolute dream to type on. I couldn't be happier!

Actually, the only thing that could possibly make me happier would be to have Realforce RGB/R2 cases from Ryan in the same colors...

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #277 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 16:35:47 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

It's a long story, but it was basically a favor specifically for zslane due to a previous order of his getting screwed up. Unfortunately, a bunch of special one-off colors aren't something I can normally do--the amount of work and complexity just gets overwhelming. =\

Totally understood. I'm sure running a GB like this is already a ton of effort without accommodating a bunch of custom colors. Getting excited for my tactical grey!

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #278 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 20:46:27 »
I keep seeing new posts here and keep expecting to see "astrophysical purple has shipped" but it isn't so  :(
That color is amazing zslane, it's cool you were able to get a matching color for the set you made!
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 20:04:55 »
So I know that these cases don't fit other keyboards than the ones listed, but hear me out.

I have two of the R1 cases.  I like them a lot.  However, I'm always saddened by the fact that I cannot put GMK caps on them.  (My are both mx boards).  Yes, I'm one of the weirdos who notices that GMK caps make contact on R3 of upside down MX switches. 

Anywhooo... what about swapping out the PCB?  I mean... that should work, right?  I've swapped the switches on one of the boards and it was pretty simple.  I'm thinking I could use the stock plate and put a mx TKL plate from LFKeyboards in it.  That PCB has a  JST-PH connector in about the same position. 

Anyone see an obvious reason why this wouldn't work?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #280 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 20:16:16 »
So I know that these cases don't fit other keyboards than the ones listed, but hear me out.

I have two of the R1 cases.  I like them a lot.  However, I'm always saddened by the fact that I cannot put GMK caps on them.  (My are both mx boards).  Yes, I'm one of the weirdos who notices that GMK caps make contact on R3 of upside down MX switches. 

Anywhooo... what about swapping out the PCB?  I mean... that should work, right?  I've swapped the switches on one of the boards and it was pretty simple.  I'm thinking I could use the stock plate and put a mx TKL plate from LFKeyboards in it.  That PCB has a  JST-PH connector in about the same position. 

You want the obvious reason? Here it is:

The spacing between the main alphas cluster and the Function row is different between the Novatouch/Rapid-i and Filco keyboards, and Filco/Phantom compatible PCBs will not work with cases made for the Novatouch.

If you want to use a Filco/Phantom compatible PCB, you will need to get a Phantom-compatible PCB methinks
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 20:24:27 »

The spacing between the main alphas cluster and the Function row is different between the Novatouch/Rapid-i and Filco keyboards, and Filco/Phantom compatible PCBs will not work with cases made for the Novatouch.

If you want to use a Filco/Phantom compatible PCB, you will need to get a Phantom-compatible PCB methinks

weird, i'm looking at my filco and my masterkeys and they look identical.  Maybe it's like a fraction of a mm off?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2018, 21:02:25 by reececonrad »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #282 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 23:13:48 »

weird, i'm looking at my filco and my masterkeys and they look identical.  Maybe it's like a fraction of a mm off?

it's like .25u vs .5u, hard to tell
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 04:37:12 »

If you've got calipers sitting nearby, it's easy to verify this.

Grab your calipers and measure the stem-to-stem distance between Esc and Tilde (or Scroll Lock/home or PrtScr/Insert), and you can see for yourself that Filco has more separation between the F row and numrow
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 11:14:04 »

If you've got calipers sitting nearby, it's easy to verify this.

Grab your calipers and measure the stem-to-stem distance between Esc and Tilde (or Scroll Lock/home or PrtScr/Insert), and you can see for yourself that Filco has more separation between the F row and numrow

I see now.  Looks to be about 1.75mm different.  Oh well.  They're still nice cases for DSA and SA caps

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 17:32:58 »

Can you explain a little better what you mean by "GMK caps make contact on R3 of upside down MX switches"? I bought this case to use with a Masterkeys Pro S and GMK caps so you have me worried something won't look right.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 17:37:36 »

Can you explain a little better what you mean by "GMK caps make contact on R3 of upside down MX switches"? I bought this case to use with a Masterkeys Pro S and GMK caps so you have me worried something won't look right.

I'll let him speak for himself, of course, but I'm provisionally assuming Reece must have some kind of unusual configuration, as there are pics all over the web of GMK sets on my cases and if they didn't fit somehow, I think I would have heard of it by now. Maybe the key phrase there is "upside down?"

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 17:39:33 »

If the LED's in your switches face up (north) then the inside of the asdf row keys (R3) on GMK profile keys will make contact with the switch housings rather than bottoming out completely.  The case doesn't make any difference.

Here's an example:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2016/03/cooler-master-masterkeys-pro-l-review/mkp-8b.jpg
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2018, 17:42:57 by MajorKoos »

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 17:58:31 »

If the LED's in your switches face up (north) then the inside of the asdf row keys (R3) on GMK profile keys will make contact with the switch housings rather than bottoming out completely.  The case doesn't make any difference.

Here's an example:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2016/03/cooler-master-masterkeys-pro-l-review/mkp-8b.jpg

Much like scratchiness of switches, some people are sensitive to it and others are not or don't care. I'm among the crowd that isn't bothered by this "incompatibility" of GMK caps with north-facing LEDs.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #289 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 18:05:56 »
Ah, the keyboard world. Never devoid of complexity, nuance, and matters of exceedingly subjective taste. :-*

Offline zslane

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 18:42:38 »
Indeed. I have found that only SA keycaps sound and feel right to me on a Novatouch. DSA and GMK both have rather shallow internal keycap shells, and on many of the stabilized keys, the caps smack the plate, ruining the lovely thock sound of the Topre switches.

But that's okay because I absolutely love SA. I expect MT3 to be similarly sublime on a Novatouch.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #291 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 20:42:01 »
is anyone else having static discharge issues with these guys?  i don't have any problems at all at home where i run a humidifier, but at the office it's really dry and i get shocked frequently after sitting down and putting my hands on the keyboard.  sometimes the shock is strong enough to reset the keyboard, and a couple of times it's actually confused the USB controller on my PC enough that i have to reboot to get it to recognize USB devices again.  i guess this is a liability of metal cases versus plastic, but does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it?  would it be wise to somehow run the ground of the USB wire to the case of the keyboard or something?  it's a slight annoyance when the keyboard resets, but the fact that it's confused the USB controller a few times to the point that i had to reboot makes me worry a bit about permanent damage to either my keyboard or PC.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 20:44:29 »
Indeed. I have found that only SA keycaps sound and feel right to me on a Novatouch. DSA and GMK both have rather shallow internal keycap shells, and on many of the stabilized keys, the caps smack the plate, ruining the lovely thock sound of the Topre switches.

But that's okay because I absolutely love SA. I expect MT3 to be similarly sublime on a Novatouch.

the stabilized novatouch sliders are known to be a tad short.  i've heard some people replace them with JTK sliders for this reason, but that sounds like way too much work to me (unless i decide to go full BKE).  for now, i've just slipped o-rings on all three stems of my stabilized keycaps and it lets me use GMK keys on my novatouch in peace.  haven't tried DSA yet but i suspect it would work the same.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 20:45:57 »
is anyone else having static discharge issues with these guys?  i don't have any problems at all at home where i run a humidifier, but at the office it's really dry and i get shocked frequently after sitting down and putting my hands on the keyboard.  sometimes the shock is strong enough to reset the keyboard, and a couple of times it's actually confused the USB controller on my PC enough that i have to reboot to get it to recognize USB devices again.  i guess this is a liability of metal cases versus plastic, but does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it?  would it be wise to somehow run the ground of the USB wire to the case of the keyboard or something?  it's a slight annoyance when the keyboard resets, but the fact that it's confused the USB controller a few times to the point that i had to reboot makes me worry a bit about permanent damage to either my keyboard or PC.

This happens to me constantly, I've yet to find a proper solution except to ground the USB cable. I'm not sure what is causing it exactly but I do have self liner inside my case to prevent scratches but I don't see how that would cause it.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #294 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 21:28:41 »
how are you grounding the USB cable?

Offline zslane

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 12:31:32 »
the stabilized novatouch sliders are known to be a tad short.  i've heard some people replace them with JTK sliders for this reason...

Interesting. I will have to try that sometime (I have a whole set of JTK sliders that I'm not using for anything at the moment).

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 13:25:48 »
Got my tactical black case from the extras; while I was swapping my Novatouch into that I also took the time to throw in BKE Light domes and KBDfans silencing rings and boy howdy do I like this thing.  Also currently using the dev/tty caps and assessing how much I like that profile, but I can tell I'm going to have a real battle for supremacy when my Kishsaver arrives from Ellipse's group buy.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 17:33:13 »

This happens to me constantly, I've yet to find a proper solution except to ground the USB cable. I'm not sure what is causing it exactly but I do have self liner inside my case to prevent scratches but I don't see how that would cause it.

I get this on all of my metal cases.  Tex low profile, m65-a, E8-V1,  Norbauer  cases, igk61, you name it.  Only some of them allow the shock to travel from the case to the PCB. Unfortunately it’s the expensive ones and I’m afraid they’re going to eventually short.

I’ve been running a humidifier 24/7 in my computer room for the last few weeks.  It’s certainly helped. I also make sure to touch a metal shelf beside my desk when I sit down.   Looking into getting an esd mat for th Same  purpose

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 21:48:50 »

I'll let him speak for himself, of course, but I'm provisionally assuming Reece must have some kind of unusual configuration, as there are pics all over the web of GMK sets on my cases and if they didn't fit somehow, I think I would have heard of it by now. Maybe the key phrase there is "upside down?"

My guess is that most of the people who use this case are using it on a Novatouch.  The issue is not present on the Novatouch keyboard because the switches (sliders) are the same on top and bottom.  It wouldn't matter if they were up or down or left or right

However, I have a Rapid-i in one and a Masterkeys pro S in another.  Both of these keyboards have switches positioned so that the leds shine on TOP of the switch, instead of the bottom.  The logo will read upside down, which is why I refer to them as upside down.  The issue is NOT the leds getting in the way.  The issue is the switch housing.  The housing drops off at a steep angle very quickly on the LED side, the side that would usually come closest to the wall of the keycap botom.  The top side, however, plateaus out for a bit.  When you place the switch upside down, this plateau makes contact with the inner wall of cherry profile (gmk, ePBT) keycaps on the "QWERTY" and "ASDF" rows.

The easiest way to hear it is to press the key down about 1/2 way and then, firmly press until it bottoms out.  On every row except the ones mentioned above, you will hear the switch bottom out inside of its housing.  On the rows I mentioned (the rows with the shortest profile caps) you will hear a different, muted noise. This noise is the sound of the keycap making contact with the switch housing, that plateau I mentioned.

It has nothing to do with the LEDs.  You can completely remove them and still feel it.

Yes, I see that WASD sells GMK caps with their VP3 boards and other boards that have upside down switches.  I have no idea why people don't take time to notice these things. I can't imagine how people can be so particular as to go through the trouble of doing things like installing o-rings and lubricating switches and never notice this glaring issue.  You can HEAR it.  You can FEEL it. 

I thought I was crazy when I first noticed it.  18 keyboards later, I'm pretty sure about it.  Luckily, I noticed this sooner than later in my collection.  I only own 4 keyboards with switches this way.

Maybe people can't feel it, like switch scratchiness. But I don't know how you can't hear it.  It removes 1/2 of the signature clack of mechanical keys :)

The good news is there are always options/workarounds.  Like I said, SA and DSA caps have no issue.  Also, OEM caps like thick Ducky caps and the new Cubic profile by Tai-Hoa work great.

Other people are aware of the issue with upside down switches.  Some makers in these forums are slowly starting to notice and correct the problem.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 February 2018, 21:52:49 by reececonrad »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 22:19:06 »

I get this on all of my metal cases.  Tex low profile, m65-a, E8-V1,  Norbauer  cases, igk61, you name it.  Only some of them allow the shock to travel from the case to the PCB. Unfortunately it’s the expensive ones and I’m afraid they’re going to eventually short.

I’ve been running a humidifier 24/7 in my computer room for the last few weeks.  It’s certainly helped. I also make sure to touch a metal shelf beside my desk when I sit down.   Looking into getting an esd mat for th Same  purpose

Interesting. I've never experienced this, but I've heard one other report of someone having static discharges with one of my cases. It's nice in any case to confirm that it's not specific just to my cases and is just (as one would expect) an issue of sitting down to and touching a huge capacitive chunk of metal. Because I had the luxury of designing a breakout board on my subsequent RealForce cases, the case body is actually grounded on those. However, I'm not sure if that would help with the static discharge issue, as I believe the static discharge is just a case of a charge in your body finding its way from your body to a place it would rather be, either to ground or a less charged object--in the same way it would if you you were statically charged and touched a metal lamp, etc.

The anodized and powder-coated surface of the case means the surfaces are not conductive per se (you can verify this with a multi-meter, which I have done), but a big hunk of aluminum is still probably more capacitive than most objects in one's environment and thus this kind of static discharge can happen (in the same way that it happens when you get statically charged and touch another uncharged person, even if that person is insulated from the ground). You could try adding insulation between the bottom of the PCB and the case, such as with foam, but if it's a strong discharge, it might not prevent the jump to the PCB. Obviously, there is no electrical contact between the PCB's circuitry and the housing, but that's when it comes to the low-power charges that float around in USB devices. When it comes to static discharges, I believe those can be much stronger and can thus arc relatively greater distances.

If anybody else knows solutions that have been used on other CNC cases, I'd love to hear them. The requisite accessories of the keyboard hobby are extensive enough as it is for us to have to add a home humidifier onto the list. ;) I guess the seasonal upside is that humidity generally gets better once the winter is over and static discharges become less likely.